Aliens: Gateway Station Shuttle- research thread

That's right.
Interestingly, quite some effort was spend in replicating the Regult and Quel Quallie parts. Also the side windows of the Porsche seem to be replaced.

Cheers,
Stefan

Well even though it is only NEARLY part for part accurate... it is the first I have seen done in studio scale. I can't help but to get excited about such a nice piece. :)

As Lee stated... It's nice... VERY nice in my humble opinion. And it is the only one so far that I have seen. I would love to see a kit made of this. ;)

The real interesting this is that, for me anyway, a true scratch builder doesn't rely on ready made parts, but makes them from scratch to match the originals. True... most of this model was made from the actual kit parts... but I really love to see the creativity with scratch building. It is true modeling to me even though I am only a collector these days. Even if I still built models... I am not certain I would have the skill to replicate parts from scratch. Kudos to Matt on that! :D

That stated... I know that is not the 'studio scale' way... which is why I don't entirely claim to be a studio scale purist. ;) But I do go for as accurate as possible. ;)

Congratulations to Matt on a wonderful build... and Clay for a wonderful piece to show! (y)cool:thumbsup

Hi Kurt,

do you have any more background info on Matt's build? Didn't he knew about the Regult and QQ parts or is there another reason why he didn't use them (like the cost of the kits)?

Cheers,
Stefan

Last edited:
Hi Kurt,

do you have any more background info on Matt's build? Didn't he knew about the Regult and QQ parts or is there another reason why he didn't use them (like the cost of the kits)?

Cheers,
Stefan

Hi Stefan! :D

I think he is a member here and will inform him of your question my friend. :D

Hi Kurt,

Cheers,
Stefan

Just availability for me, cant even find a QQ right now Stefan lol, though, id not sub it for scratched parts now its known, same goes for many donors, but apparently we have to throw those out and start building our own parts now LOL.

Last edited:
Just availability for me, cant even find a QQ right now Stefan lol, though, id not sub it for scratched parts now its known, same goes for many donors, but apparently we have to throw those out and start building our own parts now LOL.

LOLOLOL..... noooo.... Lee... you are a true studio scale purist... so building with the same parts as the original is what is important to you. You are a real definition of the Studio Scale purist. ;) I say that as being of the highest compliment to your type of professional modeling. :) Those expensive kits and parts definitely shouldn't be thrown out. :) Especially since you use them.

The comment I made was me alone in that I am impressed with the skills to replicate parts from scratch. That is the true definition of a Scratch Modeler. ;)

Stefan.... If you go to the RI... to this thread... http://www.resinilluminati.com/showthread.php?t=6849
I believe Matt will see it and answer the question. ;) He doesn't spend much time on the boards these days since we have he and R.L. Bleecker booked with work for years to come... LOLOL... especially now that crunch time is coming for the Gallery. ;)

Seven... I always love that photo... thanks for posting it! :D I see you live in Salem OR. Because we are waiting for some legal things in Vegas regarding land and what we will be doing... our first shop setup starts on July 1, 2009 .... in SALEM! :D LOLOL....

Last edited:
FYI I have all the reference photos needed for an accurate build of this bird (every angle) on eBay. I already offered these up but no one was interested unless they were freebies.

Please no bashing in this thread, its for models only. If you want to comment on these there is always the PM button.

Testors "MRCA Tornado" (this kit is differend to Italeri Tornado ECR)

%21BTr7qqwB2k%7E$%28KGrHgoH-DUEjlLlw8DFBKJvTSR,vQ%7E%7E_1.JPG

I picked up an old Italeri MRCA Tornado on the weekend and from the parts layout and colour of plastic, it looks to be the same as the Testors MRCA. If so, it can probably be ruled out as there are extra bits sticking out of the rear of the tail just below the aft passive ECM housing. It doesn't have the tiny fins at the base though. I'll post some pics when I get home from work.

Cheers, JT

JT, thanks for the info!

Here's the updated list of wrong Tornado kits:

Revell "Tornado GR.1 RAF" - copyright 1998
Italeri "Tornado ECR" - no copyright
Italeri/Testors "Tornado MCRA" - extra bits just below the aft passive ECM
Airfix "Panavia Tornado GR1" - copyright 1982

Cheers,
Stefan

Stefan,

I looked at the Aliens Special Edition extras the other night, and there is copy of the pic you posted on page six of this thread
attachment.php

I've circled the back of the tail in red. As you can see, there is another protrusion below the aft passive ECM housing. Perhaps the other two from the Italeri kit were removed by the modelmakers, or snapped off during or after construction?

I've attached scans of the kit box-top, the sprues and a close-up of the tail. Grid on the background is 1cm squares.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Have you got better reference to check against? I can't see enough from the posted shuttle pictures to say yea or nay.

Cheers, JT

Jt, I wish we had that kind of images on all the Tornado kits!
As for reference - you know about those images Carson posted on page 5 (post #44)?

Judging from those images, I'd say we can rule out the kit. In those images the rear ECM housing almost connects to the forward and the base of the tail fin is really narrow near the back. Also there is no indication of the two holes and I doubt that they took the time to fill them.

Cheers,
Stefan

Not sure on dates of release Stefan, but the closest fin i can find, is on the Hasegawa IDS buddy, the ECM looks close to the ref pics, from the Italeri and Revell's ive looked into, there indeed incorrect!

lee

Here's a picture of the Hasegawa Tornado IDS "Tiger Meet 2003" tail:

383-3221.jpg

I'd say the rear ECM housing is too short and it hase the small fins near the base. However, I agree that it's the best overall shape I've seen until now.

Cheers,
Stefan

The Tigermeet, seems to be way different to the Marinefleiger i posted Stefan, the rear ECM blends into the tail more discreetly, and there seems to be the lack of the raised burs prominent on the Tiger, and lacking on the Shuttle prop?
Maybe worth checking out Japanese Tornado's?

bests......lee

According to the link you posted the "Marineflieger" kit is the same as the "Tiger Meet" except for the decal sheet - so I guess we can add it to the "wrong" list:

Revell "Tornado GR.1 RAF" - copyright 1998
Italeri "Tornado ECR" - no copyright
Italeri/Testors "Tornado MCRA" - extra bits just below the aft passive ECM
Airfix "Panavia Tornado GR1" - copyright 1982
Hasegawa "Tornado IDS 'Tiger Meet 2003'" / "Tornado IDS 'Marineflieger'"

Cheers,
Stefan

Last edited by a moderator:
We can also rule out the following two due to missing forward ECM housing;

Hasegawa TORNADO F MK3 NO 25 SQUADRON #740
Hasegawa TORNADO F MK3 'REGIA AERONAUTICA' #641

From the box art, the Heller GR.4/4A looks wrong too, as it has a bit sticking out of the sides of the tail under the ECM housings and appearsto have the tiny winglets at the base.

HLL80328.jpg

I'll try to get a closer look today, as it is listed as in stock at my LHS.

Cheers, JT

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back