1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build

Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Console Replica

Digging a little deeper... I don't think they would have used those parts - it would have been too expensive to hack up a Altair 8800 just for some RAM slots... If those parts were readily available it would make sense. But I just don't see it being the 70's.

I do think it is some kind of bracket. Whether they're PC related... I don't know. :)

Oh on them pesky lenses, I went as far back as 1960 and found a PYE radio control box for something military which has similar sized red and green 15mm lamps as used in the Circuit Bay... The small 1960's lamps have misty/opaque anti-glare lenses as used in the larger 1960's Troughton Dr Who episodes, the size of these are the same size as the lens and bezels used in ANH but the ANH versions have the clear coloured lenses... In my avatar here you see them lights under the clock - they have the same size and type of bezel but the lenses are the squared top versions... Slightly smaller squared versions are used in late 70's Bond and Dr Who. So far they all point to ...Arcolectric.

Still not found the clear lenses to fit the 2.5" bezels though.

Oh on them pesky lenses, I went as far back as 1960 and found a PYE radio control box for something military which has similar sized red and green 15mm lamps as used in the Circuit Bay... The small 1960's lamps have misty/opaque anti-glare lenses as used in the larger 1960's Troughton Dr Who episodes, the size of these are the same size as the lens and bezels used in ANH but the ANH versions have the clear coloured lenses... In my avatar here you see them lights under the clock - they have the same size and type of bezel but the lenses are the squared top versions... Slightly smaller squared versions are used in late 70's Bond and Dr Who. So far they all point to ...Arcolectric.

Still not found the clear lenses to fit the 2.5" bezels though.

They do have a website. I'm going to check it out tomorrow. I can only assume (I hate to do it) that the bezels and lenses are no longer available... Or they at least know where they might be available... Let's hope?

There's another set of ten of these sockets on the ANH Falcon, hiding round the corner here, plus a similar sized circuit board under it. I'll try and find a better photo of this.

anhCircuitSlots2.png

There's another set of ten of these sockets on the ANH Falcon, hiding round the corner here, plus a similar sized circuit board under it. I'll try and find a better photo of this.

anhCircuitSlots2.png

Another great find! We've gotta nail those down! :)

Hi Gang,

The clear picture frame bumpers arrived. I did a backlight test and they look pretty good. I think they will look great once color is added. I hope! :)

20121216_195042.jpg

20121216_195140.jpg

20121216_195241.jpg

Its amazing what you can buy in bulk versus from the store
20121221_131725.jpg

20121221_131735.jpg

I am now officially on vacation for the next week and a half! :)

Last edited:

I think we are closer to finding them connectors. Sullins has been selling these parts since 1971 and did have a light green range that maybe still available on order. The largest size available now is a Card Edge: 7.375" / 187.33mm, 130pins. But there is a 140pin slightly larger type on this page...

http://www.digikey.com/catalog/en/partgroup/acc-series-card-edge-connectors/15519

The 140pin size should take it to just over 7.5".

Last edited:

anhCircuitSlots2.png

Holy CRUD!! I had an old XT 80/88 that had those card slots. It was an upgrade from the 80/85 and it had 10 expansion slots in it. It wouldn't run MS-DOS only PC-DOS or DR-DOS and had a whopping 128K of RAM with a 10mb full height 5.25" hard drive and a 5.25 DD 720 K Floppy. I think I paid 200 for it back in the 80's and it took months to get a hard drive for it that would work as it had an RLL Controller and most of the drives were the other standard.

I think we are closer to finding them connectors. Sullins has been selling these parts since 1971 and did have a light green range that maybe still available on order. The largest size available now is a Card Edge: 7.375" / 187.33mm, 130pins. But there is a 140pin slightly larger type on this page...

ACC Series Card Edge Connectors - Sullins Connector Solutions - Connectors | Dynamic Catalog | DigiKey Corporation

The 140pin size should take it to just over 7.5".

GREAT FIND! I've been looking at pricing and they appear to be around 20 to a little over 30 dollars a piece. I'm searching EBAY now. Hopefully I can find something... :)

GREAT FIND! I've been looking at pricing and they appear to be around 20 to a little over 30 dollars a piece. I'm searching EBAY now. Hopefully I can find something... :)

You think it would be cheaper to get one and try silicone molding it, casting your own. Much cheaper I would think.

Hi Gang,

I am BACK AT IT! Getting these two panels all finished for a coat of clear satin. I have to be honest... out of ALL panels so far... these were my least favorite...

20121222_075512.jpg

I decided to make these two a little different from each other. Nothing major... :)
20121222_075520.jpg

Also, We're planning on creating a 1/12 scale model of the MF. This model, we hope, will be the reference model used as we begin building the full scale MF. So... what you see here is a printed copy of the 1/12th scale cockpit (on rt) next to the foam core cockpit I printed and created for fun.

20121222_075533.jpg

LOTS More to Come!

UPDATES!

These panels are finally finished! Mostly...

I used the rocker knobs from the console... I don't have enough to go around so I'm going to look into making a mold. Can't hurt to try right? I have approx 50 to make... UGH... :)

Added greeblies just to see how it will look! Still have to spray clear satin...
20121222_093915.jpg

20121222_093920.jpg

20121222_093928.jpg

Stay Tuned!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back