Deagostini Falcon. Anyone seen this?

No Perfect!!!!! talk about raising the bar...

I taught Special Ed for 12 years and they insist on setting the bar low. The problem is even if the kids reach the bar, it's set so low it does not matter.

Set the bar high!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Even if they don't reach it they are a lot higher than they are with a low bar.

Set it here_____________________________________________

Even if they only reach here_______________________________

It's a lot better than way down here__________________________________

Just a philosophical tip from yours truly.

Tom

attachment.php

attachment.php

I love the work on the chairs ...well done sir .. top job

Hello! I'm new to these forums, but I have been building plastic and multimedia kits for years, in addition to being a railway modeller. As a big fan of Harrison Ford's greatest characters - Indiana Jones, Han Solo and Rick Deckard - I had to subscribe to this at my local newsagent as soon as I saw it!

I thought I might take some time to post here my personal impressions on the series so far, as I see plenty of questions from members outside the UK.

Pros
- Most importantly to me, it is a kit! Fun to build and detail, without the dread of taking an x-acto to an MR Falcon!
- From photos I have seen online, overall dimensions of parts look almost identical to MR Falcon
- Moldings so far have been really good quality, free of any flash or ejector pin marks
- Fit between parts so far has been perfect
- Base colour of hull parts has been uniform. The apparent variance in colour reported by some is caused by variance in the strength of weathering wash applied at the factory
- Comparing with photos of the original filming miniature, the parts have the correct "greeblies" in the correct areas. Will also come with extra "greeblies" that were originally on the filming model but had fallen off by the time MR scanned the model and as a result, omitted from their Falcon
- Metal frame looks like it will be strong once completed, especially if Loctite is used on screws
- Interior included (For some who just want a replica of the filming model, this isn't a pro, though it is for me!)
- Landing gear included
- Boarding ramp included
- Based on Steve Dymzso's personal model, he is also acting as a consultant for the series
- Much cheaper than buying the MR Falcon second hand!
- Final weight as estimated by the publisher is less than the MR Falcon
- Cost is spread out across the duration of the series

Cons

- Orientation of the dorsal gun window was wrong from the factory. Easily fixed by running a knife round the frame to remove it then re-gluing in the correct orientation
- Because hull parts are injection molded plastic, some of the fine details appear slightly "heavy" when compared to the original, although they are nice and crisp. There are a couple of areas where I will probably carve the molded detail off and add separate parts, but that is only in 2 or 3 places
- Some compromises have been made so that the pieces can be molded and mass produced. For example lack of notching on the bottom of armour plating on airlock corridor. This can be corrected with some model making skill
- Weathering wash as applied at factory inconsistent between parts. I have seen some heavily overdone and some with barely any wash at all
- Magazine, in my opinion, is disappointing. I would have liked to see more "Behind the scenes" stuff about the ILM modelmaking dept, and the sets.
- Will take two years to complete, I can't yet see an option available to buy the complete series for those that have the funds and would prefer to do it that way

Regarding the paint colour, I have looked at the parts in natural light and under bright electric light and the colour looks like a grimy cream to me, or a very light beige. I do not see any green in it.

I will be building mine as a model of the Falcon as I imagine it would look like if it actually existed, with the exterior matching the 32" model and the interior based on the sets.

Hope this helps answer some of your questions!

Last edited:
I taught Special Ed for 12 years and they insist on setting the bar low. The problem is even if the kids reach the bar, it's set so low it does not matter.

Set the bar high!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Even if they don't reach it they are a lot higher than they are with a low bar.

Set it here_____________________________________________

Even if they only reach here_______________________________

It's a lot better than way down here__________________________________

Just a philosophical tip from yours truly.

Tom

tom, I think that has definitely made my day......

Thank you

A few little bits around the the mount for the quad laser I noticed are not present on the De'Ag version, Red bits can be sorted with some plasticard and blue bit needs trimming slightly

Turret Greeblies.jpg

I just got the first 3 issues.....and the detail is amazing....Oh yeah its larger than I expected for the parts....this thing is going to be BIG !!!....Woohoo !!! LOL

A few little bits around the the mount for the quad laser I noticed are not present on the De'Ag version, Red bits can be sorted with some plasticard and blue bit needs trimming slightly

View attachment 436048

Envisagedimage, I would think that the lack of the red details are a compromise to allow the parts to be injection molded. Similarly that is probably why the blue part has been extended, rather than it being an error by the maker. You cant have any undercuts on parts as it would not allow them to be released from the mould.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention!

Hi
Not that I would sell it but what do u think the value of this will be once magazine issues all done and finished?
Still trying to justify it to my wife:'(

Hi
Not that I would sell it but what do u think the value of this will be once magazine issues all done and finished?
Still trying to justify it to my wife:'(

At least the price for the parts, I´d say. Nobody knows how many are going to end up finished or how well it will be received as an after market collectable. The collectible market is a tricky beast ;)

I can't wait to build it.frightened that I'm going to mess up paint and weathering.as I've never done it before. Been wanting to build something for years but never got to try anything.

Skilian, I found that the best way to learn how to paint well is to get yourself some cheap, damaged secondhand models from a model show, eBay or similar and practice, practice, practice! You can repaint the models over and over and try out new techniques. I would highly recommend an airbrush, although a really good airbrush and compressor can be quite expensive.

Regarding weathering, I make sure I have plenty of photos as reference of what happens in the real world before I start weathering. In this case, there is no correlation between the 32" Falcon and how weathering works in the real world, so my reference will be photos of the filming miniature. In a video from the publisher linked earlier in this thread, Steve Dymszo explained that he will be writing an article for the magazine describing the different techniques used for weathering the studio miniature later in the series.

The weathering on the studio model does look quite strange to me. I wonder what the story behind the yellow splatter effect is? Mynock splatter picked up when inside the asteroid space slug?!!!

Permission? I had to ask for a raise in my allowance!

Thats some funny ****** right there.

Lear60man's guide to get almost anything you want.

Say you want the Agostini Falcon. Start searching for MR Falcons on Ebay etc when the wife is in the room. Let her heart skip a few beats when she sees the zeros. Make it the topic of every conversation, tell her how she wont miss cable TV or new tires on the family car. The household can do without for a few months while you save up for your MR Falcon! Get excited, really Excited! Like a 9 year old kid on Christmas morning! Then let her stew for a few days.

When she starts avoiding the whole mess, now is the time to strike. Pull out the Agostini alternative, 'its only a couple bucks a month' you say. 'I think Ill just get this instead and skip Starbucks'. You will be her hero. Problem solved.

This method has worked my entire life.

My wife says... We will do what ever we have to do so you can get the Falcon. If it means paying a bill late so be it!
I am like :D

Okay, don't pay any bills late. Having said that,...holy crap she is a keeper. Make that girl happy. That's worth more than even a Falcon. She is a keeper for sure.

- - - Updated - - -

Hearing all this battling over budgets just reminds me how nice it is to be a bachelor and not have to worry about asking permission to spend money anymore!

That's just cruel.

- - - Updated - - -

Thats some funny ****** right there.

Lear60man's guide to get almost anything you want.

Say you want the Agostini Falcon. Start searching for MR Falcons on Ebay etc when the wife is in the room. Let her heart skip a few beats when she sees the zeros. Make it the topic of every conversation, tell her how she wont miss cable TV or new tires on the family car. The household can do without for a few months while you save up for your MR Falcon! Get excited, really Excited! Like a 9 year old kid on Christmas morning! Then let her stew for a few days.

When she starts avoiding the whole mess, now is the time to strike. Pull out the Agostini alternative, 'its only a couple bucks a month' you say. 'I think Ill just get this instead and skip Starbucks'. You will be her hero. Problem solved.

This method has worked my entire life.

Brilliant !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(y)cheers

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back