Sideshow Darth Vader 1:1 Bust

Hecubus114

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Didnt see it posted anywhere else... time for the accuracy experts to chime in and say if I should start saving, LOL.

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=7036

VaderLS.jpg

Last edited:
Unfortunatley "licensee" and "accuracy" never go hand in hand. Still, not bad by any means compared to the IC bust and the Rubies statue (although the statue has a better faceplate) and given the dark blurry photos and video. :angel

OK Vader Enthusiasts! I'm waiting to hear the pick-aparts on this one! A bit hard to tell from brief sight of the piece, but so far looks pretty cool! However that full shot looks like it might be a ROTS bucket? Hard to tell....

Anyway looking forward to seeing what the experts here say about this one!

For all the casual collectors (non prop collectors), this is like a holy grail item.
They will feel like they own the actual Darth Vader. :lol
I can say it looks to be light years better than it's predecessor, because the bar was set so low the last go around.

However.

If you want something even close to what was seen on screen (from a prop standpoint), this thing is far from it.

It could/should have looked like this:

esb_vader_bust1.jpg

err... I'm no expert but that sideshow bust looks way off even to my eyes..
GINO, I know you're on the sideshow bords now... time to chime in?

edit: why do I get the feeling that the sideshow ANH Vader was altered to match this thing?

I don't think they are interested in hearing all of the stuff that's wrong with it.

99% of the SW collector's market is so incredibly easy to please and have such low expectations.

My issue is always that most licensed product could be a LOT better than it is without incurring any additional production costs.

These pieces are only cool up until the point in time that their owners are able to recognize the lost potential.

Last edited:
The sad thing is if it's 1:1 then you know someone is going to cut one up and mold it and then we'll have ANOTHER inaccurate fiberglass piece of trash on ebay :(

Unfortunatley "licensee" and "accuracy" never go hand in hand. Still, not bad by any means compared to the IC bust and the Rubies statue (although the statue has a better faceplate) and given the dark blurry photos and video. :angel

Word.
Although it looks like an upscaled version of the .45 Riddell reveal. I'm just amazed that with all of the references available, this is the best that they can up with.

They could give him a handle bar mustache and it wouldn't be as big of an offense as some of the other aspects. :p

Gino-

Actually from the initial photos it does look to not seem right. That full shot of it with the starfield background... I just don't think it quite looks right.

The second this came up I saw so many posts on a couple threads to no end groveling at this and yet they haven't really seen nice detailed pix up, swearing left and right they're buying it.

I'm still not quite sold on it and will await more images before I give a definitive yes or no on it. Well... price is also a concern ;)

And Gino, clearly the accurate display on your picture would entice me to buy immediately if THAT was the true design of it. :)

Like the 1/6th figure, the most glaring change I notice right away is that the masks is perfectly symmetrical. Obviously the helmet was sculpted on a computer. It might have come from the same CGI source file the 1/6th sculpt came from. Sanitized.

Yea. I think it is actually going to be a ROTJ helmet. You can see in the reflection in his eyes the really pale looking skin which is probably ROTJ Ani. rather than ROTS Ani.

Plus the two tone paint scheme suggests it's going to be ROTJ.. I think the dome is flared too much.. but it's hard to tell from that one pic. The paint could also be more glossy (or maybe it's my screen). The cape chain by his neck is weird looking, too thick and it looks like it's made out of plastic.

in terms of internals - from the two second shot that I saw, I think the mic tips by his mouth are too big, the silver teeth in the front next to his chin are too big. (chances are the head won't be removeable so you won't be able to see any more detail) the piece of metal with all the "teeth" - I think the teeth look too big, (but i'm just basing that off of the run that someone did here recently)

what I like about it is the fact that you can see those circular pieces in the back of the facemask behind all of the vents.

Gino - i'm just going to save up to buy your stuff... if you sell it.. if not, i'll have plenty of money soon to hire someone to burglarize your house.

Well, hell.. we'll see right? I'm not an expert on vader or anything... chances are my crappy statements about the sideshow vader are because I have two reveals and i'm upset that I won't be special anymore. (not that I show anyone my collection but you guys anyways)

Didnt see it posted anywhere else... time for the accuracy experts to chime in and say if I should start saving, LOL.

Well, with anything that Sideshow produces, their prototype and final release are NEVER the same. I would suggest you wait until it's released. I'm sure it will look worse than the prototype which doesn't look very accurate.

yeah... its a pity too - the idea of this is great - the human face would be a nice reason for people who already have Vader helmets to get this as well. If it were, say, around the $500 mark I would be all over it for that reason. But a human bust with TWO removable helmet pieces... well, I'm guessing a grand or more. For that money you can get some of the best Vaders out there...

I think we're seeing the beginnings of another droids fiasco. When Sideshow did the full size R2 and 3PO, they were hugely innaccurate and ridiculously priced. You could have built your own R2 for what they wanted for a shell. This Vader bust will end up going that same way...

Sigh.

When I saw the teaser pic of it last night I was very excited. I am by no means a Vader expert but there seems to be too much flare on that dome and the lens, nose and mouth piece all look a bit funky to me.

You can definitely detect hints of Shaw in their teaser video ...

It´s definitely ROTJ. I´m interested to see the final product. If it beats the one I made, I will jump in.

But I don´t think it will. I see a lot of inaccuraties in the mask, and the head sculpt has huge strange looking holes in the skin surface, especially on the chin, that look ugly. But I also guess, the main crowd would see it as the holy grail to own. I wish they would have made a MOVIE CORRECT ESB REVEAL :lol (but I guess I´m only dreaming)

Last edited:
This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back