HALO Master Chief Costume Progress Thread (helmet rebuild begins on p.19)

Re: HALOween 2008 costume started.

Please tell me this is not as easy as you are making it look. Good God man, this thing looks incredible.

Good, because I was gonna take my know-nothing-about-molding/casting a$$ and try it. I may still, because what the hell, the only way I learn things is by doing them, falling on my face and fixing the mistakes which made me fall on my face and trying again. Still cool to see the process and I look forward to more pics.

Save money and your face and grab yourself a copy of the Prop Maker's Molding and Casting Handbook by Thurston James. You'll thank me.

Either that or you'll end up embarking on a long and painful/expensive new journey that will serve to alienate your family and friends and eventually cause some horrific health problem brought about by exposure to all sorts of fun and exciting new chemicals. In that case, you probably won't thank me.

You could save yourself all sorts of problems and just wait until I'm selling copies of my own armor. I'm even making the rest of the parts in a variety of sizes. You've far less to lose that way. :)

Save money and your face and grab yourself a copy of the Prop Maker's Molding and Casting Handbook by Thurston James. You'll thank me.

Either that or you'll end up embarking on a long and painful/expensive new journey that will serve to alienate your family and friends and eventually cause some horrific health problem brought about by exposure to all sorts of fun and exciting new chemicals. In that case, you probably won't thank me.

You could save yourself all sorts of problems and just wait until I'm selling copies of my own armor. I'm even making the rest of the parts in a variety of sizes. You've far less to lose that way. :)
I've read that book. Love it. I won't start with something THAT large. It is an ambitious undertaking. My first expense was already earmarked to go to 3M. :D

Good, because I was gonna take my know-nothing-about-molding/casting a$$ and try it. I may still, because what the hell, the only way I learn things is by doing them, falling on my face and fixing the mistakes which made me fall on my face and trying again. Still cool to see the process and I look forward to more pics.

I like to use smooth-on products they have a
great line products including safe to use on the skin
silicones for making face castings, and they sell small
test kits so you can try a product to see if you can use it
before you buy a large amount

www.smoothon.com

They even have how to videos on You-Yube
there is a link on their web site

TK648

Great work!!!

I wish I had a shop to work into .. right now, I have a table in a room in my condo .. there's no way I can get away with chemicals and stuff in there.

Bookmarking this thread for future updates! Can't wait and again, awesome work you're doing .. keep detailing it :)

I just realized that I forgot to mention this other part.

Bootsizetester001.jpg

This is the low-res model for the right boot to verify the size.

The final version will be built in high resolution with a slip-on shoe inside, custom rubber soles, and the molds will be size-able to make a variety of different sized boots. This will make it easier to accomodate the variety of sized people that I'm outfitting this year.

Bring on the craziness.

Re: HALOween 2008 Master Chief Costume Progress

Success!

The first casting came out of the mold last night:

FirstCast003.jpg

Here's a shot of it with the master:

FirstCast010.jpg

And here's some more shots of the casting itself:

FirstCast006.jpg

FirstCast013.jpg

FirstCast011.jpg

FirstCast005.jpg

If anyone wants a copy, I've got a Junkyard thread going. Meanwhile, I've got a lot more casting to do...

Fatastic work!
So which one of you is gonna be Donut? hehehe

I've always wanted some Grif Armor as he's my fav on the show

I'm really stunned at how easy you make this look.
Great work mate

and props for living on a sail boat..way cool!

Fatastic work!
So which one of you is gonna be Donut? hehehe

It's starting to look like I'm the only guy in the group who is secure enough in my masculinity to wear the "light red" armor.

My girlfriend is going as Tex though, so I was thinking Donut doesn't make much sense for me. Either way, I'm really looking forward to doing a small batch of armor with different hotrod paintjobs. The pink and purple ones will just be fun.

just out of interest: what did you do on the inside of the helmet, did you put a load of silicone in there as well?

never been able to work out how to get the helmet out a constant/correct thickness all over....

*sigh* My holy grail and I cannot afford it. Buying a house has put a serious cramp in my frivolous spending.

just out of interest: what did you do on the inside of the helmet, did you put a load of silicone in there as well?

never been able to work out how to get the helmet out a constant/correct thickness all over....

These are roto-cast or "slush cast." I pour a few ounces of liquid resin in the hollow mold and roll it around to get an even coating over the inside of the mold. Then, when the first layer is cured, I pour a few more ounces in and repeat. Then I repeat these steps until adequate thickness is built up to make the helmet good and strong. Once that's done, it's just a question of unbolting the mother mold, peeling off the glove mold, and cleaning up the casting.

The resin isn't a perfectly constant thickness this way, but as long as it's at least thick enough I don't mind too much.

what size paper did you print this out on? I cant get it to line up right to print length wise on the paper just width wise

For the last time it's NOT Light Red.......IT'S PINK.....:lol

TK 648

It's starting to look like I'm the only guy in the group who is secure enough in my masculinity to wear the "light red" armor.

My girlfriend is going as Tex though, so I was thinking Donut doesn't make much sense for me. Either way, I'm really looking forward to doing a small batch of armor with different hotrod paintjobs. The pink and purple ones will just be fun.

After viewing all of your pictures, I know that you know what you are doing
but I have to say, that i hope that you are not waiting too long before pouring in the next coat of resin as the next coat will not bond with the first if the first coat cures to long and the surface is not sticky or tacky.

TK648

These are roto-cast or "slush cast." I pour a few ounces of liquid resin in the hollow mold and roll it around to get an even coating over the inside of the mold. Then, when the first layer is cured, I pour a few more ounces in and repeat. Then I repeat these steps until adequate thickness is built up to make the helmet good and strong. Once that's done, it's just a question of unbolting the mother mold, peeling off the glove mold, and cleaning up the casting.

The resin isn't a perfectly constant thickness this way, but as long as it's at least thick enough I don't mind too much.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back