HALO Master Chief Costume Progress Thread (helmet rebuild begins on p.19)

Re: HALOween 2008 Master Chief Costume Progress

For the last time it's NOT Light Red.......IT'S PINK.....:lol

TK 648

No, it's a new color... It's light red.

After viewing all of your pictures, I know that you know what you are doing
but I have to say, that i hope that you are not waiting too long before pouring in the next coat of resin as the next coat will not bond with the first if the first coat cures to long and the surface is not sticky or tacky.

TK648

Yeah, I'm on top of it. The resin I'm using is pretty forgiving, but I'm doing hot layers all the same. Basically, I start mixing the next batch of resin just as soon as the previous layer starts to gel in the mold. I've had no problems with the resin delaminating so far.

what size paper did you print this out on? I cant get it to line up right to print length wise on the paper just width wise

I did this on letter-sized card stock, but the program's default settings are for A4-sized paper. You need to adjust your print settings and rearrange the parts to fit onto the different size paper.

What kinds of customizations are you doing on the inside of the helmet?

I'll be padding the insides using a custom bit of upholstery that I haven't designed just yet. In addition, each of the folks that I'll be dressing for Halloween will have a slightly different rig with all sorts of bells and whistles.

My own personal helmet will have the four LED headlights, an amplifier, cooling fans (ducted to blow fresh air on the inside of the visor for de-fogging), a rear-view camera system, and (if time allows) a removable two-way radio system. Tex will have a voice changer as well as a lot of the aforementioned goodies. There's more, but I can't think of it all just yet.

I'll post more info on all of this as I make progress in this thread. I'm sure folks will want to know how I made the rear-view thing work.

Good God man, that is a lot of stuff in that helmet. Must be purty sizeable.

It is. Here's a poorly focused scaling shot of one of the castings sitting on top of a 5-gallon paint bucket:

Shoppics012.jpg

How do you plan on doing the rear-view camera system?

Fantastic work, by the way.:cool

How do you plan on doing the rear-view camera system?

The camera itself will be a pinhole reversing camera that will look through a discreetly drilled hole in one of the gaps in the back of the helmet. That's the easy part.

The display is the hard part. I plan on using and idea I found at this URL http://jakeofalltrades.wordpress.com/2007/09/30/25-head-mounted-display/ So far it looks like it'll work. My electronics experts assure me that I'll be able to run everything in the helmet on 9 volts, so we'll see how that goes.

Stay tuned.

Paper cuts ahoy! Wow that is going to look fantastic....

If it weren't going to be PINK.

do you know how many surfaces there is on the pepakura helmet model?

thanks for the tips btw...

His first post has a pic that lists 893 facets, 789 vertices and 1 shiny bucket.:p

Thanks for pointing that out.

Today's progress pics:
PEPmodelTorso005.jpg

PEPmodelTorso004.jpg

I don't know why it matters, but the chest armor 3d model had 1,635 facets and 1,406 vertices. It was built to a height of 42cm.

Next steps: paper models of the boots and reinforcing/fairing the torso.
Stay tuned.

Thor, its hard to find words for your work that haven't already been used in the myriad of threads you have created over the time I have been here.

Your work is top-notch and a beauty to behold.

Truly amazing stuff and I wish I was made of money so I could buy it all.

Great work. Ive been watching the progress and its inspired me to get into the pepakura. Im woring on my third piece now.
Keep up the great work!

Well, you can't really type a whistle. That is going to look amazing. What other things can you do with pepakura? Oh, and what's with the trooper bucket in the background of that pic?

Holy Crap!!! :confused

That thing is friggin' awesome! I just saw this thread for the first time. OMG!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back