Star Wars decals

Dedalus5550

Sr Member
I'm working my way through all these decals on this 72nd scale FM X-wing, and I got to wondering. Why have I never seen an aftermarket set of decals for pretty much any studio scale SW subject? I'm guessing not all of the FM decals are accurate, and not all decals or markings are included in the FM kits. But there are clearly decals used on the studio models--most can be identified as from specific kits, even. When someone buys a SS kit (as opposed to building a SS model from original kits) he or she is not going to have all those original decals. I kinda get that GKers, like Salzo et al, are not decal designers/printers (as far as I know), and that's why they're not included with the kit, but why is this not a huge hole in the industry. On sheet could contain everything you need to do each X-wing, even if some of the markings have to be cut (e. g. the red stripe of the x-wing). There are some people making decals in the sci-fi modeling world, so that's not the problem. And one guy was making masks for x-wing battle damage, too. Why no mass-produced (okay, "mass" produced on the smaller scale of the sci-fi world) sets of decals? Not just the x-wing, either.
Mike Todd

Yep, sure am. They'll be waterslide decals, and should be done in the next month or so.
I'm not making decals of things that were painted on the originals - like the stripes. Just the myriad markings these models have, that were appropriated from (now very expensive or rare) off the shelf kits.

For example, take the 1/24 Airfix Harrier. I've got a newer release and a massive decal sheet. BUT it looks like they didn't quite align the separate colors properly. This effects every decal, unless its only one color. The alternative is to source an older kit (expensive) and even then there is no guarantee the decals will be useful given their exposure to time and the elements. AND you still may not have some of the decals you're looking for because what you are building came from 10 donor kits.

moffeaton takes all of this badness away. You get brand new sheets of perfectly aligned multicolor decals. No trimming around the edge of the decals either because he's got his vector files in order. I'll take three please!

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back