Portal II: Aperture Science Sentry Turret

Yaan

Hi.

I am currently buliding a "prop" from one of my favorite games: PORTAL. The game features some funny sentry turrets, i like the design and i found it on thingiverse.

The design i am using was made by "swesen" Linus Boreus from Sweden - Portal Aperture Science Sentry turret by swesen

I am trying to learn some new techniques, i am especially new to 3D design and printing and painting as well. Just got a new printer and will post as i go.

I made some really bad screenshots and tried to gather some information about the coloring and details:

CB588502-3D86-4F02-9B35-71C8D1D559EC_1_105_c.jpeg
7D5D02D7-627A-46ED-A069-C2FA53E7179E_1_105_c.jpeg

Luckily i found a complete 3D model directly from the game, so i could get a much better view for the details:

IMG_0284.jpeg

So, this is the look i am going for. I am planning to make a "like new" version and a weathered, "used" version.

I am still trying to get the right settings for the printer. This is a tedious process, as you change the settings, print a testpattern and look for the right results, print again and so on. I already found a very good resin, which works best for me but obviously, there are slight changes from different production charges. So you have to tweak the settings a bit.

IMG_0338.jpeg

I scaled the original model to 60%, this is the biggest i can go with my current printer. You could cut the model in smaller pieces, but you would have to glue the parts together again. Getting good transitions with minor rework is hard to achieve, and you would have to use putty.

The round "eye" is about 14mm in diameter, the resolution of the printer will definitely do the job, as there are no highly detailed parts in this build.

A71B9B47-CD3F-46E4-8FF0-DA4D8B753686_1_105_c.jpeg

Here you can see the layer lines and it seems like the printer did a little shift, so this has to be sanded down.

Cool project. (y)
I've seen a few people make them over the years.

Don't know if you saw it but JakeySnakey630 has been working on one that will be fully functional.
Link

Couple reference pix for you.
CINTh.jpg
FL7q0.jpg
iH8wD.jpg

Thanks alot for the pictures. I did see the functional turret from Jake - awesome.

I ran into another issue with the resin printer:

IMG_0340.jpeg

It needs a lot of supports to print objects really straight. I might fix this - more likely i will print another set and try to
print it directly on the bed surface, without supports.

IMG_0298.jpeg

Most parts came out excellent.

Last edited:
Using resin to glue the parts. This is getting me pretty good transitions, tried superglue first but this works even better.

IMG_0377.jpeg

IMG_0342.jpeg

IMG_0367.jpeg

Testfitment for the weathered version, the middle part is pretty warped, the shell isnt.

Last week i wet sanded some parts:
IMG_0440.jpeg

And i made the slots go through:
IMG_0493.jpeg

Finally my spray cabin showed up so i could lay some color:

IMG_0561.jpeg

IMG_0562.jpeg

I am really happy with the result so far, this should have been the version i planned to weather and make it a bit battle damaged. I`ll see.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back