Bandai 1/72 Y Wing Help

lucavigg

My son got me the Bandai 1/72 Y Wing for Christmas and I've just started identifying and cutting out parts. Does anyone have any suggestions for handling the very tiny parts on Sprue C? So far I've had to repair two parts that snapped while removing them from the sprue.

Sprue cutters tend to move the thick mount so much that the part distorts and scalpel is difficult to use without applying too much pressure. Next attempt would be a small saw blade to cut through and relieve some of the tension before cutting the other supports.

Hope everyone has a great New Year.

IMG_2821.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2821.JPG
    IMG_2821.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 33
Yes, I tried cutting at the positions you suggest but still suffered a few breakages at the very weakest points. I just tried to use a saw blade on my mini USB drill and it seems to be quite successful. The problem with the sprue cutters is they squeeze and distort the spruce a good 3 or 4 mm which is enough to over tension the part.

never seen so many tiny parts on a model.

Last edited:
No DO NOT SAW! The back and forth tension will likely break the very thin parts even easier than cutting them off the sprue. Instead use the sprue cutters to free the part near the thicker joint of the sprue and then place the piping or part on a cutting mat and use an Xacto blade with steady pressure to cut away the flash. You can then gently sand the part smooth before putting it on the model.

The 'offset cut' method is usually very successful, for both such situations as this as well as when the attachment at the part is over large. The amount of distortion you described may indicate you need a 'nipper' with a finer blade. Also, try and use just the tips of the nipper blades (since that is the smallest cross section of the blades.

Using a micro saw is also possible, but again, cutting offset from the part may be required. It takes patience sometimes since sawing takes more time to accomplish.

In any case, look for nippers that have a fine 'tip' for use when working with delicate parts, which is more common these days with the more detailed, finely molded "modern" kits!

Glad you had success! Look forward to a pix or two of the finished model, sir!
Regards, Robert

I usually use an eXacto and just gently swipe in one direction till the part pops loose. I only use the smallest amount of pressure and put the tip of the blade right up against the part to minimize cleanup. The blade will be cutting even if you think it's not. It usually works even on very brittle plastic, though it does take quite a bit of time.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back