Jumanji <> The Brantford 1 mile stone - WIP

Jintosh

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
IMG_6502-650.jpgNCR31_107.jpgth050mar.jpg180px-Milestone_Batemans_Bay_NSW_18.jpg

IMG_1436.JPG

The first 4 pictures are Mile stones from around the U.S. The last picture, of course, is the close up of the Brantford stone from Jumanji.
The screen shot is from the angle of the smallest boy from 1869 when they are burying the chest. The movie shows them driving away in their wagon and then the camera pans over and shows the top of the stone. It does not pan down, so this is actually a tall stone and they are only showing the top of it. I plan to make a replica of this in the next 2 weeks, and I will detail what items I purchase, and how I make this stone.

1st up, I've ordered a custom cut piece of Styrofoam 12x12x48 to use as the core of my replica (think EXPENSIVE). I also got a hot wire foam cutter from Michaels to cut the foam with.

Now the tough part, waiting for my foam piece to arrive. ;)

IMG_6502-650.jpg

NCR31_107.jpg

th050mar.jpg

180px-Milestone_Batemans_Bay_NSW_18.jpg

IMG_1436.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
IMG_1444.JPG

Wisely, I bought some blocks to practice cutting with. I carved this one to the shape of the top of the Brantford stone.
I will also be able to practice cutting in the lettering. The doesn't have to be cut perfectly, since it'll be covered in outdoor thin set mortar when I'm done.

I actually used a fine hacksaw blade. I used just the blade without the handle. It did okay, but maybe I should just get a longer foam cutting hot knife.

IMG_1446.JPG

The material I added for texture is way to chunky. I may just go with sand for texture for the next test piece.
The mortar I used is perfect. Here it is :

Home depot item number # 399727
Custom Versabond gray
50 lb fortified thin set mortar.

This particular mortar already has polymer added to the mix. The polymer is similar to adding BOOST to your material.
This worked flawlessly and stuck to the styrofoam easily.

IMG_1448.JPG

Much better ! I narrowed the lettering, used medium coarse sand and used my hot wire cutter instead of the hacksaw blade to cut the foam.
I'm happy with this, I think I can go full scale now.

my stone.jpg

-UPDATE 7/20/18-

I finally got some time to work on this. I did the carving, got some different (more size consistent) sand and put 1 layer of mortar on the stone.
I plan to add a second layer, but here's the picture with one layer.

Last edited:
Funny that I just saw this thread. This stone was mentioned when I travelled to North Berwick Maine a few years back to pick up the sign used at the construction site in the film. The guy I bought the sign from told me of someone else in the town who took the stone home after production had wrapped. The only things that had been given away were the sign that I have, the stone, and a Parrish Shoes sign that was hanging up in the factory. I tried to contact the person with the stone but no luck.

Funny that I just saw this thread. This stone was mentioned when I travelled to North Berwick Maine a few years back to pick up the sign used at the construction site in the film. The guy I bought the sign from told me of someone else in the town who took the stone home after production had wrapped. The only things that had been given away were the sign that I have, the stone, and a Parrish Shoes sign that was hanging up in the factory. I tried to contact the person with the stone but no luck.

Considering that only part of the stone is visible, I think I made a fairly realistic replica. By studying other similar stones, I think the height is at least close. I would have loved to see the actual stone, though. Too bad it's location is unknown. :confused:

That's such a unique piece to make haha, loving it!

Thank you !

Yes, it's sitting in a shed now. Since it's totally covered in actual Mortar, it could go outside somewhere if I wanted.
It's also a cool technique to carve from Styrofoam and cover in mortar to make it solid.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back