Deagostini Falcon. Anyone seen this?

I don't think so, I think it's just something for people to look at, doesn't look that good, or accurate

It doesn't have to be. It's just a concept model. They didn't want to spend the time making the rest of it when all they really need was to see the new dish in context. It's not for reference for the final model, it's just a study model.

Thought you guys stateside might like to see the progress on the lower hull by issue #15....I'm not building the interior until I have everything but I am putting the frame together....

Mightily impressed by the frame and the size is jaw-dropping....

Test fit of the hull plates shows the inconsistency of the panel shades....good job I'll be painting mine....

I don't think so, I think it's just something for people to look at, doesn't look that good, or accurate
Agreed! Kinda looks like crap.

It doesn't have to be. It's just a concept model. They didn't want to spend the time making the rest of it when all they really need was to see the new dish in context. It's not for reference for the final model, it's just a study model.
Yea but who are "they"? Lucas film, Disney? Whoever produced it will tell us a lot about what it is?

pictures of the prototype deagostini falcon and some of the kit parts to come in the link below.

the prototype is quite frankly appalling. i did not realise stevie wonder painted star wars models in his spare time.

the saving grace is the kit parts actually look ok.

http://imgur.com/a/DEM6D

edit......these are not my pictures i'm only passing on the link

Last edited:
pictures of the prototype deagostini falcon and some of the kit parts to come in the link below.

the prototype is quite frankly appalling. i did not realise stevie wonder painted star wars models in his spare time.

Well...we can already tell the parts we got so far are either #1 painted better.... or #2 hardly painted at all...

Clearly this was a bad paint job...but thankfull the parts (so far) have no gone out painted like this...

Those pics of the falcon totally gutted me I hope that was not used in the movie just for the new dish reference like others mentioned

It's not for use on screen. It's a study model, made by the art department, like the new X-Wing. Neither will be seen on screen, they are are study models, proof of concept only. The ships in the movie are CG.

I did not ever expect that the paint job would be anywhere near good. It is impossible to maintain the level of "sameness" over an extended period of time. Which is why I plan to totally repaint mine when it's done and not work on each hull piece as it comes in. If I were to do each part as it came in it would look like a patch work quilt. Each panel would be a little off from the other. Just like it would as it comes in the mail. The one thing I'm wondering is if the final engine vents are gonna be solid or if there are going to be PE grill covers? From the pics it looks like they are solid and that would suck!

Well the DeAgostini is studio scale,.....Its emulating the 32' which had solid vents

When the MR Falcon came out it was the same,......improvements/modifications made was the cockpit (dunno about the turret wells)

I'm sure modifications could be made to add fan details & open grilles,.....but then you'd be moving away from what the studio model looked like

.....in any case the photos of the prototype look amazing.......great details & proportions,.....I'm sure everyone will be repainting anyway

J

Yeah... definitely want the open vents. Don't know why, they just look more realistic then the closed vents. This is definitely getting a repaint, but only after all the hull parts are obtained.

Ouch. Hadn't seen those pics before. That wouldn't even look good on the radio.
Mike Todd

According to the booth attendant, its the prototype and was painted in a rush. Its also off the first tooling, not the second, so it's not a good representative of what we're going to get with this kit. Besides, the paint job really doesn't matter too much seeing as I'm gonna be repainting it to when all the hull pieces get here. What matters most is that all the underlying parts are where and what they should be.

also steve "i owe zorg money" dymszyzmo has said deagostini will get the kit to 90% of his painting master and he will show us the final 10% to finish it off.

right now the parts don't look anywhere near 90%. maybe 9.0%

Thanks for the photos zorg! I think this thing looks amazing and is spot on accept for the paint. Look at the detail on the rear. Those look like plantons, not molded plastic which is good. All the detail and shape looks there! Definitely don't like the cockpit glass though. This part looks very toyish and seems like it will prevent you from having a clear look inside. I won't be adding the glass. Although the actual 32" has the vents closed also, it would interesting to see if we could open up those vents. I wonder if it could be done with how the metal framework is looking? I guess we will see as it progresses. I also hope when we close up the final product to be displayed that we don't see any seem lines or gaps from the interior access.
Czg9zyt.jpg

Another compare of the original kit parts and the molded in ones.
As you can see most are ok (the Tyrrell P-34 engine piece is very close), but the Airfix Belfast piece is way off and molded flat.
11166030_10153319969393530_554774907_n.jpg

Heres some images:

J

Thanks, Jaitea! You saved me. The line to the Episode VII exhibit was so long we were told we'd never get into the room, so I never even saw the models. Good to know they were just concepts. I can tell myself i didn't miss too much.

I did study the DeAgostini prototype up close. Yes, the paint job is wretched, but it is just a prototype that most people are repainting anyway.The castings are good to my eye. Hopefully the new tooling will fix things like the lack of any overhang on the plating where the saucer connects to the mandibles.

As for the solid grills on the back deck, I pulled one off (it was already loose!) and there's solid plastic directly underneath, but it could be cut out. I was unable to see if the metal support structure would then show through, but it's possible.

The plastic windows, including the ones in the gun bay, definitely have to go.

The model is huge and impressive in person. I don't know where the heck I'm going to put it, but I think I need it.

I needed more than one day at Celebration, and Saturday was the wrong day to go!

Thanks, Jaitea! You saved me. The line to the Episode VII exhibit was so long we were told we'd never get into the room, so I never even saw the models. Good to know they were just concepts. I can tell myself i didn't miss too much.

I did study the DeAgostini prototype up close. Yes, the paint job is wretched, but it is just a prototype that most people are repainting anyway.The castings are good to my eye. Hopefully the new tooling will fix things like the lack of any overhang on the plating where the saucer connects to the mandibles.

As for the solid grills on the back deck, I pulled one off (it was already loose!) and there's solid plastic directly underneath, but it could be cut out. I was unable to see if the metal support structure would then show through, but it's possible.

The model is huge and impressive in person. I don't know where the heck I'm going to put it, but I think I need it.

I needed more than one day at Celebration, and Saturday was the wrong day to go!

Its kinda funny to me that the paint job on the prototype is so bad...normally a prototype has an amazing job and the production run versions look like hell...this is backwards...their paint job is actually worse than the no paint/hardly painted versions we are actually getting :)

I was telling a friend, who is a major star wars fan, about this falcon...he ran to the net and looked it up and saw the painted versions and was like...."hmm, this doesn't look very good"... and he passed on it..... Too bad..I know this will be pretty cool when we finish them..

It looked to me like it was some half assed, mid paint job someone did while drunk. It looks really odd and I would think they would have had a more impressive display. A bad half painted whatever sitting on a plastic box.

Having said that I have 1-8 and could not be happier. This thing is going to be awesome.

Could you tell if there was a gunner station in the turret?

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back