Darkside501st's Iron Man Mk VII pepakura files - Password in First Post

Re: Darkside501st's Iron Man Mk VII pepakura files

i havent seen any proof of this yet, and i will not believe it until its confirmed

on topic:

i started my first foam part today, and i have several problems
first, i cant get any straight edges. i used new blades, scissors, but it allways was an uneven cut. that makes glueing horrible,

i started out with the biceps, and i dont know about the scale. i slightly increased the basic scale, to fit it, and it does fit (alltho tightly) but ther still seems to be a problem. i cant make it smaller, as i would not get my hand through, but at the scale its at its too long. especially the top part, the biceps cover is too long, while the rest seems to be too short. the back part (triceps) is too short, and therefor the connection to the ellbow would start way too high up.

heres a pic:

Good notes on the files... info like this will help me make the version 2 files even better. As for the top, inside of the biceps... I modeled it high so that when you build the pep model you can make a mold and cast the part. It is intended to be trimmed down on one side or the other depending on whether or not it is a right or left biceps. As for the other tips, I will keep them in mind as I continue to model the version 2 Mark VII. Thanks.

They're joking right?
The real armor will be unveiled closer to IM3? Right?
Please . . . let this be an "inside studio joke" . . . .

C

One can only hope but I doubt they will change it after a public release like that... maybe it's appearance will be cut short, like the Mark V, and then they will bring out the Mark IX for the rest of the movie. :lol

I know, right? It looks like Iron Man pajamas! I hope it is only in one very short scene!!! Way too much gold! :facepalmIn my opinion and I have only been following Iron Man since Iron Man one way back in the days! I have seen some odd armor, but pajamas? yuck.:sick

Sup Darkside, sorry to bother but, may i know roughly when will version 2 pep files be ready? Cant wait to start building. Hmm, anyway, ur original scale for parts like chest, back, etc. they're scale 23, but will it fit a guy like me, that's 176cm(5.77feet) in height? Coz in previous posts, i saw someone asking abt his height which was 180cm, and thr's a reply saying scale 24 or 25 would fit, so i was wondering wat scale would fit me, because i made the chest and shins alr, it seemed a little small.. Im a little buff btw, and hope u'll giv me some gd advises :) Thanks! :)

Last edited:

Sup Darkside, sorry to bother but, may i know roughly when will version 2 pep files be ready? Cant wait to start building. Hmm, anyway, ur original scale for parts like chest, back, etc. they're scale 23, but will it fit a guy like me, that's 176cm(5.77feet) in height? Coz in previous posts, i saw someone asking abt his height which was 180cm, and thr's a reply saying scale 24 or 25 would fit, so i was wondering wat scale would fit me, because i made the chest and shins alr, it seemed a little small.. Im a little buff btw, and hope u'll giv me some gd advises :) Thanks! :)

It has been said before and here it is again :rolleyes:

Everyone has a slightly different body. Even if you are the same height and weight as another member your body shape is different. You may have longer arms, shorter legs, and a larger chest then the other guy. The scale is a guideline. It is impossible to make one file to fit everyone and equally impossible for a complete suit scaled at 23 to fit everyone that is 5'5" the same as well as a suit scaled to 24 to fit everyone that is 5'7" the same. You have to determine what your default scale it... that will give you a starting point.

So you go by the other guy who has a similar height and weight, this is a good little jump start. He is using a scale of 24 as his default scale. So you take a core file (like the midsection/abs and/or the chest), and scale it to 24 then use the estimate of the final assembled size and the measurement tool too see if that default scale works for that body part or if it needs to be scaled up a little or down a little. You might have to scale the chest to 24.35 and the midsection/abs to 23.55. It is different for everyone. You should try not to deviate too much from the default scale if you can help it cause if you do then you will end up with a suit that looks mis-proportioned.

Good Luck on finding your scale... this can be one of the more challenging parts of pepakura. It gets discouraging to build a whole part only to find out that it is too small/big. Use the measurement tool... it is your best friend.

Wow, thanks, but tbh, im still quite new to pepakura, and im not very sure how to measure it properly to fit my body, like the helmet i made twice, first was too big, second was tight fitting... But, i'll trial and error. Thanks again! :)

well i continued my build, and have some more criticism

the elbow is good, but it doesnt fit well with the forearm:

the 2 pieces of the forearm (espeially the lower one) are too short in relation to their width. If i scale it to the right length, it is way too wide, if i scale it to the width its too short.

in the pic you can see all the problems.
i allready cut out a 2 cm wide piece from both forearm pieces to make it less wide, yet still its very wide.

attachment.php

Yes, some of your observations point out the differences in my model vs the more accurate reference pictures that came out after the model was made. Keep in mind when I first did these files there were only some pretty low res pics of a statue that is not all that accurate anyways. The forearm is not supposed to come down to your wrist bone though. The wrist armor is the ribbed section that goes between the forearm and the hand. The handplate is supposed to fit in the cutout of the forearm, however, my version 1 file wasn't designed to have the handplate fit inside that cutout. I am not sure why your upper forearm turned out so big... mine doesn't fit that way. You probably need to use a smaller scale and slide the lower forearm up a little higher on the upper forearm. Your forearm does look a little large compared to the biceps. Thanks again for the feedback.

the 2 pieces of the forearm (espeially the lower one) are too short in relation to their width. If i scale it to the right length, it is way too wide, if i scale it to the width its too short.

i allready cut out a 2 cm wide piece from both forearm pieces to make it less wide, yet still its very wide.

attachment.php

On the part u said looks too wide, to me if u cut 1/2 an inch off each side it will bring forearm in n make it less wide. Like darkside mentioned it goes higher not exactly on wrist and for the upper forearm(still on your arm) pinch the excess foam till it fits u comfortable n thats what you snip off and reattach. Remember its foam its not written in stone u can snip here snip there as needed till it fits your body. hope it helps...peace

attachment.php

Hey, you're doing a great job! Just a question: How did you fixed the length problem in the bicep? thanks

Yes, some of your observations point out the differences in my model vs the more accurate reference pictures that came out after the model was made. Keep in mind when I first did these files there were only some pretty low res pics of a statue that is not all that accurate anyways. The forearm is not supposed to come down to your wrist bone though. The wrist armor is the ribbed section that goes between the forearm and the hand. The handplate is supposed to fit in the cutout of the forearm, however, my version 1 file wasn't designed to have the handplate fit inside that cutout. I am not sure why your upper forearm turned out so big... mine doesn't fit that way. You probably need to use a smaller scale and slide the lower forearm up a little higher on the upper forearm. Your forearm does look a little large compared to the biceps. Thanks again for the feedback.
yes i am aware of the little inaccuracies :) im just trying to give some pointers for the v2 if you ever decide to make one :) its supposed to come down to the wrist on the side tho not on top (if that makes sense), have to see, how it works with the handplate.
i cant make the forearm smaller, as otherwise, i cant fit my hand through the front. it fits tight arought the wrists, but is wide at the upper end. might modify the upper brace more.
On the part u said looks too wide, to me if u cut 1/2 an inch off each side it will bring forearm in n make it less wide. Like darkside mentioned it goes higher not exactly on wrist and for the upper forearm(still on your arm) pinch the excess foam till it fits u comfortable n thats what you snip off and reattach. Remember its foam its not written in stone u can snip here snip there as needed till it fits your body. hope it helps...peace
just wanted to point out some flaws of the design ;)

Hey, you're doing a great job! Just a question: How did you fixed the length problem in the bicep? thanks
the ellbow goes up way at the biceps. the larger portion of the ellbow is towards the biceps, with the joints its approximately the right length ;)

I just don't like the color scheme... the armor itself is nice but it will be a pain in the arse to make cause of all the small intricate details. In that thread I linked to there have been some people playing around with the color scheme using Photoshop. There is one color scheme that King Rancher (I think that is his name) posted that I really like and seeing the armor with that color scheme gives me the feeling deep inside.... oh I want that! So I may end up peping the Mark VIII after all and just doing a different paint scheme. ;)

The only part of the armor I and not that fond of is the helmet... mostly the new ears.

I have already downloaded many hi-res photos from the Comic-Con event so I could model it with out to much trouble. But I have to finish up some other projects first.

I just don't like the color scheme... the armor itself is nice but it will be a pain in the arse to make cause of all the small intricate details. In that thread I linked to there have been some people playing around with the color scheme using Photoshop. There is one color scheme that King Rancher (I think that is his name) posted that I really like and seeing the armor with that color scheme gives me the feeling deep inside.... oh I want that! So I may end up peping the Mark VIII after all and just doing a different paint scheme. ;)

The only part of the armor I and not that fond of is the helmet... mostly the new ears.

I have already downloaded many hi-res photos from the Comic-Con event so I could model it with out to much trouble. But I have to finish up some other projects first.
yeah i dont really like the ears either or the shins and the cod peice for that matter, they seemed to be a little bit flat and bland compared to the rest of the armor!! I've allways wanted to model my own armor but i have no clue how to use a modeling software! (unless im modeling a basic house) Learning one of the softwares might be important if i want to be a costume and set desighner/special fx guy for a living!

OMG, you guys... I got introduced to a SWEEEETT modelling program, that is SOO simple to use.

So, i strated trying to make the HulkBuster Suit... only got a little bit into the boot for right now.
I'm just having so much fun designing this thing.

clip2t.png

:love :D :love :D :love :D :love :D :love :D :love :D :love :D :love :D

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back