Review of SyFy's new tv show Hollywood Treasure

The collectors I talked with aren't the fly-by-night type, if that is what you are getting at. I think everyone sees the show as "fun" and entertaining, but few serious collectors are taking it as anything more than an infomercial for Profiles and not anything resembling a serious look into the prop world. Again, this isn't necessarily a dig at Profiles. If a serious approach was taken, the average watcher would probably be bored out of their mind... it is just tough watching some of the things our community is very passionate about be glossed over and some bad habits be introduced to the non-prop community.

Like I said, when we met Brian in person, the perception I got from him is very different than the one I got from the show in regard to how sincere Profiles is about what they do.

What collectors did you speak with? The original prop collectors and non collectors I have spoken with in NY and LA (when I am there), love the show. Most reviews (and the ratings) of the show have been very good.

The only one really "dogging" the show was a certain competitor of Profiles, that does about 1/10 of the business. Members of that competitors forum posted they liked the show in many (of course not all) of their posts. When the competitor said he did not watch the show, the tone of the posts changed. Not surprising.

Glad you are giving the show a chance. As many shows progress they learn and get better. I think it's an original idea for those people interested in their favorite films, and the cool props, artifacts and stories surrounding then. I also believe it is a good thing for collectors, fans, and the hobby.

:lol:lol:lol:lol Well of course you had the first review and a glowing one too! As a shill for Profiles, it's your job to issue press releases and 'reviews' disguised as news and objective appraisal, isn't it? Or are you still pretending that you have no relationship with them and Joe? Can we see a show of hands from those who believe that?

And I find it fairly ironic that you're accusing your 'competitor' of doing the exact same thing you do; i.e. trying to manipulate people's opinions despite your obvious and barely disguised conflict of interest.

Rkpeterson, for some reason unknown to me, you choose to post unsupported, untrue comments regarding myself and Profiles, not only on another forum, but here as well.

Just as I did there, I will respond to your nonsense only once, so pay attention.

As a shill for Profiles

Incorrect. I am not a "shill" for anyone.

I wrote a review of a show I liked. Multiple independent reviewers, some of which I posted here, did too. They, as well as I, published mostly favorable reviews for that show. The show was such a success it had the highest premier ratings in 6 years of any SyFy show. So many people enjoy the show that is has been renewed for a second season.

it's your job to issue press releases and 'reviews' disguised as news and objective appraisal.

Your saying that those documented, public, and favorable reviews are disguised as news and objective appraisal, is not only incorrect, but strange.

I can and do speak for myself. You have the right to speak for yourself only. Do not tell me what my "job" is.

trying to manipulate people's opinions despite your obvious and barely disguised conflict of interest.

That comment was oddest of all.

I do not, would not, nor do I think I could, "manipulate" anyone's opinion. Each individual does that for themselves.

are you still pretending that you have no relationship with them and Joe?

I stopped pretending after @ age 7.

Obviously I have met Joe, Jon, Brian, Tracey, Fong, Lou and most everyone else at Profiles while in California filming videos and covering articles. They are nice, hardworking people who I am friendly with.

I am also friendly with most people and that does not mean any of what you have suggested is true.

Enjoy your day.

Get used to it, MPC.
This is my opinion, based on available evidence.
If you want me to present that evidence, I will be happy to do so.
(It's all circumstantial, every bit of it.)

Last edited:
I wrote a review of a show I liked. Multiple independent reviewers, some of which I posted here, did too. They, as well as I, published mostly favorable reviews for that show.

You may not be a shill, but you can come off as one. I don't know you, but you certainly seem like you work for Profiles. Maybe you should dial back the enthusiasm because it's a bit much for what the show is.

I like the show so far, but it's hardly groundbreaking TV. It's poorly scripted reality dumbed down for the masses. The crowd here obviously likes the subject matter so there's no reason to oversell it.

For example...
The show was such a success it had the highest premier ratings in 6 years of any SyFy show. So many people enjoy the show that is has been renewed for a second season.

Your website states it's the highest rated SyFy REALITY show in 6 years.
A worthy achievement, I guess. The ratings beat out the premiere of Ghost Hunters and Scare Tactics presumably.

You're sounding like Joe M. when he says every prop is the "most important find in movie history".

You may not be a shill, but you can come off as one. I don't know you, but you certainly seem like you work for Profiles. Maybe you should dial back the enthusiasm because it's a bit much for what the show is.

I like the show so far, but it's hardly groundbreaking TV. It's poorly scripted reality dumbed down for the masses. The crowd here obviously likes the subject matter so there's no reason to oversell it.

No Offense to moviepropcollector, but I feel the same way. You do portray yourself to be a shill or just bias especially since the majority of your posts for the past 3 years are regarding to PIH.

also, the websites or sources you list giving great reviews are not big name critics. I can start my own website and post a great or poor review regarding the show and it would have the same merit as the organizations you posted which isnt much.

There are two threads on this show here. I'll post this to the thread with the most views...I just watched this clip on SyFy with the President of Hollywood Treasures showing a bit of his collection. I actually remember seeing this guy on another show or something before but I can't remember which. I recall he mentioned that Forbidden Planet was his favorite and he had the original poster behind him in his office. He says the same thing in this clip. Here's the recent one on SyFy:

Syfy Video

Also, does anyone know what artwork is on the wall at around 2:37 remaining (the counter goes back)? It looks like the Star Wars poster artwork but I'm thinking it is from the old Marvel comic maybe?

As a shill for Profiles, it's your job to issue press releases and 'reviews' disguised as news and objective appraisal, isn't it? Or are you still pretending that you have no relationship with them and Joe? Can we see a show of hands from those who believe that?

And I find it fairly ironic that you're accusing your 'competitor' of doing the exact same thing you do; i.e. trying to manipulate people's opinions despite your obvious and barely disguised conflict of interest.

It is one thing to say MPC's actions are "shill-like" or that his comments make it look like he is in PiH's pocket and quite another to say he IS a shill for them. If you have proof, please post it up. Otherwise, I would caution you to tread lightly and review this part of the MGL:

Be cautious to not misrepresent or besmirch the reputation of any individual, group, site, or company.[/QUOTE

I thought I addressed the comments made by rkpeterson in my original comment. Hopefully this additional information clarifies my views, as there is no point in repeating myself. Which I will not. I must also mention that rkpeterson is a new member on a forum which deals only with original movie props. He made similar incorrect assumptions regarding myself and not one member in that thread backed him up after my response to him. Maybe he felt the need to start over here where he knows more people and has been a member for much longer. I have no idea.

Movie Prop Collectors is for those interested in that and similar subjects. Replica prop collectors are also welcome on the forum,(though theprf is the best place for that ;) ), as well as anyone else who wants to be part of a fun and interesting hobby.

I don't know you, but you certainly seem like you work for Profiles. Maybe you should dial back the enthusiasm because it's a bit much for what the show is.
For example...
Your website states it's the highest rated SyFy REALITY show in 6 years.
A worthy achievement, I guess. The ratings beat out the premiere of Ghost Hunters and Scare Tactics presumably.

That is correct you don't know me, and I don't know you.
Sorry to disappoint you, but I do not work for anyone but myself and your "example" does not support your comment. I like the show and those on it. You are free not too.

I don't see why you or anyone else would be so upset at my mentioning statistical viewer ratings that support an article about a t.v. series dealing with original movie props and artifacts. As a matter of fact the ratings for the show have steadily gone up every week and the show is watched by millions. Just this past Wed, Nov 17, the ratings for the show were their highest. 10:00/9c 1.498 million viewers, 10:30/9:30c 1.392 million viewers. Nothing to do with me trying to "manipulate" anyone's opinions, which I believe people can form on their own.

In my original response to rkpeterson I said I have met Joe, Jon, Brian, Tracey, Fong, Lou and most everyone else at Profiles while in California filming videos and covering articles. I said they are nice, hardworking people who I am friendly with. I have also met many folks who I have interviewed and write articles about. The majority of them were also nice, hard working, friendly people. People from Stan Winston Studios/Legacy Effects, Comic Con, Disney, Ray Harryhausen, etc. I wrote favorable articles about them too and do not work for them either.

the majority of your posts for the past 3 years are regarding to PIH.

The first article I wrote ever on the site was February 2010. Not 3 years ago.

There are many original content articles on the site of various subjects. Some about Profiles, some not. Including Walt Disney, Ray Harryhausen, mentions from other media, i.e. The L.A. Times, Disney, press releases, etc. There are multiple Comic Con articles, one of which mentions The Prop Store of London, theMppc, Propworx, and other businesses.There are also articles about Legacy Effects (formerly Stan Winston Studios), Star Wars Weekend, Collectors Corner, that features fellow collectors and their collections, an interview with director Joe Dante, and more. Some readers enjoy these subjects, some may not and that's fine.

Profiles has @3 original movie prop auctions per year in California. I travel to California(and other states) 7 or 8 times a year from New York to cover them as well as other subjects for the web site. I pay my own way and also bid in many auctions paying the same fees and costs that other bidders do.

also, the websites or sources you list giving great reviews are not big name critics. I can start my own web site and post a great or poor review regarding the show and it would have the same merit as the organizations you posted which isnt much

I totally disagree with you. The NY Daily News, The Hollywood Reporter, The NY Post (another publication not initially mentioned by me), and Reuters (which covered The Hollywood Reporter article) all wrote favorable articles and are large, well known publications. I also mentioned a bad review from a Boston publication I found on line that you can look up and read for yourself. I believe the "review" was less a constructive criticism and more of an attack. You may and can think otherwise.

Get used to it, MPC.
This is my opinion, based on available evidence.
If you want me to present that evidence, I will be happy to do so.
(It's all circumstantial, every bit of it.)

I have no idea what you are talking about. Everyone is free to post their opinion, but if you are presenting something as fact, you should make sure those facts are correct and be able to illustrate them before making accusations you know nothing about.

Lastly, I believe my final comment breaks this subject down to a very simple and easy to understand concept.

I, and many others who write articles, write about what we like, are told, see, hear, and experience. My experiences with many of the subjects I write about, including Profiles, have been good. If anyone else has the same or different experiences, they are free to write about them too. I do not believe however, that people should be attacked for not having the same views or experiences as, someone else. I also believe in sharing varying views and opinions, but making untrue, unsupported claims against people or businesses (especially those you do not know) is not something I believe in.

I am a shill for Ace of Cakes.

Hugs,

cccvan.gif

Last edited:
I have enjoyed the show...............my wife thinks it is like a used car lot. oh well

A used car lot...FULL OF AWESOMENESS. :cool

Considering that any such show would have to be "dumbed down" with artificial drama to have mass audience appeal, and couldn't take a "just the facts" approach and hope to stay around for more than a handful of episodes, I think it does a great job. I can't say I like the fact that it'll bring new people into the hobby for me to compete with, but then again maybe it'll convince more studios and industry sources to have organized public asset auctions, so maybe it'll even out.

In any event, I can finally explain my hobby to people without them staring at me like a lunatic. I can point to the show and say, "that's what I collect, but in a lower price bracket."

Politics aside, I have to say it was remarkably cool to see our own Bobby C. on the show! Ultimately, this is a pretty small universe and we're bound to cross paths some time or another. I have admired pics of his collection here way before it made TV! Very cool!

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back