Damaged VM02 Vader helmet......RESTORATION *WIP* Nearly finished pics on page 5...

Re: Damaged VM02 Vader helmet......RESTORATION *WIP*

The early vmo2s had no fixings at all, so technically you could leave it like that, my old one just had velcro to attach the dome and face together

Thanks Chewcy,
I didn't know that. Interesting......:confused
What to do........ :confused hmmmm...........

I've got the original mounting system all cleaned up and ready to attach. :thumbsup

I have also found another gun metal colour called Mercury metallic Grey it's looks a little darker than the gun metal. It has a slight satin finish . I'll get some photo's up tomorrow......

posted this over on the RPB for you too

The system you have is the accurate one Mark

We didnt use the magnets as this was a display piece so to save on expense we fixed it permantly using self tapping screws into the Mounting bracket, something in hindsight we shouldnt have done but as i was under guidence i did what i was instructed.

The unique thing about the VM was its Fixing system it uses 3 magnets instead of what others did they used 2, i think this was used as another sign of telling if the VM had been recasted, i dont think other Vader helmets used the 3 Magnet system.

To get it Exactly spot on and something that should have been done originally, you will see 3 long Indents in the top of the fixing system Try and find some magnets to fit inside those indents or Get steve to get in touch with his new best buddy and see if Mark has any left.

If your going for the original VM look Use the magnets mate.

Using velcro and screws were cheap alternatives to get the piece out to customers

Hi Simon,

Do you have a contact for the magnets?
I would love to get this right.....
How do you fix the magnets to the face crown? I have the 3 indentations on the fixing block to put the magnets there. Or does it have 3 metal pieces on the face for the magnets to adhere to?

I got a few coats of Black Gloss on this morning.
I'm gonna have to let it cure now for a couple of weeks before I wet sand and clear coat the dome and hand paint the gun metal on the face with a brush.

VM02restorationBlackGloss038.jpg

VM02restorationBlackGloss039.jpg

VM02restorationBlackGloss040.jpg

VM02restorationBlackGloss041.jpg

VM02restorationBlackGloss042.jpg

VM02restorationBlackGloss043.jpg

Looks really good mate, great job.:thumbsup

I am looking forward to seeing the gun metal brushed on.

Joe

if my memory serves me correctly Mark used to just superglue the Magnets in place on the fixing block and im sure he did the same with the face, where he got these from i have no idea but maybe TF can find out for you from his new best pal.

Did you spray this up using Rattle cans mate, if you did youve done a really good job so far just be careful not to lay it on to thick.

i know it can be expensive but i would have been inclined to have gone to an auto spray shop, unledd you know someone in the know.

however you doing a cracking job

one and only Picture i have left of the VM in its prime

There should be a really good ones on the RPB some where, of when i did the Graham Campbel Dispaly at the Very First Prop Party i organised, for some reason all those pictures disappeared from there, it was set on a dispaly with VM shoulders and looked awsome

Also my supa Troop Web site had some amazing Pictures but someone got the web name when it ran out and ive never been able to get it back

helmetdisplay9ip.jpg

Personally, sometimes professional painters go overboard, wanting a perfect finish and a lot of prep and finishing work... and may lay on too thick a layer of paint to make things smooth and perfect. If you like that look, then cool, but if you want the original raw look, sometimes, less is more.

Ah, well, the finished picture I posted earlier is of his then and not the one in this thread. Sorry for the confusion.

As said on the rpb get some fineline tape and mask and spray the ford grey areas mate ,much better finish than handpainting and less precarious!! :lol
Not the same thing but here's a dredd lid i did using fineline and then laquered over the top of both colours afterwards , with a bit of wet and dry and some rubbing compound after you can get a nice finish with rattle cans , excuse the dust !!
side.jpg

Thanks TF. That Dredd lid looks great.
The thing is the originals were hand painted and if this is to look original I should do the same.
I've got a couple of weeks to think about it as that's how long I'll leave it in between coats. I made the mistake of not doing that with my Trooper lid and it all bubbled up. I had to strip it all and start again.

Great finish so far, this is going to turn out great. Bear in mind that the magnet system was devised after Grahams death by Ojika, like I said previously Graham just put them out with no fixing system at all.

Hi,

Well you had nuts of steel using that paint stripper but it has paid off no end. The finish is looking great so far and looking forward to seeing it finished.

:thumbsup

Chris

he he :lol

Yep, my nuts sure were heavy whilst stripping that I can tell ya! Luckily I had a mate in hand for any insecurities I had about the stripper as he used to build boats with fiberglass and carbon fiber and Nitro Mors was what he reccomended....:thumbsup

Thanks Chris,
I'm getting itchy feet just waiting to paint on the gun metal but I shall wait the reccomended time as I don't want to mess it up this far into the restoration....

So as you were watching the stripper work, you had heavy n*ts but luckily had a mate in hand? :confused:lol

Looking good mate, I look forward to seeing it finished with the handpainted gunmetal, lenses and tusks.

I'll get that grill in the post tomorrow or Friday - I know you are waiting on the paint drying so won't be in a mad rush for it.

Al

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back