1/2 studio scale TOS Galactica 95% done updated 12/22

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(star-art @ Dec 18 2006, 04:32 PM) [snapback]1380559[/snapback]</div>
You're moving incredibly fast, Mike. Looking good. As to the crack about the blueprints, let's see yours if they're better. :lol This subject is so challenging, no one else has ever drawn more accurate blueprints. Sure, Mike ran into a couple issues interpreting the plans. But he's moving at warp 9 so that's understandable.

The shape looks really good, but the details can sometimes make all the difference. A smaller scale model is going to be an interpretation of the original, more like a sculpture. It will be very hard to get a really close match when working in a different scale.

Mike, yeah the "chin" under the nose was a big goof. That area is pretty darned hard to even draw, much less build. I made quite a few mockups before I got it just right (something I highly recommend, though I understand when folks are so excited to build they just want to get straight to it).

I also noticed your "eyebrow" is off. This should be slanted downward, giving it a "meaner" look. THe head curves behind it, but the part is straight so this causes lots of confusion for people building this ship. Your version looks like what Brad Gaffey did on his model. Also, the eye "sockets" aren't the same on either side of the ship. The port side is much taller, cutting nearly all the way to the "mouth."

BTW, if anyone thinks the plans used to build this model aren't "accurate," how do you explain this?
http://www.starshipbuilder.com/forums/showthread.php?t=884
:D
[/b]

Thanks Charles, yeah the chin was the biggest goof i made, luckily i was able to get it "more correct". I am doing this at warp 9 in large part because my time budget was pretty small, since this will not be a kit I need to finish it off really quick and move on to the next projects for spring kits. If this was a kit project much, much more time would have been spent making sure things were more symetrica and the details were closer. All and all the whole project was a compromise, but i am still vey happy to have a nice Galactica model......
mike

Thanks Charles, yeah the chin was the biggest goof i made, luckily i was able to get it "more correct". I am doing this at warp 9 in large part because my time budget was pretty small, since this will not be a kit I need to finish it off really quick and move on to the next projects for spring kits. If this was a kit project much, much more time would have been spent making sure things were more symetrica and the details were closer. All and all the whole project was a comprimise, but i am still vey happy to have a nice Galactica model......
mike
[/b]

Well I'm glad you're not trying this on as a kit, Mike, because I'd tell ya to go jump in a lake if you cam knockin' on my door asking for molds...

But seriously, M, lookin' sweet. That's gonna be a superior display piece for the studio. Excellent work.

-Gordon

Ok, so it is about 95% finished and painted up, still a bit of the red paint to do on the opposite side, and some more pencil work, there is some pencil panel lines but they do not show up great on pics. I am very happy with it, i know it not for everyone but i am very happy to have a cool looking Galactica. I learned a lot doing this project, and i have to say Charles was right when he said making the main structure was the easy part. The detailing caused me lots of lost sleep. Anyway here are some pics as it stands now, i have ordered a sheet of acrylic mirror to make a nice display stand out of, i would hate to have done all that detail on the bottom never to see it again.
Enjoy.
mike

Picture205.jpg

Picture202.jpg

Picture194.jpg

Picture199.jpg

Just connected your the same guy over at Macrossworld. :) Looks great bro. Are you going to keep a thread running here with your sdf-1 project?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(spcglider@aol.com @ Jan 2 2007, 05:35 PM) [snapback]1389154[/snapback]</div>
Yup...pretty spiffy-doo there Mikey.

Any hope for my lil'ol' IL-Series head molds? Just askin since I'm here.

-G
[/b]

Hi Gordon, i apoligize but i'm not sure what you are referring to.....feel free to PM me.
thanks
mike

That looks fan-freakin-tastic. :eek
Aaaaand, you built it so quick ..
It would'a taken me ages to do that and it wouldn't have turned out a quarter as good as yours.

(Walks away, mumbling something about people with too much talent). :(

;)

Just want to note here... I had THIS Mike confused with a totally DIFFERENT Mike.

Take all compliments as written in stone and all queries as dust in a windstorm...

Groovy stuff here, Mike.

-Gordon

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back