Ennis House Tiles from Blade Runner

Hey Mike - thanks for chiming in!

I guess I got a pretty good deal on mine, huh? :) Of course I got it at a fire sale price, but I would have easily paid $40 for it too!

Since it wouldn't be cost-effective to use your vac-formed tiles to cover an entire wall (or room), can these tile "cavities" be used to make, say, plaster or expanding foam castings? I'd hate to ruin the only full-size tile I have... Perhaps make the new vac-forms out of thick ABS?

My other thought was to create an aluminum tool and have these injection-molded in expandable foam, that way they'd be solid with a flat back for double-sided tape or tile adhesive mounting. I could get quotes, but I'll defer to Mike or anyone else (SD Studios? Rylo?) who has the means and funds to do so - the tooling could easily come out to $5K or more, and I don't have that kind of cash'olla, nor can I deduct it as a business expense. :(

Suggestions appreciated!

Yes,
That is one of my tiles I made a few years back. If you guys want some of these then PM me. I am open to making some more with the mold I have. I will not give any prices on this thread. But they will not be $5.00 .

Just to let you know I love those mini tiles, There great.

HMS Mike

I am interested in these of course, but the idea is a way to make them affordable to be made in large numbers, enough to cover a wall. The first person who can do that wins the award ;)

Andy

I am interested in these of course, but the idea is a way to make them affordable to be made in large numbers, enough to cover a wall. The first person who can do that wins the award ;)

Andy

Contract a bulk order with a shop in China. Other than that, the only way you're gonna get it done cheap is if you trick local children into making them for you with fun caustic chemicals.

I would be in for a Vacuum formed copy. Especially if I can have permission to try and use it as a female mold for my ideas with paper and foam. I am pretty sure this can be done.

Andy

Contract a bulk order with a shop in China
I can do that!

I have good contacts in Guangzhou who can get me anything, and they'll even help do the quality control before anything's shipped to me. So far I ahven't been disappointed :)

Make a master injection mold and just churn them out like tupperwear!

But aren't any project involving the Ennis House tend to get a C&D, or even attract a lawsuit rather quickly? :confused

I added the draft angles last night - the top square and the two ribs protruding from it get more generous angles than all the other features.

If you like, shoot me your e-mail so I can forward you the 3D file for quotation.

Some questions, though: who will put up the capital for tooling and mass production? What material will they shoot in? Will they paint/fleck the tiles before shipping? Does your factory have an MOQ? If they ship a container full of tiles, who will pay for the FOB freight, customs duties & port fees, trucking, warehousing, and crating & packing supplies for large orders?

By my calculation, assuming 16" x 16" tiles, to cover a 10' x 12' room (4 x 8' high walls), one would need roughly 198 tiles - minus door & windows, ceiling not included:

tiledroom.jpg

Could any of us really afford these quantities to make the project worthwhile?

I can do that!

I have good contacts in Guangzhou who can get me anything, and they'll even help do the quality control before anything's shipped to me. So far I ahven't been disappointed :)

Make a master injection mold and just churn them out like tupperwear!

But aren't any project involving the Ennis House tend to get a C&D, or even attract a lawsuit rather quickly? :confused

Last edited:
Just wanted to post up that I noticed repros of the tiles in the Farscape episode "Till the Blood Runs Clear". They built whole walls out of what looks like cast concrete/plaster tiles:

PDVD_116.jpg

PDVD_119.jpg

PDVD_121.jpg

So the tiles have made it to Australia. :lol

They used them another time on Farscape too, when they were in some giant maze like room. I wish I could remeber more about the episode, sorry.

As far as the tiles being affordable enough to fill a room, if they could be done for around a 1$ each, I say yes it can. If we can find someone who could do blister pack forms and everybody commit to over a hundred of them, it seems even more feasable to me.
Andy

Last edited:
That's how I did our house - I made a polyurethane mold & cast 4 or 5 tiles a night in the garage out of architechtural plaster till I had about 150 tiles. To fill a room your gonna need 1000 or more tiles. I'd splurge and make a gang mold to get at least 4 at a time.

My mix on the plaster included a fluid added to the water to make the plaster more weather resistant and 1/3 sand to 2/3 plaster.

One of the bigger problems I had was vibrating the bubbles out of the mold. I used a sprinkling of talc for mold release and poured the parts on a plastic table in the garage & then tapped the bottom of the table & around the mold with a baseball bat - Got most of the bubbles out. For the scale of production you want I'd go ahead & bolt a concrete vibrator to your table & run it while you pour & for a couple minutes after.

To flatten the backs of the tiles & rough them up for adhesion I just rubbed them on my concrete driveway a bit.

Good Luck!

If I ever get around to this, I'm not going to cover entire walls, just a single strip along the top of them, or around the near middle like a chair rail. Maybe one or two vertical strips between furniture or the like.

My Idea to make an entire room is based on the fact that his apartment had a stepped layering of different levels, and non patterned tiles too. I am making a stencil to paint the majority of the room with a stencil for a faux 3D feel, stippling the more raised parts of the block with a textured lighter colored paint, and a flat dark background. I am thinking I might have to use three different shades at least for full effect. Then I could use the actual 3D tiles to create the the detailing (ridge along ceiling), and maybe one finished wall backdrop, or wall section. I would obviously prefer to have the full room done in the tiles, but that will be a long time down the road.

Andy

I purchased them from the evilbay. An architect in los angeles owns a few tiles and has been selling them on there. He is a great seller.

I consider getting the 16 inch ones, but they are way to big and expensive. I'm literally out of room, and the only space I have left is a small section on the wall. The 8 inch were a perfect fit

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back