1/2 studio scale TOS Galactica 95% done updated 12/22

Another update, here is where i am today, still adding detail all over this thing, the back panel was a real pain, i needed to scratchbuild the Satrun V parts since there is no 1/2 scale kit. All the mini tank parts were modified 1/144 tanks, the ones on the full scale were 1/87 so i chopped to get them about the right size and molded them. There is a ton of them along the back so i made a gang mold once i had a handful cast.
Thanks again
mike

Picture167.jpg

Picture164.jpg

Picture162.jpg

Picture160.jpg

From this side this thing almost looks done, but there is still a bit to go, I may be a bit too "tall" at the very front but it may only look that way because there is not a lot of detail there. Either way it may be too late to change....

thanks
mike

Picture1762.jpg

Picture1752.jpg

Man, it's fun following following this progress.

I'm a little late, but if you can, take some pics before you apply primer to the remaining donor parts...for some reason I always dig seeing them in their raw state all fitted together. ;)

Man, that is coming together fast. Nice work Mike- you are capturing the feel of the 6 footer quite nicely with the detailing.

I agree- it is a little to tall in the front nose cap area. The upper half of the head hull section looks perfect; it's just the 'chin' area that extends down a little too deeply below. Not a criticism, but something you may prefer to address early in the build. It will bother you for the rest of your life otherwise. :) Believe me, tearing off kit parts to rebuild an area ain't fun.

Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup

Mike, Oz

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LastBattlestar @ Dec 16 2006, 08:33 AM) [snapback]1379173[/snapback]</div>
Man, that is coming together fast. Nice work Mike- you are capturing the feel of the 6 footer quite nicely with the detailing.

I agree- it is a little to tall in the front nose cap area. The upper half of the head hull section looks perfect; it's just the 'chin' area that extends down a little too deeply below. Not a criticism, but something you may prefer to address early in the build. It will bother you for the rest of your life otherwise. :) Believe me, tearing off kit parts to rebuild an area ain't fun.

Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup

Mike, Oz
[/b]

Yeah, after posting yesterday i went back to the Blueprints to see what happened. I "misread" that part of the BP's, in short i was looking at the "backround" part, the inner structure, when i was making the "foreground" part, it resulted in the chin parts being to tall. I have fixed one of the 2 chin parts and it looks much better, and it was an easy fix.... funny how taking a pic of something sometimes shows a mistake that you have trouble seeing in person....
mike

THAT is TRULY artwork.. Too bad I'm too far into building/fabricating Star Wars props or I'd devote my workshop space to somethign like this.

WELL DONE.. :thumbsup

Filpped the ship over again to finish up the detailing on the underside, as well as the engine thruster "cans". Since i needed 4 it was another part i took a mold of. If all goes well i should be painting on Thursday.
mike

Picture179.jpg

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SiR-ROUND @ Dec 18 2006, 08:47 AM) [snapback]1380301[/snapback]</div>
Sweetness. But where do you get a those details from?
[/b]

Thanks, do you mean what kit parts am i using or what reference I am using to detail the model?

The kit parts are from some 1/2 scale kits of know kits that were used on the original, i.e a 1/144 instead of 1/72 scale Leopold. but most are chopped up bits of kits that i had in my bin of leftovers from other builds.

I have attempted to make most of the details similar where i can using ref pics from the usual sites, like starshipbuilder.com, but more than anything at this point i am interested in making the model look correct to scale. I try to layer the detailing until it gets small enough to make the ship look "big"
mike

Bottom just about done and ready for painting. A little more to do on the top and i can paint the whole thing, maybe even Wed.

Picture184.jpg

Thanks. Well, it's impressive even if it's not entirely accurate, but that's impossible anyway without proper blueprints.

Hell of a job.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SiR-ROUND @ Dec 18 2006, 03:40 PM) [snapback]1380534[/snapback]</div>
Thanks. Well, it's impressive even if it's not entirely accurate, but that's impossible anyway without proper blueprints.

Hell of a job.
[/b]

Thanks, the shape of the ship is pretty accurate thanks to Charles Blueprints, it's all those little "greeblies" that just are not available in the half scale, so there is a lot of liberty taken with those...
thanks again
mike

You're moving incredibly fast, Mike. Looking good. As to the crack about the blueprints, let's see yours if they're better. :lol This subject is so challenging, no one else has ever drawn more accurate blueprints. Sure, Mike ran into a couple issues interpreting the plans. But he's moving at warp 9 so that's understandable.

The shape looks really good, but the details can sometimes make all the difference. A smaller scale model is going to be an interpretation of the original, more like a sculpture. It will be very hard to get a really close match when working in a different scale.

Mike, yeah the "chin" under the nose was a big goof. That area is pretty darned hard to even draw, much less build. I made quite a few mockups before I got it just right (something I highly recommend, though I understand when folks are so excited to build they just want to get straight to it).

I also noticed your "eyebrow" is off. This should be slanted downward, giving it a "meaner" look. THe head curves behind it, but the part is straight so this causes lots of confusion for people building this ship. Your version looks like what Brad Gaffey did on his model. Also, the eye "sockets" aren't the same on either side of the ship. The port side is much taller, cutting nearly all the way to the "mouth."

BTW, if anyone thinks the plans used to build this model aren't "accurate," how do you explain this?
http://www.starshipbuilder.com/forums/showthread.php?t=884
:D

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back