ASHPD - Portal Gun [image heavy, just the way you like it]

Correct me if i'm wrong, but to me it would seem that the top prong is slightly off-center.

Only with the player model version (the one you see while holding it). The world model has it centered. My best guess is that Valve put it off center on the player model so it doesn't get in the way of the player's line of sight.

TC - I just wanted to comment here as well on your marvelous build. Whenever I think I'm getting better at scratch-building something I find a build like this that absolutely floors me. You humble me, sir. And like many others I'm waiting on that JY thread as well. :D

Yeah, before reading the previous two comments, and remembering how much Volpin was asked about his Portal gun, I was thinking that you may have a loooong list of orders if you decide to sell that prop of yours. :D

Anyway, it's an awesome job, TC, keep up with it ! :)

EDIT : I only played the first Portal, but... is it only me, or did Valve add a lot of details on its gun model ( the potatoe aside ) ?

EDIT : I only played the first Portal, but... is it only me, or did Valve add a lot of details on its gun model ( the potatoe aside ) ?
The view model was refined quite a bit and also made dirtier.

P1 http://i.imgur.com/h0k4o.jpg
P2 http://i.imgur.com/AQ9On.jpg

The Co-op versions also have different color stripes on the shell.
The world model is still the same between the two games.

I hope I can finish my own gun soon as well. It's not gonna be nearly as good as this though :lol

For those asking for the blueprints. Here you go.

portalblues2.jpg

For my purposes (I just wanted the measurements) I threw it into Photoshop, increased the size by 300% and the dpi to 150. Then sharpened it to taste. This is not for print purposes (it would look ****ty if you tried to) but if you want the measurements this will suffice.

Also a note. I didn't ask for permission to post this, so if he doesn't want them public he has all the power to take them down. But this link is to his own site :)

This project is amazing! Thanks for all the build photos and explanations. I'm seriously wanting to build one of these.

Someone broke in and smashed it to bits while trying to get my TV off the wall. Project is dead, I don't have the heart to restart it right now.

Just kidding, it's right here.

A few friends and myself set up a sci-fi themed First Friday art show coming up in a couple of days, so I decided to use that as my deadline to have everything built and molded, and the first one cast and together. I ended up having to make a few one-ups to get by, so I will have to go back and redo things properly at a later date. Being so occupied with finishing this, updates have been non-existent, but now that things are about done I've got little time to share, so onto the photos...

Molding
70-moldingspouts.jpg

I added a funnel to act as my pour spout for casting, and the peg lets out air flow as resin comes into the mold.

71-foil.jpg

72-clay.jpg

73-mud.jpg

Bondo/fiberglass resin mixture.

74-fiberglass.jpg

Laying in the fiberglass.

75-mothermolds.jpg

I am more proud of these mother molds than I am of anything else I have ever done. My past experiences with fiberglass had been of nightmares, but it just worked this time, something clicked. I feel accomplished.

76-mothermoldgap.jpg

Cast
77-rawcast.jpg

The first raw cast of the front shell. I still haven't worked out the best processes completely yet, but for this cast I brushed on some resin, put the halves together and did a few layers of slush casting before filling the void with expanding foam. It is light and feels pretty strong.

78-chamberrearmerger.jpg

79-barrelmerger.jpg

I placed the seam lines for the barrel mold in such a place that even if you half-assed cleaning them up they would still be obstructed from view by the front shell.

80-bodymerger.jpg

81-bodycomplete.jpg

For the finish I put in a few layers of satin black before wet sanding, then a few layers of matte clear coat and another round of wet sanding. For future builds I am going to attempt to get a hold of some really dark grey paint, which I think will be a better match to the game than straight black.

82-shellcomplete.jpg

83-shellcomplete.jpg

Same process for the shells, just replace the black with white and gloss everything + wax.

84-dollartree.jpg

I hit up Dollar Tree to see if I could find some things for the detailing. The cooking rack and sunglasses will be used for the claws, the tube for the nail file will be used to glow the chamber, and the paint caps from the boat bank are for the lens on top of the Portal gun.

85-clawbraces.jpg

Maybe I can find a jeweler or someone to help make these better for future builds.

86-plugs.jpg

The cables have these plugs where they meet the claws. I made a few one-ups by putting nylon spacers on my drill bit and using it like a mini lathe.

87-toplight.jpg

I initially planed to use the paint caps alone to make the top light, but I didn't like the little indention in the middle. I had some pieces left over from laser cutting so I recycled one for the light and used the caps as a bezel.

88toplight.jpg

89-toplight.jpg

A transparency was used to make the pattern.

90-toplight.jpg

91-barrellight.jpg

High-grit sandpaper on the nail file holder to make it cloudy.

92-electronics.jpg

Barrel View
I didn't have time to do the inside of the barrel the way I really wanted to, this is sort of a quick and dirty representation of the direction I was going.
93-spiral.jpg

94-spiral.jpg

95-spiral.jpg

96-spirallit.jpg

97-spirallit.jpg

Look familiar?

Once I get my switch for the lights done I will take photos of the finished piece.

Last edited:
You gave me a scare for a second there! Have you thought of making a cast for the entire gun so that you could "easily" replicate it?

I nearly choked up my spleen when I read post #51! But swallowed it back down thankfully with the subsequent post. The aperture in the barrel is a stroke of genius. I rather like the oval cross section of the body of the device. This is based on the in game model right? Nice lines, pretty tasty.

ALL OF MY MONEY! TAKE IT! I DON'T NEED IT!

I mean... *cough*

I like others died at post #51, then came back to life to drool and swoon at subsequent posts.
Everything you are doing is amazing.

If anyone is in or around San Antonio has nothing to do tonight, you can check out this ASHPD in person at the Blue Star Art Complex, upstairs in building B. Photos could be expected this weekend.

sci-fi-friday%20flyer2-small.jpg

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back