Anyone doing 'Planet of the Apes'?

If you get the foam latex from Apemania, you will have no regrets, provided you are not allergic to latex. And wigs are easy enough to make yourself if you are so inclined, and you can use real hair. I have never seen DP masks in person, and most of what I see posted now are past their prime.

The thing with the economic ape masks from Apemania is that's just what they are...they are made to fit most people. And they are made out of latex, not foam latex.

There is also no comparing foam latex woochie masks with Apemania foam latex masks as far as sculpts go. Those are night and day.

Last edited:
Very happy with our Apemania masks! :)

2005_0118nscnov20080029.jpg

P1010088.jpg

We love our Apemania foam latex masks, too, when I can afford it. Worth its weight in gold.

dsc03096co.jpg

Last edited:
I base my comparison to the old Don Post POTA mask that looked like you were wearing prosthetics.

From what I see on the Apemania site, the hair looks like crepe hair. ugh.
I prefer the sculpt on the old Don Post masks as well, and they fit like a glove when brand new, but to be honest that fake fur they glued onto them left a lot to be desired. It could sometimes be shaped into a semi-reasonable form, but more often than not still stuck up at odd angles wherever it wanted to.

The mask I ordered is a Marcus mask, hoping to be able to talk in it. It has an open mouth with teeth showing. Also, the face is brown. A mate of mine is making the bandoliers, mine with the six glyphs, plus I#m getting the whistle ;-)

Can't wait for this all to be finished.

The Marcus mask...economy? Or did you spend a lot of chimpchange?

Anyway, I can't wait to see your photos of your costume!!!

When Pullover mask, especially one intended to fit a varity of differn't heads, it has to be done in a certain way, Skellitor type eyesockets are somewhat commin with them depending on what it is.

Ive never bought anything from Apemania, Could never afford to, plus I feel like Im cheating if I don't make it myslef, but their work is superb, Yes the hair on some of the Masks look a bit dodgy, but it could be alot worse, The sculpts themselves are wonderfull, and Obviously the Prosthetics are great.

There's nothing more exciting than seeing a bunch of apes in a convention! Well, I would really love to see some gorillas on horseback, really. Hopefully Apemania can make that happen someday.

The Marcus mask...economy? Or did you spend a lot of chimpchange?

Anyway, I can't wait to see your photos of your costume!!!

Hi Jess,

I went with the economy option ..... for starters ! Nothing like your chimp prosthetics, that's for sure ;-)

There's nothing more exciting than seeing a bunch of apes in a convention! Well, I would really love to see some gorillas on horseback, really

Its being discussed at the yard where my wife keeps her horse ( he's retired now ) but we hoping to get some pics done on some of the others there soon .

Just need to get permission from the other owners

OMG DAVE!!! YESSSS!!!! Please post lots and lots of photossssss!!!!

I heard you can MacGuyver the economy masks, but I have not seen it done so I just can't imagine how to proceed...but even if you can talk, it would still be hot to wear just because of the nature of the latex beast. And yes, there's nothing as magical as foam latex glued onto your face, for me at least. LOL!!

True...at least, until you get that first itch and can't scratch it without ruining the appliance. :lol

It's happened to me, but you can't really ruin the appliance until you tear it off. It's pretty resilient.

The worst thing ever is when you sneeze by accident. Usually I can feel a sneeze coming and can supress it...but twice in a row I sneezed with foam latex glued onto my face.

The second worst thing ever is when you feel your nose run and you can't use a tissue. I have to excuse myself, sneak to a bathroom, and stuff a q-tip through the muzzle of my apeface to get to my nose. Damned allergies!! I would NEVER EVER glue down foam latex onto my face if I had a cold. Never.

Last edited:
We managed to get all the owners to agree a time on Saturday & we made out dream come true .
Here's a few pics
DSC_0056_2_2.jpg

DSCN7833.jpg

DSCN7843.jpg

DSC02857.jpg

DSCN7891.jpg

The weather was great & we got 100's of pics .

Big thanks to the Horses who were great ,Blue , Ruby & Blossom .
Blue fell asleep at the end as they had all been out riding for a couple of hours before we got let loose on them .

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back