32 inch ESB Millennium Falcon

It's hard to see the detail cause of the yellow color,but looks like the top of a car battery...like 1/32,or smaller...maybe 1/43?Might also be something from a 1/72,or 1/48 tank kit..I've seen similar parts like that,but cant remember what they are called/referred to.Im not sure to be honest,I'd really have to look carefully through all the kits I have to make a really good effort at identifying it...

The next trick is finding out where else it goes on the model.

And because you need so MANY of these kits....do you tell eveyone what the part is..so that the kits become even scarcer?

think you know the answer to that one???

What if its a really Rare kit...

Now what do you do?

Maybe now some of ya might understand some poeple just dont publish all that they know as they discover it.

Or...maybe not.

Thats an interesting question to pose...and a tough one to answer.If it were me...I'd have to research & see how tough it is to find a particular kit.If it was really that hard....I would have 1 of 2 choices..I could keep it to myself...or could share the information.Personally,I would share the information...cause then...someone might be able to offer help to me..well whatever may be required if both are working on the same/similar subject(s),be it kit parts,castings,identifying parts,building/construction techniques,reference information ect,ect.If the part were really that scarce,I would cast coppies...cause its not worth waiting around for another to come in ebay,or an add in a model magazine or whichever.I would cast copies of it..as many as I could...and make them available to people who need them for similar projects.Maybe this is'nt the best way,or right way of doing things..I dont know,but it is my way.If I do something to help someone,perhaps when I need it...someone will help me,maybe this is an unrealistic approach...but I think there would be less tension...we are all on the same team here for the most part...everyone has different ways&ideas of doing things...but I like to share information&knowlege to whomever it may interest,and in the process....I get to learn new ways of doing things,consider new ideas...and integrate those things into my project,so that it may become easier&in return.....make that available to others who want it.

Thats very noble.
Not saying you are right...or wrong. Its an honest answer.
In fact..I felt the same way....once.

But..share with WHO?
One person? two? Where is the line drawn? and...How many people does it take to dive a price up on ebay? or sell out of whatever Stock ONLINE COMPANY X 's inventory....
and other Major sources of models...

Another builder who has a HUUGE project that will remain nameless has the SAME conversation with me..that you and I are having.
Its strange in a way....how I know have his position.

Anyhow....
Any idea...how may people write asking for the info?
Can you venture to GUESS how many DIFFEReNT people write me..asking me for info on models especially..the falcon.

Average: 2 per week.

Do you think Ill chance having those people chasing the same kit?

I dont expect anyone to agree..or disagree. Im not even saying I REALLY feel this way....its just thoughts to ponder.

I agree with several things Frank brings up. Also I got sand bagged on a Tamiya Tiger kit today by some guy rolling auction up on me. I still won it but kinda peeved me.

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the board but I have to tell you it's been fascinating reading over the months I've been lurking. Anyway, I, like many a newbie am embarking on the journey and want to thank all the posters for their information and help. I have a question, since the porsche transmissions are so hard to come by, and since no one has offered castings of them as yet (got to be a cottage industry in there somewhere), I was wondering if anyone might be able to post pictures of them to aid scratch-building. You know straight down top, side, left, right views that sort of thing. I have a few decent closeups at fairly high res but there's nothing like elevations to get it straight. Anyway, thanks and I hope I can add to the discourse eventually.

Thanks
Bill

Welcome Bill!Look at Tim Ketzers website of his studio Falcon...great pictures&reference material,as well as tips on there.In the future,I may offer castings of the very expennssive,elusive 1/8 scale Entex 935 Turbo Porsche Transmission,I am still paying for mine..the kit is that expennssive...between $500.00 "if yur lucky" on up to $1,000 if someone has the kit and really wants to screw with you.
Ive thought about making castings...even with the recent discussions in here on offering kits,parts&info to people who just want it.I understand much of what Frank&others are talking about.Its a frustraiting thing,but the Porsche transmission is much the rosetta stone of the 32" Falcon.It is probably one of the few parts on the Falcon that is recognizable that "most" people who have studied/looked over Falcon pictures aside from a few of the other 1/72&1/35 military armor parts can identify.
Depending on requests,I thought I would offer it to those who dont want to wait 1-2 years before they find the kit&spend the huge $$$ because it is so very difficult to find.It may be a few more months before I acquire my Entex Porsche kit....cause it is costing me an arm&a leg literally.The nice thing about that kit is....a few other parts can be employed if you intend on doing more than just 1 Star Wars project,but there is only one vehical I can think of that used those part(s).
Anyway,I am still trying to make good prints to go off of for my Falcon...and at this point..between working full time&school..I have little time to offer to my project(which sucks)so I have mainly been starring at pictures&acquiring the many Tamiya,Hasegawa,airfix(&other odd kits) used for kit bashing..there are so many its mind boggling.So again...welcome aboard-John

Just thought I’d put in my .02 now that I’ve started working on one of these as an excuse to get my feet wet before tackling the 5 footer. Frank and Morten, I really admire you guys for having the patience and desire to track down all, or as many, of the actual kit parts used on the Falcon and I understand the reluctance to give up info on certain parts. I’ve found a big chunk of the parts just from what kits I’ve been collecting over the years, so if a small part, like the one above, is from a rare kit that I don’t have, oh well. If I find it, I find it. If I don’t, then I’ll just find something close. Call me diplomatic. I’d almost rather not ask about something for fear of stepping on some toes. So, my Falcon might not pass the 100% accurate test from the Forum, but everyone on the “outside” will hopefully see an impressive looking model.

John, looks like we’re both at about the same point in construction of this little project. I agree that the Porsche tramsmission is a key “Rosetta Stone”. Thankfully there are other (and less expensive) parts that have been helping me draw up plans.

Dan

Well the big question is; how many kits do you all think is going make the Falcon OR how few?
10, 20 or 100?
I don't think that the ILM guys only used one part from each kit, no they used a lot from the same.
So, if you find the right ones you can actually build a pretty accurate model.

Has anybody found the part from for the Docking ring yet?

It's nice to hear that some of you has begun building this one - post a picture and let us all see!

Yes! I admit it, Frank. I’m building a Falcon. Guess you’ve “outed” me.
icon_smile.gif

Now, about that docking port part. . . Easy or difficult, that is the question. Guess IÂ’ll have to pull down some of my kits tonight and see what I can see.

Dan

BrundelFly asked me to introduce myself so here goes. By day I'm a father of 2 little girls (who love Daddy's ships!) and a technical director at Pixar Animation Studios. I've worked there since 1994, with my biggest claim to fame being that I was Supervising Technical Director of For The Birds, our short film that was at the head of Monsters Inc last year.

I've been building models all my life, starting with cardboard tin foil and masking tape Enterprises and Flying Subs. When Star Wars came out I was so impatient for models that I built my own Xwing and Tie fighters out of balsa wood. I'm kind of proud that my first star wars models were scratch-built.

Over the years I've amassed quite a collection of kits, some of which I've actually built. I've always heavily modified my models to make them accurate, but haven't really scratchbuilt anything since those early days. Reading these pages has inspired me to go for it, and the Falcon seems like the ship to start with, although the Ywing is a close second. I have visited Tim Ketzer and Moes sites, and they are treasure troves. I'm always looking for new reference. I've begun the armor kit collecting and done the usual surfing to see what kits are still available. I'm also working in Illustrator to draw my plans and pouring over the Chronicles and LucaFilms Archives books as are many of you.

JPolacchi, if you start taking orders for castings of the Entex trans let me know. I'd love to help defray the cost a little for you.
icon_smile.gif

No worries,but as i said before,I'm still paying for mine..it cost me $800.00 for the 1/8 Entex Porsche kit...holy S@#@!*^?$#@!I'm sure with castings I can provide the part(s) for much less than that.My big handicap besides identifying kit parts on the ILM Falcon(I have identified some,but not all)are drawing blue prints.Im just not a very good draftsman.I am struggling like hell and also not having the time to work on it is frustraiting too.I've got too many irons in the fire as they say.Hopefully by summer I'll have time to work on it&get some things done&make some progress.Anyways,welcome aboard..I'm sure your experience will add to the mix in here&be welcomed as well.Anyway...its past my betime....ttfn(ta ta for now)-John

Hi Folks,

I have found a person that I believe is willing to make me some castings of the Entex Porsche transmission parts. However he is asking me if I know the part numbers that I need. Obviously not having the kit or it's instructions I can't tell him this. Does anyone have those part numbers handy? Is is just the 2 halves, apparently parts B-6 and B-7, or do I also need the front and back, parts B-16 and B-8? Are there any other parts from this kit that are required? Any help would be much appreciated.

If this doesn't work out I have found a kit online but as expected it is quite expensive, almost $1000.As a fallback I was wondering if anyone on this board would be interested in splitting the cost of this kit and then we could all have castings from it. Obviously the more of us that joined forces on this the cheaper the per casting price would be. What do you all think?

Bill

Think 20 lashes will do??? J/K
icon_wink.gif

I think that idea has been brought up before (X-Wing thread I beleive) but it never came to fruition when Captain Cardboard came out with a completed resin kit of that subject.

This may be a doable thing if you get enough interested party's involved.

Rolando

Bill,
Welcome aboard! Very nice introduction I might add. Look forward to hearing about your future endeavors into this crazy hobby.

C17LM, I don't know why you would get a lashing for an idea. A good one at that.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back