Review of SyFy's new tv show Hollywood Treasure

i really enjoy the show, as i'm a novice collector, its amazing to see where these things end up and how well they are cared for. I really love props and im glad there is a "show" for people like us to watch.

currently watching all the current episodes and to me i would love to have a look at this drawer.

34nhykm.png

im sorry but this show drives me nuts sometimes... when you see stuff like tonights episode and hear a guy who outbid the studio on their own prop for a museum, from planet of the apes, and he sticks it outside as a damn lawn ornament..

Yeah, I can't believe someone out bid the studio. Yet, I couldn't believe Paramount auctioned off the Enterprise D model a while back either. The statue really shouldn't be in the backyard under the hot sun. I'm surprised the guy still has it and someone hasn't run off with the statue in the middle of the night.

I need to see those Iron Man suits up close. In convention pictures they look really impressive. The Iron Monger was huge in the show. I remember being scared to death seeing the Alien Queen when she was in a museum.

That T2 arm piece is amazing as well. I still can't believe the directors of part 3 or 4 didn't realize the arm most likely wasn't completely destroyed in Terminator 2. But they didn't get the first two Terminator movies anyway...

The first article I wrote ever on the site was February 2010. Not 3 years ago.

There are many original content articles on the site of various subjects. Some about Profiles, some not. Including Walt Disney, Ray Harryhausen, mentions from other media, i.e. The L.A. Times, Disney, press releases, etc. There are multiple Comic Con articles, one of which mentions The Prop Store of London, theMppc, Propworx, and other businesses.There are also articles about Legacy Effects (formerly Stan Winston Studios), Star Wars Weekend, Collectors Corner, that features fellow collectors and their collections, an interview with director Joe Dante, and more. Some readers enjoy these subjects, some may not and that's fine.

I meant recently, the majority of your posts on the rpf were regarding PIH, your twitter page is filled with just PIH updates, and moviepropmuseum website's front page is basically updates on PIH . I can understand why RKPetersen felt you were a shill or shill-like...Maybe they sponsor your site...who knows...just seem to overly enthusiastic

After watching tonight's episode on syfy channel, and seeing you display your props on tv kinda makes me think twice...

You have a great prop collection btw

he was featured on wednesdays show....he was the one with the gremlins and how the grinch stoled christmas cels...he was the guy that wanted to start the prop museum and needed "funding"..

Does anyone remember the name of that costume warehouse in the UK that was briefly profiled somewhere in the shows #3-6 (my best guess)? They tried to get some items for auction but the company didn't release anything.

It's nice to see some of the props used in the movies and TV, but I have a hard time understanding how they authenticate some stuff just by looking at a DVD of the film or show.
I'm sorry but if people can forge priceless works of art, then it could be done with props also.

It's nice to see some of the props used in the movies and TV, but I have a hard time understanding how they authenticate some stuff just by looking at a DVD of the film or show.
I'm sorry but if people can forge priceless works of art, then it could be done with props also.

i've wondered this as well.....I've rather enjoyed this show.It's rather entertaining and sometimes knowledgable. I've seen alot of props i wouldnt mind having or even seeing in person

I'm sorry but I hope the show gets canceled. I don't like how they throw numbers at people in order to get someone to sell their props just so that he can make money off your item or items. Joe doesn't care about the props he only cares that you let him sell your item so he can make money off your item. You can tell by the look on his face everytime someone tells him "i dont want to sell" he gets mad. This is another show that doesn't belong on syfy.

I'm sorry but I hope the show gets canceled. I don't like how they throw numbers at people in order to get someone to sell their props just so that he can make money off your item or items. Joe doesn't care about the props he only cares that you let him sell your item so he can make money off your item. You can tell by the look on his face everytime someone tells him "i dont want to sell" he gets mad. This is another show that doesn't belong on syfy.

Let me begin by saying that I am not a Profiles In History shill, but I have dealt with them on both the buying and selling side of this hobby.

Joe is not only the owner of Profiles, he is also an avid collector of props/costumes and historic documents. His private collection is top shelf. He as a real passion for the hobby. It is true that he has to be a bit of a salesman to get some to part with objects that will draw attention to his company since they are top shelf pieces, but keep in mind that he gets nothing from the seller, only the buyer. So those who consign a piece get the full amount of the gavel price minus the buyers premium which is Joe's cut.

Joe is a great guy, extremely smart and a genuine "friend of the hobby." The show is a hodgepoge of the same auction at different points in the process. The show is extremely "dumbed down" to get the average viewer to watch. It's no different than the Antiques Road Show format. Each person shown on screen has been through a days worth of waiting while the personality has looked at the piece, consulted others, and has done a ton of research before it is interview/ evaluation time. Once on screen there is only a few minutes focused on the item.

As for authenticating items using dvd's.....well there was a lot more too it than that. Unfortunately that was the only portion of the process/segment that was shown. A few collectors of Jurrasic stuff were telling me that the Profiles group combed through Stan Winston's records, the Margret Herrick Library, the film, and multiple publicity shots etc. Really more exhaustive then most collectors do. Remember this a tv show meant to excite viewers, not to satisfy the hardcore hobbyist. I for one like the show a lot for what it is. No one is ever forced to sell. So although Joe may throw dollar amounts out to the owner, seldom does the price not match is evaluation within 5% :thumbsup

Last edited:
Joe is not only the owner of Profiles, he is also an avid collector of props/costumes and historic documents. His private collection is top shelf. He as a real passion for the hobby. It is true that he has to be a bit of a salesman to get some to part with objects that will draw attention to his company since they are top shelf pieces, but keep in mind that he gets nothing from the seller, only the buyer. So those who consign a piece get the full amount of the gavel price minus the buyers premium which is Joe's cut.

I thought the seller had a percentage taken AND the buyer paid a premium on each sale. Are you saying the buyer sells the piece and NO percentage is taken from the final sale amount?

I thought the seller had a percentage taken AND the buyer paid a premium on each sale. Are you saying the buyer sells the piece and NO percentage is taken from the final sale amount?

That can depend on the arrangement and piece being sold. As a rule yes, but on the top shelf pieces I was referring too, not usually. This goes for all auction companies be they Christies, Bonhams etc.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back