Building a SS TIE cockpit ball

Julien,
breathtaking work, what a clean build up !
I'm a big fan of your SS projects.

HIGH-END-STUDIO-SCALE-MODELING

Andre

remember guys.. a hero tie is made up if molded and cast wing stars. ILM made one wing star master and molded it. So a hero TIE has 100% cast details on the stars.. the difference between mine and thiers is mine doesnt have all the bubbles! However I know there are some crazy building muthas here that may indeed build 4 exact part for part wing stars... cant even imagine the cost of kits for that endevour!

Steve

No no Steve, dont take that as a bad'un on your stars buddy lol. Its just how id like to do it, given the funds that is, as yep, it would be a wallet buster for sure, hence id love to go with cast part runs.
ILM's stars were indeed cast from a master, not very well though lol, but thats the charm!

lee

In defense of ILM...I guess if we were building models for an upcoming movie on a fixed budget, we would cut corners too. Budgets, deadlines and the fact that most of the models will only be on the screen for seconds (speeding past, usually) could seriously put a dent into quality.

Fantastic work MonsieurTox.

TazMan2000

No worries lee I was just sayin.... I do consider you one of those "crazy muthas" that would tackle this part for part build! Julien.. is the chief crazy mutha! He's a building machine!

Tazman.. there is no need to defend ILM. I was just pointing out how the hero wing stars were made. I have not spent the better part of 15 years doing this studio scale stuff and not have a huge respect for those artist that brought the Star Wars series to the silver screen. You are indeed correct on the reasons why ILM made the stars that way.. ive used the same reasoning to defend the cast wings on the hero kits I sell.

With that said lets get back to Julien's TIE build!

Steve

Nah nah Steve, Im not so crazy ! :D If I ever do the regular TIE Fighter (just need to find the Koolshade and the money :lol), I'll go with cast wingstars because I want them as close as the original TIE and if there are some bubbles, that's even better ! :love

Nah nah Steve, Im not so crazy ! :D If I ever do the regular TIE Fighter (just need to find the Koolshade and the money :lol), I'll go with cast wingstars because I want them as close as the original TIE and if there are some bubbles, that's even better ! :love
\
Let me cast them then i could get you some bubbles!!!:lol

Tazman.. there is no need to defend ILM. I was just pointing out how the hero wing stars were made. I have not spent the better part of 15 years doing this studio scale stuff and not have a huge respect for those artist that brought the Star Wars series to the silver screen. You are indeed correct on the reasons why ILM made the stars that way.. ive used the same reasoning to defend the cast wings on the hero kits I sell.

Steve

No offense intended, Steve...I was just being "Devil's Advocate". I have great respect for your work....and MonsieurTox's.

TazMan2000

In defense of ILM...I guess if we were building models for an upcoming movie on a fixed budget, we would cut corners too. Budgets, deadlines and the fact that most of the models will only be on the screen for seconds (speeding past, usually) could seriously put a dent into quality.

Fantastic work MonsieurTox.

TazMan2000

Brian Johnson actually considered it a sin in movie model-builders to make models any more detailed than what would show up on screen...

Brian Johnson actually considered it a sin in movie model-builders to make models any more detailed than what would show up on screen...
I can understand that completely.

When Space:1999 and Star Wars came out, there still was no Sony Betamax or VHS. If you wanted to see a movie, you had to wait for it to be playing in the theatre, or for it to be shown on TV.

And when it was on, there was no way to "stop motion" or "capture" anything, unless you took your camera to the theatre! (or took a picture of your TV screen).

They used to sell 8mm home versions, but only highlights.

But basically, what you saw in the theatre was it! If the object was moving, it was blurry. You could tell it was detailed, but you couldn't make all the details out.

The best sources of details back then were pictures in fanzines.

Thank you Speederbike :)

Ive started the canopy frame today :

TIE74.jpg

Here in place just for the pic, the outer rim is too thick I have to reduce the outer diameter. Will try to use my drill press as a lathe to do that...

TIE75.jpg

Found 2 new parts :

TIE76.jpg

Ive started the ceiling :

TIE77.jpg

Here another view of the canopy :

TIE78.jpg

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back