Deagostini Falcon. Anyone seen this?

just a word of warning when you go to subscribe, if you include the digital versions of the magazine as well it costs more a month.

adding almost £100 to the price of the model.

i of course did not notice this (i'm good at that) and had to phone them to cancel the digital versions.

Last edited:
Any word on Import Duties for Canadian customers yet?

When I called, they said that since there was no GST when I signed up, I would be charged GST for each magazine and a 9.95 handling fee.

PLUS they MAY charge duty, but I can submit to have it refunded after.

So I'm going to try and avoid this by shipping to an address in the States and just picking it up myself.

NOW, if only I could get them to let me pay Canadian, ship US.

When I called, they said that since there was no GST when I signed up, I would be charged GST for each magazine and a 9.95 handling fee.

PLUS they MAY charge duty, but I can submit to have it refunded after.

So I'm going to try and avoid this by shipping to an address in the States and just picking it up myself.

NOW, if only I could get them to let me pay Canadian, ship US.

Ugh, that's annoying because I if they declare the full value of each shipment the minimum preparation fee is $19, not including duties. Ugh, I hate UPS.... Maybe I'll sign up,see how the first shipment goes and cancel if I get dinged another $25 for customs.

Mornin' folks - Well it is for me anyway :) -- I have a question regarding the scale of this ship - I know the obvious answer is 1:1 -- But I have seen SS TIE's and X-Wings stated as 1/24 - So what would the scale of the 32" MF be in this measure? - TIA - Dave.
Here you go Supercruise this is from the build guide IMG_2758.jpg

Just received my first set of the DeAgostini Falcon, Man, I feel like kid during Christmas :lol And mine came with the blueprint to
Deagostini MF.jpeg

I got stuck into issues 7 and 8 this evening which involved the first bit of painting a weathering ,I must say up until this point it's been very easy but as I'm not very experienced with this kind of thing it's certainly getting a lot more intricate and challenging,I'm quite artistic so the painting side comes fairly easy but glueing all the little bits is testing my patience a bit lol.
all in all I'm loving the process though,it's a bit of a learning curve but that's half the fun :)
hopefully tomorrow night I can tackle 9 & 10

edit- out of interest,does anyone have any issues past 10? If so what number are you up to? Cheers

Last edited:
Welp, too late now... just called and am sending it to Blaine Washington... will pick up and bring it back myself.

You could always have it shipped to MYUS.com or some such third party shipper and then have them ship it to you. Might save you some time and gas money.

But then again, if there are no duties why bother at all?

I received "pack #1" with the first 4 issues. Delivery was MUCH FASTER than I expected. I ordered it on 3/17/2015 and only got charged one time (looks like they resolved the glitch). Only 7 days later and I'm holding issues 1-4, the series guide, a blueprint and parts. I said I was going to store everything and postpone any building till I at least had ALL the parts, or potentially sell the whole kit 'unbuilt' at some future date. After looking at it, I'm DYING to open the blister packs... And you guys probably know almost everything there is to know about it, but I DON'T, so I'm finding the magazine reads are quite interesting! Now, I'm considering ordering a second subscription...

I got stuck into issues 7 and 8 this evening which involved the first bit of painting a weathering ,I must say up until this point it's been very easy but as I'm not very experienced with this kind of thing it's certainly getting a lot more intricate and challenging,I'm quite artistic so the painting side comes fairly easy but glueing all the little bits is testing my patience a bit lol.
all in all I'm loving the process though,it's a bit of a learning curve but that's half the fun :)
hopefully tomorrow night I can tackle 9 & 10

edit- out of interest,does anyone have any issues past 10? If so what number are you up to? Cheers

You got issues 9 & 10?? You gotta post pics of those packs. Furthest I've seen is up to 6! Gotta see what else is coming bro! Share please! :)

You could always have it shipped to MYUS.com or some such third party shipper and then have them ship it to you. Might save you some time and gas money.

But then again, if there are no duties why bother at all?

I visit pretty regularly, so no big deal. Usually I just deliver to my buddy in Seattle, but somehow I can see the boxes really stack up, and didn't want to put him through that.

There's a guy on the border who takes packages and charges 3 dollars a pick up. So I went that route.

... So what would the scale of the 32" MF be in this measure? - TIA - Dave.
The big Falcon model for ANH was build to be at the same scale as the x-wings, y-wings and ties. It is supposed to be 1:24 scale. The full scale Falcon in ANH was build at about 80% scale due to costs and limited space on the stage. In many publications the actual size of the ANH full scale model is regarded as the "true size" of the Falcon. Many people do not share this view. For ESB a smaller model was needed for easier handling while filming the dynamic scenes. It was decided to make it half the size of the big Falcon model. So the target scale for the ILM guys for the 32" Falcon was 1:48. Where ever available, the kit bashed parts have been taken from kits of half the scale (e.g. 1:144 kit instead of the 1:72 kit). As we all know, the 32" falcon is not exactly half the size of the big Falcon, but it is pretty close to it. However the cockpit seats look to be to big for this scale making the cockpit look to crammed. As there is no real Falcon it is up to everyone to chose what is the "master reference". For me it is the big falcon being at 1:24 scale making the 32" Falcon at 1:48. As far as I know this scale is the base how the models have been filmed in all space scenes.

The big Falcon model for ANH was build to be at the same scale as the x-wings, y-wings and ties. It is supposed to be 1:24 scale. The full scale Falcon in ANH was build at about 80% scale due to costs and limited space on the stage. In many publications the actual size of the ANH full scale model is regarded as the "true size" of the Falcon. Many people do not share this view. For ESB a smaller model was needed for easier handling while filming the dynamic scenes. It was decided to make it half the size of the big Falcon model. So the target scale for the ILM guys for the 32" Falcon was 1:48. Where ever available, the kit bashed parts have been taken from kits of half the scale (e.g. 1:144 kit instead of the 1:72 kit). As we all know, the 32" falcon is not exactly half the size of the big Falcon, but it is pretty close to it. However the cockpit seats look to be to big for this scale making the cockpit look to crammed. As there is no real Falcon it is up to everyone to chose what is the "master reference". For me it is the big falcon being at 1:24 scale making the 32" Falcon at 1:48. As far as I know this scale is the base how the models have been filmed in all space scenes.

Thank you for that sir - I knew I was missing something - I couldn't understand ILM's choice of 1/43 compared to all the other miniatures used and their use of donor kit parts - I had heard long ago of the under size set being used as a datum but forgotten - Well I am 52 later this year so that's my excuse lol.

Have a great day.

Regards.

Dave.

Yeah the true size of the Falcon has always been in debate, but since Robert Brown's extensive work and years of research into trying to justify the internal sets with the outside ship hull they finally came up with a length of 114' feet for the actual size of the Falcon. Which means that the full size set being 82' feet meant it was actually just under 3/4s (1:1.4 scale) the actual size. So, with that being said, with the 32" Falcon you're looking at a scale which is actually more along the lines of 1:42.75 scale (or close to 1:43), not 1:48 which is what they were shooting for but missed it by a few inches. The original Falcon was 5' feet making it actually 1:22.8 scale (close to 1:23). I don't think many realize just how important Robert's work was. Because everything was conjecture and there never really was a full size falcon that was ever made, was the reason why the Falcon kits never had an actual scale on them. Now that a set of dimensions has been established for how big the full size 1:1 Falcon would be, makes it much easier to work out scale and determine sizes of the parts when scaling down or up in size. So to sum up... the 5'Footer was 1:23 scale, the 32" incher was 1:43 scale and the full size set was 1:1.4 scale. There's actually a man named Chris Lee that's attempting to build the full scale Falcon to the 114' dimensions for the past few years. His site is at www.fullscalefalcon.com... He's crazy! Crazy genius!

Last edited:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back