Rick Ross/Doppelganger Productions PKD II Kit Verification

Mercury

Sr Member
I've been wanting to add a Blade Runner PKD to my collection for some time, just never found one that was affordable and of good quality. While I've never had a Rick Ross/Doppelganger kit before, I've always heard good things and I just grabbed this kit off the bay. It's suppose to be a Rick Ross/Doppelganger Productions and the box supports that claim. Any opinions?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120514809984&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Last edited:
I have one of his original releases. From what I remember, the box art looked different. And the instructions were about 8 - 10 pages.

The pictures in the auction you posted look like the pictures from EDC Studios. If I understand my history correctly, EDC Studios bought the molds from Doppleganger. Then, maybe a year ago, Doppleganger did a re-release.

Bottom line is, it doesn't look like one of his from the first run. I'm guessing it might be an EDC Studios one.

You might check over at propsummit. They are Blade Runner fanatics and could probably answer your question for certain.

Either way, hope you enjoy the build. And post some pictures when you finish.

Ted.
Prefect42.

It is not an EDC studios version. It has Rick's old studio address on it and EDC studios didn't really do box art. He really didn't do kits much either.

I have the same kit and have talked to Rich about it. He told me he is pretty sure it is his, but can't remember molding them in the off white/tan resin. We theorized briefly that it could have been recast by Monsters in Motion which were selling his kits at the time and had a reputation for selling more than they ordered from the makers.

From the looks of the quality of the casting, and seeing that the only real bubbles in it were filled ahead of time, we finally came to the conclusion it had to be his, because it was unlikely that the recasters cared that much about his kits, and customers. He told me he at times would use extra resin from other guys that shared his studio including greyzone. So he didn't always use just his grey resins.

Great catch. It was my first BR gun replica. You got it at about what I paid for it back then too :)

Andy

Post script...the first version of the gun or PKD-1, was a different and larger gun, and was also the one Rick re-released in 2007-8. The PKD-2 is the same one Rick sold the masters and molds to EDC studios of, and since CW used Rick's photos on his website too, it would have looked like one made by EDC, but I am 100% positive it is one of Rick's.

Andy

I checked at Propsummit and I'm thinking as well it is one of Ricks kits. In one post his kits are discussed and it's mentioned that some of Ricks's PKD II kits were done in off white/tan resin. Another post also says he released those PKD II's in 2000 and didn't sell the master/molds to EDC until 2002 which would make the sellers claim that he had it for 10 years accurate. I'll know more once I get the kit but for now I'm pretty confident it's what I thought. :)

I didn't realize at 1st but I think the info I got from Propsummit was from your posts over there, Andy! :lol

There aren't too many of his PKD-2 guns around anymore, even though it sold well. They don't show up for sale much at all anymore except for the Recasts made by a fellow in Australia. Rick and I pondered the idea of visiting CW to buy back his masters. I would love to see an official reissue of this kit.

Rick's show off site of his guns...
http://pflagerkatsumata.com/

Andy

If you manage to get your hands on that PKD you won't be sorry. My Rick Ross blaster will always be very special because it introduced me to the fun world of Blade Runner props.

Its a gorgeous piece and sometimes I think aesthetically its the most beautiful blaster out of the lot - even though its not accurate...

I hope something turns up for you...

(My PKD with the Worldcon):

PKD_WC.jpg

Last edited:
AndroidAndy,

Thanks for the clarification. I'd forgotten about the grey resin but if you and Rick Ross talked it over, that settles it as far as I'm concerned.

I for one would love it if the molds could be retrieved from EDC. There's so much to say about that one but enough has been said already. Sure would be nice to get the molds back into honest hands.

And KramStaar, BEA-U-T-I-FUL picture there. Sweet build too.

Ted.
Prefect42.

I was gonna say mine is gray resin. :) I wish he would do the customs and the chess set. :(

I just got a text from Rick today, and he did say that the projects including the chess set are moving along, just slowly. The Enforcer might become a kit, but it might not be the first project set for production. I hope to hear more from him soon.

Andy

I was referring to it being "Officially" a Rick Ross kit, not "Officially" Blade Runner. Or more importantly "Officially Recast" with Rick's hand involved.

Andy

I knew what you meant and could go on and on about why I find it amusing but suffice it to say, I got a chuckle out of it.

Glad we could amuse you. Everything you have offered in this thread has been so insightful and helpful. Maybe one day you can go "on and on" for us if we are deemed lucky enough.

Glad we could amuse you. Everything you have offered in this thread has been so insightful and helpful. Maybe one day you can go "on and on" for us if we are deemed lucky enough.

I agree. Cryptic and filled with hidden meaning which serves no purpose in this thread.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back