1/2 studio scale TOS Galactica 95% done updated 12/22

mslz22

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So i have just started this a few nights ago using Charles Adams blueprints from starshipbuilder.com, I've started this now that all the t-65's are done (with the exception of some replacement parts that need shipping in the next few days). My goal with this project is to get the shape as close as possible and "mimic" the detailing as well as i can, i have started picking up some 1/2 scale kits (like a 1/144 leopold) and will be scratchbuilding some of the more important details in 1/2 scale myself. I will be happy if i can get most of the signature details close, i may build the full studio scale one someday so this may be serving as a glorified maquette for now. I also wanted to experiment with a couple of new techniques, like using the expanding foam that I saw REL use for his model, while i have carved out of foam and balsa i wanted to try this out on the "head" of the Galcatica. Let me know what you think...
mike

Using the blueprints i made the skeleton of the upper head of the galactica and then filled it with the expanding foam.

Picture110.jpg

Once the foam expanded the excess was carved away and shaped, i used a 15lb density foam which was hard to work. I have worked with 15lb density balsa foam before but for some reason the Smooth-on expanding foam was really tough, i will try the 8lb foam for the bottom. This is what it looked like after carving the excess, i will smooth it with body filler.

Picture112.jpg

With the blueprints the main body went together really quick, it's mostly MDF laminated with styrene. I am not lighting this so the body can be solid, i would never try this with the full studio size but it's still light enough in half scale and the MDF is very stable over time, even more so with the lamination. I know not lighting this may be a crime to some, but i have lit models before and only turn them on for a few minutes a year, so it's not worth the extra work for this particular model.

Picture113.jpg

Picture114.jpg

The back is hollow, it needs to be for the engine details, and it will also keep the weight in the middle as the tail and head will be light (the foam does not weigh much....

Picture115.jpg

With the back attached it really quickly starts to look like a Battlestar, i have started the landing bays but have not taken any pics of it yet........more to come.

Picture119.jpg

Picture120.jpg

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Apophis @ Nov 21 2006, 11:49 PM) [snapback]1363305[/snapback]</div>
Mike, do use a plotter to make the large prints or do you go to a print shop to get them printed?
Awsome job.
[/b]

I got them from Charles Adams at starshipbuilder.com, he did a really nice job on them...
thanks
mike

Wow, this is an exciting project. So far the dimensions seem to balance, and I like the scale. Let see those docking bays.

:thumbsup
:fettrotj

Can you tell me more about the foam you used- brand name, where to get it, tools to use with it? I'm very interested in learning to work with it myself for making molds.

For the bottom half I used Foam it 8 from smooth-on, a bit easier to carve than the 15. As for tools, i just used a raspfile and worked down to sandpaper, it needs a skim coat of something, i reluctanlty use ultafine bono, but i know that there is some coating that I've seen used. Maybe someone else can chime in about the coating. I will get some more progress pics up this weekend.
thanks
mike

Awesome. 15lb foam, man I know that took some work to carve. The 3.5lb stuff Smooth-on has is the best for this, carves pretty easy but it's still very durable.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mslz22 @ Nov 24 2006, 12:13 AM) [snapback]1364517[/snapback]</div>
For the bottom half I used Foam it 8 from smooth-on, a bit easier to carve than the 15. As for tools, i just used a raspfile and worked down to sandpaper, it needs a skim coat of something, i reluctanlty use ultafine bono, but i know that there is some coating that I've seen used. Maybe someone else can chime in about the coating. I will get some more progress pics up this weekend.
thanks
mike
[/b]

Mike,

Try a skin coat of your normal resin, mix it up chilled and "screed"* it or "squeegee" with a popsicle stick along the whole structure an area at a time. Messy, yes, but should give some good results.

* Screed definitions so its clear: In masonry terminology, a screed is a straight board used to even off the surface of sand or freshly poured concrete. The screed is usually slid across the tops of the form boards holding the sand or concrete. In this process, sand or concrete remaining above the level of the forms is moved to areas in which the sand or concrete level is too low, or else simply removed as excess.
More at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_floating_screed

Hope that helps, and looking forward to seeing this one go. LMK if you need and help with kit parts . . .

Ryan

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back