Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

I don't really like people drawing the comparison between Ben Affleck and Michael Keaton. Michael Keaton is a brilliant actor, even if he was known mostly for comedy at the time. Ben Affleck, on the other hand, has proven time and time again that he can not act his way out of a paper bag. He is best suited in Kevin Smith movies.

WB Exec 1: Now, for the casting of Batman, should we stretch ourselves, take a creative risk, and choose a slightly older actor with the acting chops to pull off a Superman vs. Batman confrontation—an actor that isn't so well-known that it will be difficult for fans to associate him with this iconic role?

WB Exec 2: Hmmm...nah, let's just call Ben Affleck.

[sigh]

Last edited:
Like any actor who has portrayed Batman has been perfect?

Michael Keaton was good but if he stood next to anyone over 5'6" he looked like a dwarf, and his Bruce Wayne was not so good.
Val Kilmer was good but a bit mellow.
Clooney? Awful but so was everything in that disaster so who knows what he could have done in a better Batman production.
Bale was good and would have been great if not for that freaking constipated Batman voice.

Give Affleck a chance for gods sake. If he turns out to be terrible then we can string him up.

Last edited:
Honestly, I think Affleck can do the role just fine. He's not the same guy he was when he made Reindeer Games and whatnot. He's matured as an actor and as a human being, it seems, and I think that'll show in his performance.

Anson Mount, the guy who plays Cullen Bohannon on Hell on Wheels, had an interesting thing to say about his portrayal of that role. He basically said that he didn't think he could've played it when he was younger. Even if he'd looked the part, he'd lack the life experience necessary to give the role the weight it needs. I think Affleck has that experience now and can give the role weight.

Look at it this way. Was Bale's portrayal of Batman/Bruce Wayne all THAT amazing....or was he borne up by the script, direction, and how the production team really took the films seriously instead of making them campy? I think Bale was fine, but he wasn't AHMAZING. The FILMS were good, though, and Bale didn't screw that up (well, except for the voice on occasion). With Affleck, IF they've got a good writer and director, I can see it going just fine. On the other hand, with a lousy writer and/or director, it won't really matter who they cast, will it?

At first I was 'wtf?!' but after mulling it over I reckon he could pull it off.

He's not a bad actor at all, especially not nowadays and daredevil isn't as bad as people make out. It wasn't great, but did a good job with it. Plus it was quite a while ago now.

He's got the right look, right age.. I reckon he could do it.

Although if I were him I'd get on the phone and go hang out with Kevin Conroy as much as possible to try to get 'that' voice and mannerism down as lets face it.. best batman? Kevin Conroy of course ;)

Like any actor who has portrayed Batman has been perfect?

Clooney? Awful but so was everything in that disaster so who knows what he could have done in a better Batman production.
Bale was good and would have been great if not for that freaking constipated Batman voice.

Give Affleck a chance for gods sake. If he turns out to be terrible then we can string him up.

At least the cowl stopped Clooney's head from wobbling....He is a great actor, just in a bad film

& I agree....Bale's voice unintentionally made me snigger,

Affleck.....I don't mind as an actor, should be good

J

I'm now a bit excited for this movie. I still think's it's generally a bad idea - Superman vs. Batman while using the film to introduce a new Batman.

Affleck has a stigma attached to him - largely due to his relationship with Jennifer Lopez and some changes that may or may not have happened to him then. He made some questionable choices - Gigli, Riendeer Games, Surviving Christmas, etc. Say what you want about Daredevil - he did have a love for that character and it is considered underrated by some.

The man can act - he proved that early on his career with Chasing Amy (I am biased as it's one of my favorite films) and he has matured greatly. Look at his recent resume: Argo, The Town, etc.

This could turn into another Kilmer/Clooney thing, too. Kilmer had great chops (Doc Holliday?) but was in an overall 'meh' Batfilm.

I see this casting as a sign of hope after what I felt was a terrible take on Batman in the Nolan/Bale films. Batman/Bruce Wayne came across as empty and had little to no charisma in those films. I see the potential in Affleck as the perfect Bruce Wayne and I look forward to seeing what he's able to do with the mask on - I mean, if he can confess his love to a lesbian in the rain in a lengthy monologue with all the potty words Kevin Smith writes for him... well, he should be fine.

I think Affleck will be fine in the role. It doesn't matter who they chose though, we'd all still be having the same type of conversation. In going by the supposed shortlist, if it was Brolin, people would say he sucked as Jonah Hex while overlooking No Country for Old Men. If it was Gosling, people would say he's too much of a pretty boy, while ignoring Drive. Manganiello? "He can't act!"

However, some of the bashing is going a little overboard. Claiming you wanted someone a "little less gay" in the role? What kind of silly comment is that?

12 Ben Affleck Batman Memes That the Internet Deserves

marvel.jpg

I can understand the bashing here, but I actually think he can pull it off. Affleck wasn't my first choice, but the guy's acting gotten a lot better over the years and his last films have actually been good. And I'm not even the fan of the guy. WB is playing it way too safe here but is anyone surprised?

I have a feeling this will be like when they casted Evans for Cap or Ledger for Joker - lots of fan backlash but when they get on screen, they'll deliver.

My biggest problem with Affleck is in everything I've seen him in, it's Ben Affleck playing.....Ben Affleck. He's always the same. But that aside, I think it's very risky doing this crossover with an untried Batman. If it turns out he sucks as Batman, then they've just killed off two of thier biggest franchises in one move. It would be a lot smarter to establish him as Batman in his own film, while doing another solo Superman film, and then if he pulls it off, go ahead and do The crossover.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back