Damaged VM02 Vader helmet......RESTORATION *WIP* Nearly finished pics on page 5...

Re: Damaged VM02 Vader helmet......HELP!............HELP!.......

Can someone here post or pm me some pics of a very accurate ANH paint job please? I would love to get this looking as good as I can. I have got this far and don't want to ruin it now. Is it best to paint the whole face Black then brush on the Gun Metal? I would also love it if someone could tell me the most accurate colours too......
I know the gun metal is brushed on but I'm not sure what size brush to use and what orientation I should be brushing? :thumbsup
Thanks guys

Re: Damaged VM02 Vader helmet......HELP!............HELP!.......

That is a beautiful lid, even as just the gelcoat. Well done so far!

This is going to turn out great!

Re: Damaged VM02 Vader helmet......RESTORATION *WIP*

Right,
I'm all primered up and ready to go......

I'm thinking I might go with a satin dome? What do you think?
I'm also wondering if it might be better to spray the face in satin too and then gloss clear coat over that as satin is easier to get a good finish than gloss? I'm going to hand paint the gun metal.
Also I'm in a dialema as to paint the black strip on the right side of the face as you are wearing it as some seem to put this on and some don't.

Ok, I've just found out the Dome is glossy and there is no black stripe on the wearer left cheek. ;)

does anyone know what is the best gun metal?
I have a can of Rover Gun metal which I have been told is close but is a spray, and a pot of Tamia dark gun metal. And I plan on visible brush strokes. ;)

Hey Dude, I know Simon from us being members of the UK Garrison and he told me a while back that the grey is polaris grey metallic. I got some from Halfords and repainted a rubies vader lid with it and it looks nice. There may be a more accurate colour out there, I'm sure Vader experts know more, but I was under the impression that the Polaris colour is the one that your helmet was painted with originally.

I'm not sure about giving advise to brush paint it...the best paint I've found for brushing are the games workshop paints, they have boltgun metal that might be close. I can't say for sure if it will look good brushed on over a large area though. The Tamiya is great paint, but is terrible to brush on, unless it's thinned a lot !...needs airbrushing to get the best finish.

Hope that helps, good luck with the restoration, You're a brave man !

Cheers

Phil

Last edited:

does anyone know what is the best gun metal?
I have a can of Rover Gun metal which I have been told is close but is a spray, and a pot of Tamia dark gun metal. And I plan on visible brush strokes. ;)

I agree unfinished, that dome is beautiful. Fun to see this restoration thread. :thumbsup

Tutorial on removing/decanting spraypaint into a cup. Another tutorial recommends a longer bendable straw, which sounds like a better plan to me. I was wondering if an unused wd-40 red straw would do a better job, but the paint might be too thick. Be careful to hold the red straw as sometimes wd-40 straws launch under pressure

Nice job so far! I salute your bravery, sir. :D

Im so pleased that you had this off me Mark, im over the moon at the work you have put into this and i cant wait to see the Helmet back to its former glory.

I have to say i had no idea (and i promise you this) that the damage was so bad,

When it came back to me i was heart broken at its condition i just boxed it away hoping to one day either restore it myself or sell it, i went in the end for the latter (sadly).

When i first built this Mark(ojika) guided me throught the fibreglass/gelcoat procedure and i did take my time to get it to an imaculate condition, before it was even sprayed in its final colours it was like a piece of glass i was very maticlous in making sure once it was finally done it would look impresive.

Once id got it built and primed, Mark obviously took over and did the paint job the best he could, his work shop was a pretty shoddy place and his tools were not the best, although sprayed well i believe the paint he used was not of a high spec a cheaper alternative was used.

The cracking in the dome i assumed was the sub standard paint peeling off the Fibreglass, i had no idea the gelcoat was bad too.

Im wondering if the cheap paint job and the re-casting of this helmet has had a worse adverse effect than first thought.

My hat is off to your craftsmanship, youve done a fabulous job so far, you have a wonderful piece of prop history in your hands and im more than happy in the knowledge that the VM02 is in the right hands.

Well, I could assume that the reason it was sent to repairs was the cause of the cracking of the gelcoat. Didn't it drop to the floor? Basically, the paint hid the actual extent of the damage, but the recasting may have made it crack through the paint as well. Without the paint cracks it is possibly unlikely that the underlying gelcoat damage would have been spotted.

If you are gonna go with a clearcoat in the end, then I would advice using flat black over satin. But would still think gloss black would be best and would need no clear coat in the end.

Well, I could assume that the reason it was sent to repairs was the cause of the cracking of the gelcoat. Didn't it drop to the floor?.

Thats correct but at the time i thought how lucky i was because the only visable damage was the Broken tusk, and the mounting plate, i had no idea there were hidden damages as nothing showed on the inside of the dome, it was only when it came back to me that i noticed the blistering and cracking of the paint Im certain that the recasting had a major part to play in this.
ive actually seen a recast off this very helmet and it looked awful so god only knows what my............ sorry this VM went through.

I trusted who i thought was a very good friend at the time, how wrong i was.

Thanks Simon,
I hope I can do this justice.
It's all down to the paint job now and the hope that the cracks don't reappear.
Fingers crossed....:)

Great work so far on this ,shall look forward to seeing your progress.

I am in contact with ojika and I will give him a shout and find out what colour and type of paint he used on these. From memory I think it was 2 pack automotive paint he used as he used to car spraying as well but that is not something that is available to the general public as its pretty toxic when sparayed as it contains iso- cyanides!!.You should be able to get the colours in rattle cans though as they are acrylic paint and you could laquer it after if you want a glossy finish.
I did a bit of car spraying in my past and 2 pack is pretty strong stuff and i cant see that taking a mold from it would do this to it as silicone doesn't stick to anything but silicone. the only way this would be caused would be by twisting or impacting the helmet ,as fibreglass is a polyester based product it is not as flexible as polyurethane and will crack as will gelcoat if stressed hard enough.

Great work so far on this ,shall look forward to seeing your progress.

I am in contact with ojika and I will give him a shout and find out what colour and type of paint he used on these. .

Not sure that would be helpful here as he he originally sprayed it the wrong colours in the first place, Mark the new owner wants the correct colour scheme which im sure the vader experts here can help him with.

im sure if my memory is correct Ojika went into a car spraying job after he lost his prop making buisness (well thats what he told me) buy his own admission his spraying booth wasnt up to much good, he had to do the best he could with the tools he had at the time.

I know the state i sent this helmet out in to be repaired and what came back was not the same helmet, like i said above god only knows the stresses and abuse the helmet went through whilst in the care of a recaster.

These damn cracks keep coming back!!!!:angry:cry

I think I'm going to have to reinforce the inside with another layer of fiberglas and I'm thinking I may have to brush some resin/Gel coat over the cracks and sand it down smooth again? Anyone have a better idea? :confused

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back