Star Trek V: The Final Frontier Type 4 shuttlecraft

Matte Painter

Shuttlecraft_23thCentury_Copernicus06.jpg

I always had a fondness for this shuttlecraft, seen in ST V and adapted for TNG. I believe there were a few miniatures made at two different scales, the one shown in the pic appears to be the larger scale.
Looks like it's not been easy to get a kit of this for quite some time? So I was thinking of modelling in CAD to 3D print one.

This thread here Interest - Star Trek V: Galileo Shuttlecraft 1:18 scale model suggests there are drawings... out there, however these appeared to elude this previous effort.

I'm either looking for more info (original dimensional drawings?) to help me make an accurate computer model, or proof showing that it's a well covered subject and I'd just be wasting my time.
If there are neither then I'll just have a go from photos and screengrabs.

Any help?
Thanks.

Last edited:
Thanks. I have a handful of those sorts of drawings, but of course non of them seem to agree with each other. There's only a handful of photos of the one at the Christies auction too, which is a little surprising, I thought all the subjects there were well covered.

I've made a start fleshing it out and I want to do the interior too. I watched the movie last night to take screengrabs. I think I can probably eyeball most of it, but I just don't want to get more than 50% done with the design and then someone turns up with awesome reference or a rival project, because that really takes the wind out of ones sails.

1688281265604.png

Thanks. I have a handful of those sorts of drawings, but of course non of them seem to agree with each other. There's only a handful of photos of the one at the Christies auction too, which is a little surprising, I thought all the subjects there were well covered.

I've made a start fleshing it out and I want to do the interior too. I watched the movie last night to take screengrabs. I think I can probably eyeball most of it, but I just don't want to get more than 50% done with the design and then someone turns up with awesome reference or a rival project, because that really takes the wind out of ones sails.

View attachment 1715252

I'm surprised there is not a lot of love for this shuttle. Few builds, and some papercraft. It was actually difficult to find the stuff that I did find. The drawings are not official and are most likely done by fans.

Are you planning on making an interior? The exterior pictures of the full scale prop has a dark window so you can't see anything inside anyway.

TazMan2000

I'm surprised there is not a lot of love for this shuttle. Few builds, and some papercraft. It was actually difficult to find the stuff that I did find. The drawings are not official and are most likely done by fans.

Are you planning on making an interior? The exterior pictures of the full scale prop has a dark window so you can't see anything inside anyway.

TazMan2000
Right. If I could get a few more pictures from the Christies auction I think I could get pretty accurate. They were placed on nice white square plinths, which is great for camera matching.

I may do a first pass of just the exterior, but I want to at least be able to light it.

I found two really interesting pages on the Christies page, including dimensions (60x27x16 without the engines... 5 feet!) and what appears to be plans for the fullsize version. The logo is TNG, but I think there was a lot of crossover on ST:V, they even used the TNG corridors.

Upon further reading, Galileo type shuttlecraft model

The article is a little confusing. It states that 6 miniatures were made, but only 5 were screen used. However, I counted the ones it describes and I only count 5 in total and 4 screen used, unless they're counting the test proxy model "Guido-II", but that wasn't screen used either.

- 1/12 scale (32" long) Hero Galileo, screen used. Later adapted for Generations and renamed the Hawking. Still owned by Paramount(?)
- 1/12 scale (32" long) A copy moulded from the first one, never used on screen but later finished by Greg Jein (with Galileo 7 livery). Now owned by Paul Allen's Seattle based Pop-culture museum. Note; the dimensions of the hull engine cowls appear to be shorter.
- Three 1/6 scale (5' long) , one Galileo with breakaway engines for the crash, rigged with pyro in the engine nacelles. The Copernicus model still held by Paramount and the two Galileo models sold at the Christies auction in 2006.

2006_NYR_01778_0717_000(124628).jpg

Last edited:
Day 3. Trying to put photos to descriptions of the 5 (6?) miniatures made:

1688425294061.png
12290470313_b110f81875_o.jpg

1/12 Screen used Galileo, redressed as the Hawking for TNG and owned by the studio.

GregJeins_copy.jpg

1/12 Non-screen used Greg Jein model made from a cast (note the '7'), displayed at Planet Hollywood and then sold to Paul Allen, on display in Seattle.

12290555163_bd98ea52e2_o.jpg

1/6 scale (5 footer) Copernicus, owned by the studio and occasionally displayed along with the 1/12 Galileo (Hawking)

2006_NYR_01778_0986_000(124640).jpg

1/6 scale (5') Galileo with breakaway nacelles. Sold at auction.

2044670097_061de2773f_o.jpg

1/6 scale (5') Galileo with intact nacelles (mostly). sold at auction.

So here's the odd ball. https://entertainment.ha.com/itm/mo...tar-trek-v-the-final-frontier/a/997018-2294.s
Claimed to be from the movie, made in fibreglass but detailed and finished after production, so perhaps another one from Greg? It's not done to the same level though.
"The two pontoon-like nacelles and smaller parts were expertlyrecreated and the model painted and finished post-production. Theminiature measures approx. 31 x 18 x 11 in. and comes suspended ontwo 5 in. posts set on a 12 x 22 in. wooden base. In finecondition. Special shipping arrangements will apply."
lf.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back