"Captain America: The First Avenger" - first concept art! What´s the movie gonna be?

Re: First images of Captain America: The First Avenger!

Hmmm... I don't hate it. I can live with it.

But what's bugging me is the lack of wings on the headpiece (which... I guess I can live without)...

But especially how the red stripes of the torso are not actually a part of the torso itself- the red straps of the chest harness are supposed to represent them. Not digging that at all.

Kevin

Those Thor images look pretty good! Are they authentic or fan-made?

I tell you what I'd dig...

We see Thor, the Norse Thunder God hundreds of years ago clad in fur and chain mail. Looking like a super Viking.

We see Captain America, hero of the greatest generation 70 years ago dressed as souped up soldier representing America as its super soldier.

Then cut to 2010 and we see the costumes we see in this thread... they're now Superheroes, gods and heroes to the current generation, and these looks are how we, or the masses (basically) idealize them.

I tell you what I'd dig...

We see Thor, the Norse Thunder God hundreds of years ago clad in fur and chain mail. Looking like a super Viking.

We see Captain America, hero of the greatest generation 70 years ago dressed as souped up soldier representing America as its super soldier.

Then cut to 2010 and we see the costumes we see in this thread... they're now Superheroes, gods and heroes to the current generation, and these looks are how we, or the masses (basically) idealize them.

If done like that, I'd buy it.

Costumes aside (which I'm fine with), what half-wit thought it would be a great idea to cast Chris Evans as Captain America!? He's already the Human Torch!

Yeah, I don't dig the whole fur and chainmail thing. Sounds too much like what they did for Thor in the Death of the Incredible Hulk... (see pic below) But granted, it could be done a lot better than this :p

The artwork looks legit to me. It's the same exact style as the Captain America artwork and furthermore it matches the one official pic that was released.

attachment.php

Last edited:

I'm thinking less Hulk-Thor and more Brian Woods' Northlanders Thor.

Yeah, I don't dig the whole fur and chainmail thing. Sounds too much like what they did for Thor in the Death of the Incredible Hulk... (see pic below) But granted, it could be done a lot better than this :p

And bump! to the top, reopened by popular demand, with a little change in the thread title ;)

Re: "Captain America: The First Avenger" - first concept art! What´s the movie gonna

Why is Hollywood so afraid of tights for superheroes?

Re: "Captain America: The First Avenger" - first concept art! What´s the movie gonna

Because they're mostly featureless. At least by comparison to what's in the comics.

And how many times have you heard comic book superheroes described as wearing their "underwear on the outside"? I've heard it all my life. And in comics, it's been tradition to just draw characters as though they were practically naked and just wearing body paint. It works on the page but IMHO for the most part it doesn't work so great on the screen... except maybe for Superman or Spider-Man.

I think part of what most movie directors do today is to try and figure out how or why a hero would wear something for a (theoretically) practical reason rather than just to look cool.

I tend to like the more modern way of designing costumes with that sense for the practical reasons while still trying to pay homage to the original designs (i.e. Daredevil, Batman, Captain America, etc.). I think that's why I like the Ultimates style of costumes so much as with Captain America.

I thought that the costumes for the main heroes in Daredevil, the new Batman films, and the Spiderman and new Superman films worked fine. The X-men outfits mostly worked, but that team has changed costumes so many times that it's hard to even keep track anymore. I do remember posting about how they looked more like "XMen Motocross" when the first production pics leaked.

With Cap, though, to me, the wings are an integral part of the outfit. They need to be there somewhere even if purely cosmetic, even if just painted onto the headgear. Not in a Reb Brown style, necessarily, but something. I don't see why they wouldn't be able to do it.

As for the tights, I think skewing away from them mostly makes sense. Spiderman and Superman it works fine. Batman you can't even really tell. With the rest, yeah, sure, go for hardened leather or something. It makes more sense anyway, especially for heroes who aren't invulnerable.

If this is supposed to be the modern one, it's ok. I miss the wings though.

If this is supposed to be the WWII version it's a FAIL with Diamonds and Oak Leaves.

I re-post this image I posted in the costuming section of the concept art slightly reworked on Photoshop (5 minutes of work actually) that woul improve the design a bit (for my tastes at least)...
But only if this is going to be the "modern" costume...
ng8u9k.jpg

Yeah, see, honestly, that's all I'd need for the "wings" bit. That alone would do it for me. I'd prefer wings that are actually physically there, but I could accept them even if they're just painted on.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back