Tim Burton's Alice In Wonderland Costumes

I guess the Mad Hatter wasn't one of the costumes on display at SDCC? I think I'm getting more and more into this potential project.....I was just thinking about it yesterday afternoon actualy.

I guess the Mad Hatter wasn't one of the costumes on display at SDCC? I think I'm getting more and more into this potential project.....I was just thinking about it yesterday afternoon actualy.

actually, I think it was. I've seen photos on flickr. unfortunately, the exhibit had 2 tiny spotlights focused on the hat, couple with the flashes people were using amd the glass cases, most details are lost.

well it says that is a retrospective. Will be interestin gto see what they display. I would think eh Alice stuff will be represented. The SuperHero exhibit they did was amazing!

As promised here are the pants I found. Very Victorian with buttons for suspenders. Now all that needs to be done is convert them into high waters, add the embroidered flower to the front right leg, and the various lacy doilie thingies to the side of the left leg!

MadHatterPants.jpg

Has anyone else found the official website?

http://disney.go.com/disneypictures/aliceinwonderland/

Once the page loads, you'll see a good shot of the hat on your screen.

Maybe it's me, but in that photo, and some of those screen grabs, it looks more like that hat is constructed of some sort of tapestry fabric that is covered by lace. I could be completely wrong, but that is what I see anyway.

I have a Mad Hatter's hat pattern that I've been meaning to make a hat from, this might be a good project to try it out on.

i was at the movie theater last night and they had the huge posters for this. You can see the hat really well. It is made of leather with gold embroidery stitches on it and some stamping of small holes creating a pattern in it. Really cool looking!

Trying to find that leather pattern or even tooling the pattern into leather would cause anyone to go "mad" do to the "hat!":rolleyes

I think I am going to stick with a "close enough" patten.

CJS, I think they need to be more of a blue color. Looking at the screencaps they look more like a shade of navy. Those pants you posted actualy look ALOT like a pair of pants I used for my Joker. Which oddly enough, were cut off to short, and have a high water look. :lol

that hat is going to really tough. At closer inspection it may actually be fake leather or vinyl. It almost looks like they used acid to burn the design in or it might have been lazer cut. Really amazing work, but very hard to exact copy!

are his shoes a similar style to the ones the Joker wore in TDK, but in a boot cut?

*EDIT* I take that back..I just saw nickytea's album, nothing like the Joker's

Last edited:
Found some close enough shoes out of an online store in UK. 79 pounds which is expensive to go and mod but they will suffice. They still require some extra lace holes added and new laces. I think I am going to try and add the metal tips on the toes but may just use a leather piece painted weathered silver.

Started making the wire frame for the top hat. Seeing how I have never done this before I will post pics when I feel it looks good. Right now it is a piece of crappacino!! Not to scale, top hat part doesn't stand up too well, and the brim needs to be reshaped. Now how the heck will I stretch the lace over it? I don't know!!!

Note, also, that the shoes have the "Outlandish" slogan of the revolution against the red queen carved into them: "Downal Wyth Bluddy Behg Hid."

I'm just streaming conscience here....But instead of doing a make-up application for the hands, I wonder if weathering a pair of gloves would do better.....

Did anybody ID the stockings for the queen of hearts? I don't want to do the costume, but would love to find a pair of the stockings. There's a dealer on Ebay selling them, so I know they are out there somewhere...

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back