Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Nov 2009
    Messages
    267
    Feb 3, 2011, 6:33 PM - Re: Rocketeer props from 1991 MGM studios #126

    riggerbyte said: View Post
    They had some great stuff at that back lot tour...
    you get a glimpse of them here at 37secs in

    YouTube - MGM Studio Tour 1996




    Those are all still there as of last November. And the restaurant that JayPHX is referring to in the original post is now Pizza Planet across from the Muppets 3d.
  2. RPF Premium Member tubachris85x's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2008
    From
    NOVA/Washington DC
    Messages
    4,726
    Feb 3, 2011, 8:51 PM - Re: Rocketeer props from 1991 MGM studios #127

    Just posting this link for ya'll...I posted this just after christmas last year

    http://www.therpf.com/f45/mgm-hollyw...ration-103935/
  3. JayPHX's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2010
    Messages
    110
    Sep 27, 2011, 12:51 PM - Re: Rocketeer props from 1991 MGM studios #128

    The video!!!
    I'm not sure if this is real or if I dreamed it into existence.

    The Rocketeer display at the Disney/MGM Studios summer 1991 - YouTube

    Last edited by JayPHX; Sep 27, 2011 at 6:26 PM. Reason: Link
  4. AKA Eric Beeks RPF Premium Member hdtheater's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2010
    From
    Dallas, TX
    Messages
    1,516
    Sep 27, 2011, 4:23 PM - Re: Rocketeer props from 1991 MGM studios #129

    Very Cool! I think I noticed that whoever was holding the camera did a bit of a sprint once they saw the helmets on display.

    -Eric
  5. RPF Premium Member tubachris85x's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2008
    From
    NOVA/Washington DC
    Messages
    4,726
    Sep 28, 2011, 1:21 AM - Re: Rocketeer props from 1991 MGM studios #130

    Crazy to think I was barely 3 years old during that video...
  6. JayPHX's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2010
    Messages
    110
    Sep 28, 2011, 1:26 AM - Re: Rocketeer props from 1991 MGM studios #131

    I was 10, but roaming MGM Studios by myself. Thanks Mom & Dad.
  7. Member Since
    Nov 2011
    Messages
    3
    Nov 18, 2011, 2:14 AM - Re: Rocketeer props from 1991 MGM studios #132

    I worked on the set in Santa Maria on the Rocketeer for two weeks. I got to work side by side with Joe Johnston and Ken Ralston. A friend of mine managed to get two of the foam rocketpacks that were used in the sequence where they launch the pack inside the hanger and it bounces all around. That effect was done by placing a rocketpack on a sort of zip line, shooting it into the opposite wall, tossing the resulting pieces of rocket pack and wall away, re-stringing for the bounce vector and doing it all over again. I'm not sure how many they went through, but my friend Steve and I ended up with the two best looking rocketpacks that were left. Mines missing one nozzle. They were like "stunt" packs hastily built from resin and urethane foam with urethane plastic details. I have it in the attic and its been waiting for me to have "time" to eventually create a nice looking finished piece.

    Kinda cool to own a piece of the real thing. That production was a great experience. I've got tons of BTS shots, and lots of great stories about how the pulled off al the effects in and around the airfield.

    If there's interest, I'd be happy to get it down and post some pictures of it.

    Ryan Johnson
    newrulefx.com
  8. RPF Premium Member Donnie Darko's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2003
    From
    England
    Messages
    80
    Nov 20, 2011, 7:32 AM - Re: Rocketeer props from 1991 MGM studios #133

    Dual Edge,

    Really like that concept helmet. Thanks for sharing pics.

    It really has the DNA of the original Commando Cody/ Rocket-Man of the Republic serials.

    You can see why Dave Stevens objected, the final design is just so much more aerodynamic, much more like someone with an understanding of flight would put together.
  9. Mooniteman's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2010
    From
    Los Angeles, United States
    Messages
    639
    Apr 25, 2017, 2:49 AM - Re: Rocketeer props from 1991 MGM studios #134

    newrulefx said: View Post
    I worked on the set in Santa Maria on the Rocketeer for two weeks. I got to work side by side with Joe Johnston and Ken Ralston. A friend of mine managed to get two of the foam rocketpacks that were used in the sequence where they launch the pack inside the hanger and it bounces all around. That effect was done by placing a rocketpack on a sort of zip line, shooting it into the opposite wall, tossing the resulting pieces of rocket pack and wall away, re-stringing for the bounce vector and doing it all over again. I'm not sure how many they went through, but my friend Steve and I ended up with the two best looking rocketpacks that were left. Mines missing one nozzle. They were like "stunt" packs hastily built from resin and urethane foam with urethane plastic details. I have it in the attic and its been waiting for me to have "time" to eventually create a nice looking finished piece.

    Kinda cool to own a piece of the real thing. That production was a great experience. I've got tons of BTS shots, and lots of great stories about how the pulled off al the effects in and around the airfield.

    If there's interest, I'd be happy to get it down and post some pictures of it.

    Ryan Johnson
    newrulefx.com

    OLD THREAD REVIVAL! BECAUSE HOW DID NOBODY JUMP ON THIS!!!!!!!

    YES! ... Would love to see what you have... if you still have the pack & any behind the scenes pics.
  10. doctorwholittle's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2010
    Messages
    203
    Apr 26, 2017, 6:16 AM - Re: Rocketeer props from 1991 MGM studios #135

    newrulefx said: View Post
    I worked on the set in Santa Maria on the Rocketeer for two weeks. I got to work side by side with Joe Johnston and Ken Ralston. A friend of mine managed to get two of the foam rocketpacks that were used in the sequence where they launch the pack inside the hanger and it bounces all around. That effect was done by placing a rocketpack on a sort of zip line, shooting it into the opposite wall, tossing the resulting pieces of rocket pack and wall away, re-stringing for the bounce vector and doing it all over again. I'm not sure how many they went through, but my friend Steve and I ended up with the two best looking rocketpacks that were left. Mines missing one nozzle. They were like "stunt" packs hastily built from resin and urethane foam with urethane plastic details. I have it in the attic and its been waiting for me to have "time" to eventually create a nice looking finished piece.

    Kinda cool to own a piece of the real thing. That production was a great experience. I've got tons of BTS shots, and lots of great stories about how the pulled off al the effects in and around the airfield.

    If there's interest, I'd be happy to get it down and post some pictures of it.

    Ryan Johnson
    newrulefx.com
    Please, please, please, please, PLEASE!!!

    And thank you!

    Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
  11. RPF Premium Member D48thRonin's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2003
    Messages
    571
    Apr 26, 2017, 9:51 PM - Re: Rocketeer props from 1991 MGM studios #136

    Uh, guys... if you check his profile, the last time he was on the board was Feb 26, 2014.

    So... probably crickets and tumbleweeds is what you're going to get.

    Just sayin'.
  12. Member Since
    Nov 2011
    Messages
    3
    May 9, 2017, 11:36 AM - Re: Rocketeer props from 1991 MGM studios #137

    Hey gang. I'm still around. Just crazy busy building props for shows, so I don't get much time to hang out on the forum. But I have found some of my pictures from the set, so I do plan to scan all of that and make it available online. Because of this thread, the awesome guys from the Rocketeer Minute Podcast have asked me to be on an upcoming episode so I'll be able to share a few stories from the set!

    Until then, here's a picture of the stunt rocket pack that I got. This was one of the screen used props that appears in the hangar sequence. Battle damage and some old partial attempts at rebuilding it as well, ...still visible

    Stay Tuned!

    -Ryan Johnson
    NewRuleFX.com


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rj's RocketPack.JPG 
Views:	133 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	727469
  13. RPF Premium Member D48thRonin's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2003
    Messages
    571
    May 9, 2017, 10:18 PM - Re: Rocketeer props from 1991 MGM studios #138

    Well, how 'bout that...

    Glad to be proven wrong
  14. Member Since
    May 2017
    From
    Oshkosh, WI
    Messages
    1
    May 19, 2017, 4:41 PM - Re: Rocketeer props from 1991 MGM studios #139

    newrulefx said: View Post
    Hey gang. I'm still around. Just crazy busy building props for shows, so I don't get much time to hang out on the forum. But I have found some of my pictures from the set, so I do plan to scan all of that and make it available online. Because of this thread, the awesome guys from the Rocketeer Minute Podcast have asked me to be on an upcoming episode so I'll be able to share a few stories from the set!

    Until then, here's a picture of the stunt rocket pack that I got. This was one of the screen used props that appears in the hangar sequence. Battle damage and some old partial attempts at rebuilding it as well, ...still visible

    Stay Tuned!

    -Ryan Johnson
    NewRuleFX.com


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rj's RocketPack.JPG 
Views:	133 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	727469
    Hi everyone - this is my first post, but I've been absolutely fascinated by what I've learned on this forum and in this thread in particular! My friend Jim O'Kane and I cohost "The Rocketeer Minute" and we were absolutely thrilled to record an episode with Ryan recently. We had a weird technical issue, so it ended up running a little shorter than we wanted, but we are definitely going to have him back. Big shout out to him for his time and great stories, and also to this forum for enabling us to find him!

    Best to all -

    Hal Bryan
  15. circa1964's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2017
    Messages
    36
    Oct 18, 2017, 11:12 PM - Re: Rocketeer props from 1991 MGM studios #140

    Any pics around of the prototype helmet?
  16. Evolver79's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2012
    From
    Atlanta, Ga
    Messages
    71
    Oct 20, 2017, 2:53 PM - Re: Rocketeer props from 1991 MGM studios #141

    Very cool thread, subscribed!
  17. EvilRocketeer's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2009
    Messages
    5,269
    Oct 21, 2017, 4:02 AM - Re: Rocketeer props from 1991 MGM studios #142

    circa1964 said: View Post
    Any pics around of the prototype helmet?
    I own it..my avatar is the helmet

Similar Threads

  1. HOOK (1991) - Props / Bear
    EmmaInCandyland, Replica Props
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: Nov 26, 2016, 8:11 AM
  2. MGM closes its archives.....props go to liquidators.
    The Prop Stop, Production Made Costumes and Props
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: Sep 5, 2013, 10:47 PM
  3. Replies: 10
    Last Post: Jan 30, 2011, 12:04 AM
  4. MGM/Hollywood Studios Orlando Rocketeer Props
    tubachris85x, Production Made Costumes and Props
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: Jan 3, 2011, 5:47 PM
  5. Props at Disney/MGM Orlando...
    Atarian, Star Wars Costumes and Props
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Jul 20, 2006, 8:20 PM

Tags