The other Jawa blaster (the one not made from an Enfield.)

Well, there is a very nice replica of this blaster up on ebay right now. It's very nicely priced too. Unfortunately, I'm broke right now. :( I would rather make my own, anyway's, but I did notice that the lister says his is 24" long. I don't know, I do recall this blaster being rather large in person, but 24" does sound more reasonable for a Jawa sized person. And, when you look at the size of the stock, grip, and other features, 24" would be more comfortable/practical for a person of any size to hold.

What does everyone else think?

I checked out the auction and while I think that the builder nailed the overall look, I also think that you could do better recreating all the details of the real deal.

Personally I don´t care if the rifle was held by a jawa or not, I´m a blaster person who likes all OT related weaponry. I´ll tackle this project some day in the future but can´t contribute much to this thread right now.

If I were you, I´d try to create a cardstock mockup of this blaster, with its size based on your best guess. Maybe try to do a size comparsion based on the gaffi stick shown in one pic!?

I´m keen on seeing what you come up with!

Markus

After almost a year, I finally got back to that project recently. I made a template of the stock, in photoshop, a wile back. And after looking at all the reference I could get on it, I decised to scall the gun at 24" over all. I lucked out over the summer, wall cleaning out a shed for my Girlfriend, I found a very, dirty, old block, of pine, that she let me have for doing the work for her. :) (she also let me have the block I cut the vibro axe blade out of. :) ) A few weeks ago, I cut the template out of the wood, and got to work sanding, and shaping it and this is where it's at right now. :)

stock1.jpg

stock2.jpg

I was afraid the 24" over all measurement was going to be way off, but now that I've cut out the wood, and sanded it into shape, it fits my hand perfectly. I still need to do a tine bit of fine tuning, here and there, and I need to do all the drilling, and what not for the hardware, but over all, I am very happy with the stock. I have something I think will work for the cone, so I'm mostly working on figuring out the rest of the hardware.

Here's the Template I made, and used. (It should be the right size as is, but if not, it should print at around 7" across, and a little under 11" long. it will fight on a single piece of paper, if you set your printer to ignore the boarders, and print to the very edge. )

24inchstokpritable.jpg

Oh, and the block of wood I used for the stock was 1.5" thick to start with. Witch may sound quite thick for a stock ,but the part where you hold is, and every thing behind that part is thinner then that. I just cut the shape out of the black as it was, and took quite a bit off of each side, in the grip area, and back end, by hand. It was a bit of work, but once you get it all curved, rounded off, and smoothed out, it really does fight my hand quite nicely.

I went with pine, 1 because it's what I had, 2 because it was very quick, and easier then hard wood to work with, and since it was just for my jawa, I didn't think it would hurt. (plus I may cast it up down the rode, and it really should mater what it's made of then.) However, if your going to get technically, most real stocks are made of hard wood, but that cost more, and is harder/slower to work with by hand, but will have a nicer grain, and take the stain quite well. Since the real prop doesn't seem to have much grain showing, I wasn't that worried about it on mine, infact I may just prime, and paint it brown, and cover up the grain (or most of it) all together. (though it is kind of nice that it is made of real wood, so I don't know for sure what I'm doing yet.)

I hope to update the threads soon, with more info, but I don't know when that will be fore sure.

Jason

That looks great so far!

This blaster is on my -open end- list for future projects so I´m curious to see what you come up with.

I didn´t do my homework but I´m a bit unsure about the 24" overall length. I totally agree, that we´d need at least ONE good pic with anything to scale it in relation to. It´d need to be a tad bigger than 24" IMHO

Do we have a good frontal pic of the Jawa/ blaster setup?
Maybe we could use the ammo-pouches for scaling?

How do you plan to do the "receiver"?
Having it machined or planning to scratchbuild it?

Markus :)

That looks great so far!

This blaster is on my -open end- list for future projects so I´m curious to see what you come up with.

I didn´t do my homework but I´m a bit unsure about the 24" overall length. I totally agree, that we´d need at least ONE good pic with anything to scale it in relation to. It´d need to be a tad bigger than 24" IMHO

Do we have a good frontal pic of the Jawa/ blaster setup?
Maybe we could use the ammo-pouches for scaling?

How do you plan to do the "receiver"?
Having it machined or planning to scratchbuild it?

Markus :)

I though that the 24" seemed a little small too, but as I mentioned in my last post, it fights my hand very well. I'm 6' 3" and have large hands, so if it fights my hands well now, then it is already pretty large, too much larger, then it would be almost impossible for a little person to hold. Plus, keep in mind all the pics posted in this thread of it with a Jawa, are from exhibits, that use a very undersized manikin for the Jawa. (you can tell by the fact that the Jawas robes are in a pile on the floor, at the Jawas feet, because the manikin is way too short. )

Here is a pic that was recently posted in another thread. (I was very excited because it is the only pic I have ever seen of a Jawa holding this blaster. Though I have never seen that detain in the barrel before.)

22222222222654654855.jpg

As for the receiver... I'm not sure. I was going to used different sized pieces of PVC pipe, cut down, but if I do that I have no idea how I would do the ring of diamond knurling on the rear cap part. I'm far to cheap to take it to a Machine shop (and I don't even know where one is here in Columbus) , and I don't do that sort of work myself. Right now my plain is to do one of two things. 1. look for something that size that has that sort of knurl. (flashlight hed, small thermos, etc. etc.) 2. I have a trick that sometime work. You smear a layer of bondo on the surface of the part (as even as you can get it.) Then take a piece of mesh (preferably metal) with a diamond pattern as close to the right scale as possible, spray it lightly whit something like "stoner" or another non-stick spray, and quickly rape it around the item (on top of the wet bondo.) and let it set up. The non-stick release agent will allow the mesh to come free of the bondo, fairly easily, after it sets up, and will leave a diamond pattern that wall not perfect, might be ok for something I just plan on displaying in my apartment. :)

I took some of the pictures to a military collectors show a few months back. Several collectors looked at the pictures and everyone seemsd to agree that this is a Line Launcher of some sorts,used from ship to ship.But none of them could identify the maker .

I'm never, ever right about this kind of thing, but in the interest of keeping the mental juices flowing: the knurled cylindrical peice at the end of the barrell looks like a camera lens.

The piece inside the barrell with the holes looks like an old rotary phone dial.

Good idea, but it has only 9 holes while a rotary dial has at least 10 IIRC.
Otherwise this would have been perfect to determine the overall scale of this puppy.

Markus

I'm never, ever right about this kind of thing, but in the interest of keeping the mental juices flowing: the knurled cylindrical peice at the end of the barrell looks like a camera lens.

That's brilliant. I'm a photographer, how did I miss that. :lol In fact I have some manual focus lenses for my old Nikon FE. There great old lenses, and I would hate to destroy them, but then again, on of them came from a yard sale, and I paid less then $10. for it. :) Plus, I may be able to cast it, and that way I wouldn't have to destroy the lens at all. :)

Oh, and as far as the scale goes. I'm fairly happy with the 24" scale, for me. It really does fit my hand well, but I am not saying that it is 100% correct. (I'm also not saying that is't not correct. ) I'm just saying I took a chance on it, and it's working for me. That, and I'm far to lazy to remake the stock, just to make it a tiny bit bigger. (and have it no longer fight my hand, or my jawa. )

That's brilliant. I'm a photographer, how did I miss that. :lol In fact I have some manual focus lenses for my old Nikon FE. There great old lenses, and I would hate to destroy them, but then again, on of them came from a yard sale, and I paid less then $10. for it. :) Plus, I may be able to cast it, and that way I wouldn't have to destroy the lens at all. :)

Oh, and as far as the scale goes. I'm fairly happy with the 24" scale, for me. It really does fit my hand well, but I am not saying that it is 100% correct. (I'm also not saying that is't not correct. ) I'm just saying I took a chance on it, and it's working for me. That, and I'm far to lazy to remake the stock, just to make it a tiny bit bigger. (and have it no longer fight my hand, or my jawa. )

Glad to have helped :thumbsup

Ok, here are the super large, super hi-res shots I have of this blaster, taken at the Boston Museim of Science. I wouldn't put too much stock in the sign next to the prop as a lot of them were flat out wrong. And if it was in TPM, it looks like they may have dug out the original from ANH, anyway.

We tried contacting the manufacturer once and even they couldn't identify the piece. But, you're more than welcome to try :cool

jawablaster1.jpg

jawablaster2.jpg

jawablaster3.jpg

jawablaster4.jpg

jawablaster5A.jpg

jawablaster5b.jpg

jawablaster7A.jpg

-Fred

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back