Blade Runner - Leon's COP Pistol

eltee

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
There has been some debate regarding the pistol Leon used to shoot Bladerunner Holden during the interrogation scene. The debate was whether the gun was silver or black. The pistol, a COP 357 mag., is usually seen in blurry photos or photos with lighting/shadow issues or reflecting the flash from the pistol firing.

I recently received a studio publicity still of Leon (Brion James) aiming but not firing. I believe it is an original still, not a repro. I have enlarged the pistol part of the image. It would appear that the pistol is a two-tone. Note that the lower receiver / trigger guard seems to be silver up to the hinge area, the rest of the pistol seems to be black.

It was written somewhere that the prop pistol was modified to fire all four barrels at once (the real one fires one at a time) for flash effect, and maybe when they were tinkering with the barrel assembly they mated a black upper to a stainless (silver) lower.

Here is a picture of my COP airsoft:

COP357.jpg

Here is a closeup of the COP from the publicity still:

TwoToneMothersHelperLR.jpg

Bear in mind that the photo hosting service I'm using limits the size (resolution) of the photo so it is not as clear as the original but I think it still shows the clean demarcation of silver to black. I realize this is not conclusive and that this photo may also be subject to lighting, shadows, resolution as well but ... this is the clearest photo I've personally seen of the screen used gun.

If the barrels part were black, why does the front of the foresight appear bright? I believe it was all silver.

Plus I thought it was made so two barrels fired simoultaneously?

SAS

Hello all.

Here is my two cents worth. After studying stills and publicity stills made on set at the time of shooting.
I have compared how brown and black look in black and white. I feel that the grips where brown.
The top two barrels fired first pull of the trigger and the second pull of the trigger fired the bottom two barrels.
I have checked with a friend who is very knowledgable about this subject he has even talk with the propmaster on the shoot. So there is my two cents worth like i said. Did you know that this gun was also used in at least 3 more production?

Bad boys
Matrix Reloaded
Battlestar Galatica ( the new one )

The silver COP pistol was used as the compact undercover/off-duty pistol in "Special Unit II". It was also used in a low budget Eric Estrada film "Twisted Justice" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100826/ . It had a piece added to the muzzle to give it one barrel and was used as a stun gun.

David.

Re: Blade Runner - Leon's COP Pistol

It was also used by Monica Bellucci as Persephone in Matrix: Reloaded to kill the vampire :thumbsup
By the way, in Blade Runner it was modified to shot with 2 barrels at a time, non all 4 :cool
My question for you gun experts now: if I acquired one, would it be legal for me to have that modification done?

@Purifier: A multi-shot firearm with a single trigger pull qualifies as a "machine gun" in most, or all, states and is probably illegal. You should check with your local authorities if you plan on purchasing a real COP .357.

Dave

Yes. LOL. I'm new on the forum and I'm trying to find this airsoft pistol! CAN'T FIND IT ANYWHERE. I'm considering buying a real one just so I can have the darn thing.

Dave

Yes. LOL. I'm new on the forum and I'm trying to find this airsoft pistol! CAN'T FIND IT ANYWHERE. I'm considering buying a real one just so I can have the darn thing.

Dave
Well I'm all for a real steel version but I've seen a few resin replicas pop up hear and there. You're right the silver COP airsoft version is nearly impossible to find without a hefty price tag.

Doesn't Rich Coyle make an all metal replica of this thing? That opens and takes dummy shells?

I saw a concept one but I thought it was a futuristic looking version based off of the COP. Heck he so talented if he didn't make one I'm sure he could!

I'm the one who did this version of the Cop.

It was based on concept sketches for Deckard's gun found in the BR sketchbook that was published in 1982. Made it from a Sidkit model with replacement barrel that came from a COP airsoft version.

Rich Coyle was supposed to do a run of his own version after mine at a certain point on propsummit but since there wasn't enough interest the whole project went into oblivion...

Oh, and I've repainted it since the pics above were first posted on propsummit, it now looks like this :

attachment.php

For those who wonder, YES, there's a led mounted in the grip...

:love

Hope it'll help clarify how and why this concept model was made...

Fred

Attachments

• cop_final_01.jpg
    cop_final_01.jpg
    347.7 KB · Views: 66,765

So, with a big "Thank you!" to Mr_Creepy about what paint to use, and to Skin Job 66 for helping me find a COP in ANY color...here is what I started with and what I ended up with...

Started: Marushin Airsoft COP 357 in Black (the photos of the black gun were taken of someone else's COP. I don't know who they are and can't give them credit as a result. If it's you, let me know and I'll post credit for the photos of the black COP. Mine got painted with the Testor's before I thought to take a "before image"):

copblack-001.jpg

marushinblack03420.jpg

And here it is after painting the handles wood-tone and the body in Stainless Steel:

01aMediumWebSILVER-L.jpg

02smallwebSILVER.jpg

03smallwebSILVER.jpg

04smallwebSILVER.jpg

05smallwebSILVER.jpg

I'm LOVING it. It's metal, heavy, bright, and I'll go make a plaque for it. w00t!!

Dave

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back