Blade Runner 2049

re: Blade Runner Sequel

Well if they have to do a "reinvention" of it maybe they could just have it follow the book this time.

"I've seen sequels you people wouldn't believe,
Attacked scripts done by liars,
Who were never really trying.

I watched a classic once,
Glitter on the big screen,
Forever as a great.

Now all those moments will be lost,
Like tears for the pain,
Time to cry."

Sorry Rutger. I have faith. But not alot of it. There can be only one.

Ain't It Cool News: The best in movie, TV, DVD, and comic book news.

Beaks here...

We still don't know the first thing about Ridley Scott's return to the BLADE RUNNER universe, but we can at least take comfort in knowing that the filmmaker and his producers aren't targeting run-of-the-mill studio hacks to write it!

According to Twitch, CONTAGION screenwriter Scott Z. Burns is in talks to write the untitled BLADE RUNNER... expansion. If these talks lead to an actual deal, I think this is a great hire. I'm a huge fan of Burns's two collaborations with Steven Soderbergh, and would love to see him take a crack at some smart and serious sci-fi. Aside from bringing Hampton Fancher back, this is probably a best-case scenario.

I've heard that Ridley is approaching this project in much the same way he attacked PROMETHEUS, which leads me to wonder who or what is the Space Jockey of BLADE RUNNER? Surely, we're headed off-world. I just hope we aren't going to see attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion or C-beams glittering in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. These are Roy Batty's visions, things we wouldn't believe.

And yet I've a feeling this is precisely where this BLADE RUNNER spinoff is headed...

blade-runner.gif

blade_runner.gif

At least Ridley Scott got back into the sci-fi genre with Prometheus before attempting the more difficult realm of Blade Runner. I bet while making Prometheus all sorts of new ideas popped into his head.

Any chance to see a movie set in the same world as the first Blade Runner is a welcome opportunity. The movie couldn't be in better hands than Ridley Scott. I need to see more sci-fi noir, and the risk of it sucking is FAR outweighed by the chance that it may be spectacular.

Hopefully other studios decide to crank out another round of movies based on sci-fi novels to compete with it. More for me to go see.

At least Ridley Scott got back into the sci-fi genre with Prometheus before attempting the more difficult realm of Blade Runner. I bet while making Prometheus all sorts of new ideas popped into his head.

Any chance to see a movie set in the same world as the first Blade Runner is a welcome opportunity. The movie couldn't be in better hands than Ridley Scott. I need to see more sci-fi noir, and the risk of it sucking is FAR outweighed by the chance that it may be spectacular.

Hopefully other studios decide to crank out another round of movies based on sci-fi novels to compete with it. More for me to go see.

I remember having similar thoughts on May 18, 1999.

Ridley Scott Talks "Blade Runner" Sequel | News | Dark Horizons

Scott says the film he's directing is "liable to be a sequel" and he's been interviewing writers who can help him with the screenplay.

“I think I’m close to finding a writer that might be able to help me deliver. We’re quite a long way in, actually” says Scott.

Scott's upcoming "Prometheus" is a sort of prequel meets spinoff to 1979 "Alien" with a story featuring all new characters taking place in the same universe.

This 'Blade ' will also center on all new characters, and asked directly if Harrison Ford's Deckard would appear in the film Scott says "No, not really."

I personally want to explore more of the world in BR, and go back to the place I fell in love with more than anything. That would also mean that the film should focus on the setting and atmosphere as the stars. A good story would be great, but too much action based stuff would ruin it for me. It is like going to the grand canyon and being forced to run through it as fast as you can. Never being able to absorb the scenery and it's true impact.

I also would want Vangelis, or someone as skilled who can capture his effect to work on it. Also, the main unsung person that made BR what it is, was Jordan Cronenweth. Since he passed on, they would need one of his protege's or even his son perhaps. I am okay with CGI being a big part of it. most of the model work I thought was so great looks silly to me now. The trick with both seems to be that they don't try too hard to show off, and keep a lot of the stuff just a bit subtle, and keep the show off stuff toward the end. Build up that veil of reality, and don't expect the CGI to be able to do anything. Be honest when it does, and doesn't really work.

As far as the money men who "ruined" the first film and had no idea, what they were doing, I will correct that misnomer. Bud Yorkin was an accomplished film maker, director, writer, but mostly what he did was for television. He did have an idea of what works, and was economical about it. He just had been in the business too long and had set ideas, and knew how to follow the "rules" that had been figured out up to that point. Fortunately, Blade Runner and Ridley rewrote those rules for a whole new generation. If Bud had directed it, the story would have been more about characters and dialogue, than about the scenery, many would say that would have been a good thing. The film may have made more money originally even, but we would unlikely still be talking about it as much as we do now.

My other fear with this film, is that it will try to be too glamorous. The dirt and grime ...and "kipple" will be stylized and overdone like it was in minority report, and everyone else will be perfect looking, even with messed up hair perfectly messed up with wax. I am okay with the super Rich being glamorous, and the replicants being perfect physical specimens, but it also needs to be inhabited with very human looking people that are naturally imperfect. The dirt and grime needs to seem real, and not perfectly placed. It would add more impact to have that contrast too. Unfortunately we live in a reality today where jeans are torn and faded in a factory, and almost everyone on screen is a perfect specimen with every blemish covered, every bulge and hair blended or shaved off. I guess it is human nature though to prefer perfection. But the superficial, and artificialness of it all kind of bugs me. That is why I still love BR is that kind of realism, in an artificial world.

Andy

Surely there must be other PKD stories to fit within the BR film 'verse, without relying on the events and characters of BR.

But what of the technology portrayed? CRTs?
Nobody had a cell phone back then either.
A VidPhone on the wall would look actually rather ancient to young eyes.

If they do that 'verse, are they going to update it?

Surely 2019 is laughable that that world would exist by then.

Or do they stay strictly in that timeline and the hell with updating?

Personally I say to hell with updating. they update it the thing will turn into a michael bay movie with everything exploding and horrible fast past editing and camera work.

Surely there must be other PKD stories to fit within the BR film 'verse, without relying on the events and characters of BR.

Blade Runner the movie is so different from the PKD book. Since this new movie will have new characters, you could set almost any story in Blade Runner world, as long as it is a good story. What I am longing for is that neo-noir cyberpunk style. Its kinda like Maltese Falcon in dystopian 2019. Hope the sequel/prequel has that feel to it.

But what of the technology portrayed? CRTs?
Nobody had a cell phone back then either.
A VidPhone on the wall would look actually rather ancient to young eyes.

If they do that 'verse, are they going to update it?

Surely 2019 is laughable that that world would exist by then.

Or do they stay strictly in that timeline and the hell with updating?

This one is tough.

I spoke out in another thread that I do not care if computer monitors in Prometheus look more modern that the ones in Alien. My wish would be for Ridley to not hold back for the sake of this bit of continuity.

But now we are talking about Blade Runner.

hmmmm

As I said above, it has this old noir movie feel to it when he talks on the vid-phone. I dont know if you could preserve that feel if everyone had the iPhone12.

I would be worried if anyone but Ridley was making this movie, but since he created the look and feel of the original, I think he can do it again. I think he understands what makes the original so great, and will not want to divert from it. Why else would he want to make another Blade Runner movie if it isnt going to be in Blade Runner style? Certainly not because of the box office or widespread popularity of the original.

Prometheus looks like it will be excellent. He knows what he is doing. This isnt Lucas. Ripley's dad isnt helping Ash build the Nostromo.

I hope they get Vangelis. That would be another essential element.

Last edited:

This vid phone thing has still got me thinking.

I say keep the technology the same.

I trust Ridley will make a great movie either way.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back