Star Trek: Into Darkness 'Cold Fusion Device' Prop Build

Lycaon

Being the procrastinator that I am, I've taken a short hiatus from the other builds I'm working on and started modelling the 'Cold Fusion Device' from Star Trek: Into Darkness.
After watching the film back in 2013 this specific prop peaked my interest, but it wasn't until the Prop Store auction last year that I could finally find enough reference images to be comfortable with starting.

If anyone has any other images, measurements, builds that they've worked on or any advice for me - I would be more than grateful as I am still very new to this forum and prop-building in general.

Here is a couple of images that I'm using. (All creds go to Paramount and the Prop Store as that is where I got them from).
img01-1.jpgCold_fusion_device.jpgimg04-1.jpgimg04.jpgimg10.jpg

Just started to model everything in Fusion360.
Screen Shot 2018-11-10 at 11.12.43 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-11-10 at 11.13.06 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-11-10 at 11.14.06 PM.png
I'm curious if anyone knows whether the case was scratch-built or if it's a found part.

I dont think the writers really understood what cold fusion was when they concepted this idea :p However yeah the prop was interesting and looking forward to see your build... :D CAD work looks good so far :D

I dont think the writers really understood what cold fusion was when they concepted this idea :p However yeah the prop was interesting and looking forward to see your build... :D CAD work looks good so far :D
True, I completely agree. I read somewhere that the idea was because the reaction is endothermic, the device would 'suck' all the heat from the lava making it inert. It sounds completely ridiculous when saying it out loud; they probably should have renamed it, but the prop looks great though.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back