1/72 Boeing 747 with Shuttle commission

OK more progress. Fuselage is joined and filled , it just needs a little more filling/sanding. Tailplane assembled and fitted and wings made ready to join. The shuttle itself should be complete by this evening too.
DSC03945.jpg

DSC03946.jpg

DSC03947.jpg

Very cool!

The tail cone could do with a little reshaping, if you are going for accuracy.

It'll be interesting to see the finished nose and cockpit windows of the 747 as those are the make or break parts of any 747 model. Don't get them spot on and it looks like just a model.

Looks great!

Not to derail the topic, but when I see that model at that size, I can't help but wonder how much fun it would be to make it into the Columbia Airlines jet from Airport 1975, with super-detailing the cockpit, damage and all!

Well the hardest part is nearly done. I had to scratchbuild the shuttle cradle. It took hours only for me to find that it sat a little too high , so it was pulled apart and redone.. Its not 100% acuurate but it is very strong. It still needs some work and another strut adding. Thought i would take a break and take some photos.

DSC03995.jpg

DSC03997.jpg

DSC03998.jpg

DSC03999.jpg

I can't wait to see more of this project.....fantastic build!!! I can't get over the sheer size of the model!

Chris

I built the wings today. I fitted them with brass tube wing spars. They are supprisingly strong when built. Its getting big now!

DSC04018.jpg

DSC04019.jpg

Heres a 2 litre coke bottle for scale
DSC04020.jpg

Just out of curiosity, are you going to finish the 747 as the early version with the American Airlines metal finish, or the later NASA colors repaint?

E

Luckily this one was saved and i was asked to continue with it. Its bene a long slog but its almost done.Still a little more to do yet but its so close to going off to its new home. Excuse the background , its our dining room but it gives a good rear view in the mirror! Now its not 100% accurate is the customer didnt want the rear cone fitted to the shuttle , and the rear mounts were a compromise between scale and strength.

DSC05327.jpg

DSC05329.jpg

DSC05332.jpg

DSC05328.jpg

DSC05330.jpg

DSC05331.jpg

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back