Portal 2 Gun LED Help Needed

Laur4Sure

Hi everyone! While I've turned to this forum for build advice before, I finally joined to create this post and get help from people smarter than me.

My goal to build a Chell cosplay for NYCC this October, and of course I need to have an ASHPD. I've been studying every build I can find, from the OG Volpin props to Odin's mostly foam build and every Instructable in between. I think I have a pretty good plan in place and am cherry-picking the parts of each build that I think I can accomplish based on my skill level (not exactly advanced) and tools I already have.

I haven't started buying/gathering/building anything yet until I'm clear on how the electronics fit into the whole thing. I know I want my gun to light up (not even thinking about sound, as I think that is beyond me right now). I've been trying to teach myself about wiring LEDs and have been reading/watching various resources. This type of thing is usually way out of the realm of what I feel comfortable handling, but I think I actually may have the beginnings of understanding. I could use some advice/feedback to see if I'm on the right track or not though.

Below is my diagram of how I think I need to set the electronics up. I know it's less elegant than a schematic, but it's easier to visualize it when it's drawn out and color coded like this.

I plan to have 12 LEDs (6 blue and 6 orange) in the barrel of the device, with 2 (1 blue and 1 orange) on either end of the core, then another 2 (1 blue and 1 orange) for the indicator light on top. I plan to have it all go to a three way switch that will light up either color depending on which way I push, with the center neutral position being "off."

Here are my questions:
  • From what I've read, a parallel circuit is the way to go to keep voltage even across the LEDs (sorry if my jargon is not correct). From the way this is drawn, is that what I have here? I tried to set it up that way.
  • Assuming this is correct, or will be once I have feedback, when I get to the switch, I think I have to solder the positive wires to each of the "on" positions. That will leave me with 2 negative wires (blue and orange). Can I attach both of those to the middle "off" position?
  • Will my life be easier if I get LEDs prewired with resistors, so there is less math for me? What if resistors aren't actually needed, would the lights still work?
  • I'm also trying to figure out what I need battery wise, these formulas make my head spin.
  • Lastly, I know there are red lights on the front of the device near the claws. Would it make sense to have a separate circuit/switch for those, so I can keep them on regardless of whether I'm throwing blue or orange? Or is there a way to incorporate them into what I currently have.
20230409_103605.jpg
Sorry for the long post and all the questions, and my rudimentary drawing. Thanks in advance for any advice or assistance!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back