"Return of the Living Dead 2" Zombie Barrel Build (UPDATE 11-28-10) w/ VIDEO

Re: Return of the Living Dead Zombie Barrel Build (New Pic Page 3)

I originally though of installing a fog machine down in the bottom of the barrel and running a hose from the end to a spout that points out at the top of the barrel. That way when the fog machine's turned on it would shoot out at you across the top of the barrel. But I remembered that the top was cut off, so taking it off and on to mess with the it might be a pain since pushing the lid on could screw with the paint around the edges.

Well, I've finished sanding it. Getting ready to apply the base coat. I've done plenty of painting in my day, but not really any weathering. Does anyone have any good tips on how to do it for this project?

On a side note I've found an original Tarman casting thanks to a member here, and got a Fog Machine yesterday along with the piping for the top section for the smoke to shoot out of. Will post some pics a little later tonight!

Here's some progress shots I took today. I applied the base coat to the top and main body. The first picture is to show the pieces I'd assembled so far, including the window frame, and the spout at the top that's going to have to fog shoot out of it. After I get the main stuff done I'll be putting together the keypad. Looks pretty good so far :thumbsup

new1.jpg

new2.jpg

new3.jpg

Re: Return of the Living Dead Zombie Barrel Build (UPDATE 9-6-10)

Here's a new pic. Got the acrylic glass cut today, but I completely forgot to take into account a CRUCIAL measurement, so that'll have to wait till the place reopens tomorrow.

Threw the new layer of paint on too.

What's your plans for the lid? If I recall correctly, there was a lid that was covering the window that had to be lifted up to reveal the corpse inside.

The lid is something I'm still working on right now. I can't seem to find anything that's similar to the original with the exception of a snow saucer. But even the smallest I've seen is 23.5'', with the top of my barrel being an inch short of that.

This is turning out great.

What if you used a piece of plastic cut into a circle and heated it to shape it for the top?

This is turning out great.

What if you used a piece of plastic cut into a circle and heated it to shape it for the top?

If I can't find a found object, then that's probably the route that I'll end up going in the end. Got the stencil printed out, just gotta X-acto it out now.

Thanks for the comment, I think its coming along nicely. Picked up a calculator earlier for the keypad too.

Re: "Return of the Living Dead 2" Zombie Barrel Build (UPDATE 9-8-10)

This is looking amazing. Always wanted to do the top of the barrel as a wall hanging.

If anyone ends up doing a casting of the premelt zombie, count me in!

Thanks! Yeah, I've heard a few people say they wanted to do a wall bust, but haven't seen one yet. Would be cool though!

Here's some new pics! I built the panel box today, and got the stencil sprayed on. Its amazing how long it takes to cut that out with an X-acto knife. Took me nearly 2 hours!

I have to get the calculator tomorrow and rip it apart for the buttons. Shouldn't be too hard a job. I had one but it wasn't quite right so I'm gonna get a replacement. After that I just have to buy the LEDS and find some hands for Tarman, along with installing the Acrylic on the top panel.

PanelBox.jpg

StencilClose-up.jpg

IMAG0110.jpg

Re: "Return of the Living Dead 2" Zombie Barrel Build (UPDATE 9-10-10)

Wherever you display it, maybe you should have some clear, plainted, plastic leak coming out of the bottom. I have no idea what to call it, but something like fake vomit, but looking more like a toxic chemical leak.

Thanks everyone!

I've got a few ideas about the weathering, and leaks and such. I'm just trying to get everything in place before I take it to that stage. I found a keypad that's identical to the one in the movie, with the exception of the two arrow keys. My guess is that they were used for a garage door opener, which would explain the up down arrows. But after searching for about two hours online I gave up, lol. I might just go with something similar but not EXACT.

So here's my newest update on the barrel. Got the LED lights working. I chose a blue and red which you can switch on with a toggle above the red led light. Still working on the kaypad though.

Here's a picture of my friend Matt hooking up the electronics (god bless him lol) and my other friend Jeff holding the light. The next pic is of them both turned on.

MattJeffBarrel.jpg

LedLights.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back