Anyone doing 'Planet of the Apes'?

Just done this!

Cut'n'shut real leather jacket/jerkin, chop shopped arms to leather gauntlets.
Canvas bandolier edged and added real leather ammo pouches (and dud ammo).
Leather boots and mod/pimped A.Mania mask with added fur and padded out foam internals.

No pvc here, Trying to keep it real with the original 68 version

GSoldierbmp.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
I'm looking to possibly do a high quality Apes costume for Halloween this year.

What do you guys think of this prosthetic?

Simian | Foam Latex Appliances | Foam Latex Proshetics | Halloween Foam Latex Masks | Chimpanzee | Apes Movie Makeup

I've bought a couple pieces from these guys for past Halloween's and had great success. They are pretty easy to apply and really look good.

My big concern is how to do the hair (crepe?)

The Apemania stuff seems pretty nice but the pics on their site aren't great. Are the higher end prosthetic masks really high quality?

thanks!

brad

Well I'm a purist/traditionalist when it comes to POTA. As close to the 1968 Original film for me really. I think the apemania stuff is as close as you can get. Great guys to deal with too!

Those above prosthetics you highlighted do appear very reasonable and good value.

Jessica is without doubt the expert here with all things ape. I'm sure she'll be along soon to help you out. Her sculpting is incredibly true to the life subject and she's making some amazing prosthetics.
Hopefully she'll have a new camera soon for some hair and close up facial updates.

I'm looking to possibly do a high quality Apes costume for Halloween this year.

What do you guys think of this prosthetic?

Simian | Foam Latex Appliances | Foam Latex Proshetics | Halloween Foam Latex Masks | Chimpanzee | Apes Movie Makeup

I've bought a couple pieces from these guys for past Halloween's and had great success. They are pretty easy to apply and really look good.

My big concern is how to do the hair (crepe?)

The Apemania stuff seems pretty nice but the pics on their site aren't great. Are the higher end prosthetic masks really high quality?

thanks!

brad

The Apemania stuff is high quality. The foam pieces are taken from actual molds used in the films, or so I've been told.

Brad I just looked at your link. It's a great chimpanzee foam latex piece but not really Planet of the Apes. If you look at the sculpt of the nose, it's a little off from Planet of the Apes, but perhaps the makers had to do that on purpose due to licensing purposes.

The foam latex piece on your link would make a very decent orangutan though from Planet of the Apes much better than it would a chimp. If I had photoshop skills I would so put on Dr. Zaius hair on that chimp and you can see what I am talking about. The muzzle would still be a little off but I bet it would dress better as an orangutan. I hope someone tries this theory out someday...

Last edited:
If you take a look at that Sam Simian link, it's a chimp muzzle and orangutan nostrils...if you happen to have a BluRay book of the Planet of the Apes, you can see a side profile of the main ape characters that Apemania made and photographed for the BluRay set.

I looked at that link again--I noticed that there is an orangutan wig/hair style with that appliance. If you are freaked out about the wig, orangutan is the one to go with. Is the muzzle one piece that you have to slice apart?

The Horse mounted pics ROCK !!!

I was working on an Apes Rifle and Apes pistol. I could use some help with Refeence pics of the Sling for the rifle. You can see my progress on this thread. :wacko

http://www.therpf.com/f9/planet-apes-prop-replica-rifle-2011-a-126557/#post1888138

Any help with the references would be greatly appreciated. I am trying for a Rifle, pistol, and machine gun. I am scratch building everything.

Rifle built - need sling help :confused
Pistol - rough cut done - need detail work and finishing. :cool
Machine Gun - On the drawing board. :love

Thanks,

Gordon

GI Joe Goes Ape!

Mini Me

Well I've not made one of these since 1974. (Before those poor Mego imposters hit the shops) All my joes went Ape in those days.
GIJoeGoesApe.jpg
[/IMG]

This is over an old 64 X talking Joe that was face blackened and beyond repair. This is my first attempt since 74!

OMG I've just found this thread and I have to say those shots of you guys on horseback are superb!

I'm in the UK too. Do you still do appearances?

Just finished this bandolier...I don't have the tools to add the snaps or I would add them...and the local hardware shop didn't have the exact snap hook but it will do once the brass has been aged.
DSC08061.jpg
DSC08060.jpg

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back