Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm (after 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm?

You may see it as Luke being tempted by the Dark Side, I saw it as just a cheap way to show an imperfect Luke. Whatever works for you.

Not as worn out as # in anything.

It's really clear. Yoda says in TPM that the path to the Dark Side is fear, fear leads anger, anger to hatred, hatred to suffering. Watch Luke's face in that scene, fear, anger, hatred. The Dark Side is at work in Luke.

Go back to '03 and look forward and try to find anyone who defended Anakin's fall or killing the kids in the temple. There weren't any. The whole fall, while we all knew it had to happen, was handled just terribly.

That said, we were never given 30 years of hero Anakin of which we were told nothing before he fell either. And it was a single character.

Sure, inflated expectations are a bit to blame - but 30 years down the road and all they can do to ANY of the OT characters is trash them. Everyone essentially regressed to the same point they were in when ANH started - or worse.

Han and Leia - we see nothing happy of the marriage. We're brought to divorced, Don't talk much, no one believes leia except a tiny band of resistance, han gave up and was doing lame smuggling. What we are told that happened to them positively the last 30 years? Nothing. Presumably they were married and had a kid. All we know really is, they had a kid who gave them both the middle finger and turned evil.

R2/3po - relegated to largely gathering dust in a corner.

Luke - quit on the galaxy, hid in the middle of nowhere, and gave up on the galaxy, his family, the jedi, etc, because a student turned evil. Never mind the fact he was the only one in the galaxy capable of facing that nephew. "I quit, let the evil win'.

Seems like Chewie was the only one not screwed over because he got a stronger blaster. Though he did have to go back to being a lame smuggler. He was honoring his debt so, the bad luck wasn't so much on him. However, when Han dies, someone he doesn't get the Falcon, it goes to the abandoned girl they've known a couple days who's not really connected to anyone, so, i guess they screwed him over too.

And before anyone jumps in about the books - that's a fail of logic quite frankly. A very small percentage of people who watch these movies are even aware of them, let alone read them. So, it's really not logical to say they all had lots of positive exploits, just read the books. Maybe 10% of the ticket buy crowd were in a group that read them. And that's being generous i think.

Lucas didn't tell anyone to read multiple books and comics before ANH premiered to get up on the story. The ST should not required the same thing either. Not even close. There were plenty of ways to respect what came before and make a set of new characters carry the day - they elected to stomp on it and set up the new ones on the ashes of the old ones. It wouldn't have been hard in the least to have treated them much better and pushed them into positions of power, retired, or died in the past. But no, had to go the belittling route.

That's where the break comes in, and where a good deal of the dislike comes in. No one expected 7, 8, or 9 to feature the OT crew kicking ass and taking names. They also didn't expect to see them wasted and diminished either.

Yoda wasn't a feature or focus of the prequels, but he wasn't treated poorly either. Same with Windu. Mon Mothma wasn't a remote focus in the OT, but wasn't treated poorly. The OT characters could easily have filled those roles or been left off all together. Hard to imagine them being treated much worse. If Lando shows up in 9 I worry he'll just be getting out of jail after a 30 year stint or something. R2 and 3po have to get obliterated, too. That's about all that's left.

Luke's arc is very analogous, as is Star Wars. Obviously Star draws on WW2, what with Empire being space Nazis. But the Vietnam War was also used. The movie after all came out 2 years after the war. For instance George has said that Emperor was comparable to Richard Nixon. And Luke, Luke is your typical Vietnam vet. He starts out as a idealistic young farm boy, who doesn't want to be a farm boy. As such he's developed a rather pessimistic attitude. Thinking his life isn't going to change. Longing for adventure and excitement. Finally he gets his chance adventure. But it comes in the form of a war. And he's is emotionally scarred by it. Also broken marriages, and dysfunctional families are also product of those times, ala Han, Leia, and Ben.

The Raddus hadn't even entered hyperspace. The jump point was behind the First Order. The Raddus hadn't accelerated to light speed but not made the jump. So the ship was still in realspace when it impacted the Supremacy. The Raddus's experimental deflector shields did the rest.

And in the thousands of years of hyperspace, NO ONE ever thought of it? No one? Gee, if I aim ten feet behind my target...

Seriously?

Also, if the Raddus had reached light speed, it would have been massless, that's just relativity. And you also ignore the *INFINITE* amount of energy that would have been required.
That IS the science. You cannot have the benefits of near light speed kinetic energy without expending the energy to get there. There is an unaccounted for MASSIVE energy debt.

And in the thousands of years of hyperspace, NO ONE ever thought of it? No one? Gee, if I aim ten feet behind my target...

Seriously?

Also, if the Raddus had reached light speed, it would have been massless, that's just relativity. And you also ignore the *INFINITE* amount of energy that would have been required.
That IS the science. You cannot have the benefits of near light speed kinetic energy without expending the energy to get there. There is an unaccounted for MASSIVE energy debt.

Maybe people had. But up to that point everyone's ships just went splat. And I just said it was the experimental shields that did 90% of the damage. And I just used lighting speed as a relative term. The ship was probably going .999999999 slower than light speed. Also you can't use science to prove or disprove Star Wars. Star Wars isn't a science fiction, it's science fantasy. It has more in common with The Lord of the Rings, then say Star Trek.

No one is above being tempted by the Dark Side. Even Master Windu contemplated killing an unarmed man. So why is Luke being tempted by the Dark Side so unbelievable?

Windu contemplating killing an unarmed man !? ... you mean a Sith Lord who can summon and use Dark ‘ Lighting ‘ Force power is considered ‘ unarmed ‘ !? :lol ...
As to Luke being tempted by the Dark side ? ... He was , and he was also shown to have rejected it once already ... completely .
That’s why Johnson’s hackneyed twisted version of this character is so reviled , by so many .

Ged .

Last edited:

The Raddus hadn't even entered hyperspace. The jump point was behind the First Order. The Raddus hadn't accelerated to light speed but not made the jump. So the ship was still in realspace when it impacted the Supremacy. The Raddus's experimental deflector shields did the rest.

Again was this clearly seen / understood in the film , or was it explained in some written anecdotal material ?

Ged

Windu contemplating killing an unarmed man !? ... you mean a Sith Lord who can summon and use Dark ‘ Lighting ‘ Force power is considered ‘ unarmed ‘ !? :lol ...
As to Luke being tempted by the Dark side ? ... He was , and he was also shown to have rejected it once already ... completely .
That’s why Johnson’s hackneyed twisted version of this character is so reviled , by so many .

Ged .

Palpatine looked like he was going to surrender, from Anakin and Mace's point of view. Of course we the audience knows he's faking it. But it doesn't justify killing him. If Mace had killed him he would have been breaking Jedi rules and Republic laws (assuming they are similar USA laws). Did Palpatine deserve to die? Yep. But that would have been for the legal system to decide.

And Luke resisted the Dark Side, but that doesn't mean you're free from it for the rest of your life. "If down the dark path you start, forever will it dominate your destiny:

I’m questioning your assertion that Windu was contemplating killing an unarmed man ! ... and if he had i would have thought that he’d have been within his rights to claim self defence , considering what that ‘ unarmed ‘ man was .

Luke had successfully resisted the Darkside ... and who’s to say it wasn’t for the rest of his life ? Yoda !? He’s known to have said things that didn’t exactly , nor actually pan out to be factual either .

Ged

I’m questioning your assertion that Windu was contemplating killing an unarmed man ! ... and if he had i would have thought that he’d have been within his rights to claim self defence , considering what that ‘ unarmed ‘ man was .

Luke had successfully resisted the Darkside ... and who’s to say it wasn’t for the rest of his life ? Yoda !? He’s known to have said things that didn’t exactly , nor actually pan out to be factual either .

Ged

Well raising your lightsaber back to cut a cowering person in half speaks volumes.

The Dark Side is seductive. It's like a drug. If you use it once you'll use it second time. If there's a second time, there will be a third. Light Side and Dark Side, your alignment is a daily struggle. The choices you make from day to day, your emotional state. You can stumble and draw upon the Dark Side. Doesn't mean you'll fall completely. But the Dark Side is something that's inside of everyone. The difference is if you use it or letting it use you.

Seriously?

Star Wars is pure fantasy, not science fiction. Science as an argument is pointless. I wouldn't apply real world anything to Star Wars. Things like PTSD. Meh. Star Wars is to escape the BS of real life.

Good vs Evil. Plain and simple. Take the grey and R1 and shove it. I want the good guys to beat the bad guys. And I still want the bad guys to look cool.

The sequels squandered so many opportunities to have the original heroes actually mentor the newbies in great ways. It's a shame, but I try not to even think of it. I'll still watch Star Wars because I'm a sucker for glimpses of something that could have been great.

Maybe people had. But up to that point everyone's ships just went splat. And I just said it was the experimental shields that did 90% of the damage. And I just used lighting speed as a relative term. The ship was probably going .999999999 slower than light speed. Also you can't use science to prove or disprove Star Wars. Star Wars isn't a science fiction, it's science fantasy. It has more in common with The Lord of the Rings, then say Star Trek.

As someone else pointed out, that wasn't in the movie, you had to learn about it elsewhere. Hyperspace was also used to bypass shields in TFA, so, your explanation doesn't work.

Poor writing, poor storytelling.

The people who questioned it have a legitimate concern. So legitimate, the writer had to make up/come up with an excuse.

We here on Earth came up with that conclusion while watching the movie, meanwhile, people in the Star Wars galaxy, who actually HAVE hyperspace didn't come to that conclusion?!?!

Seriously, thousands of years! Not even hyperspace missiles?

Well raising your lightsaber back to cut a cowering person in half speaks volumes.

The Dark Side is seductive. It's like a drug. If you use it once you'll use it second time. If there's a second time, there will be a third. Light Side and Dark Side, your alignment is a daily struggle. The choices you make from day to day, your emotional state. You can stumble and draw upon the Dark Side. Doesn't mean you'll fall completely. But the Dark Side is something that's inside of everyone. The difference is if you use it or letting it use you.

What doe’s that say about Heroic Rey’s character ?

Where are you getting all that Darkside information from , and more importantly - why do you ( no offence intended btw ) keep harping on about it ? ... as if it justifies how poorly certain characters where written and portrayed .

Ged

He is a Sith! Just because he says, "help me!" It doesn't mean he is surrendering.

This idea that Jedi CANNOT understand that evil people might be manipulative is a false argument. Honest doesn't mean gullible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=larzCyTk59I

Why are supporters of TLJ so easy to read evil into every jedi's actions, while they accept a truly evil person's words, even when they are clearly lying?

Star Wars is pure fantasy, not science fiction. Science as an argument is pointless..

This. We are, after all, talking about a film series where characters landed inside the belly of a creature that lived in an atmosphere-less asteroid and then went for a jaunt outside the ship (effectively the same as walking around in the vacuum of space) wearing nothing more than a breathing mask. And that's in the *best* of the SW films.

M

Star Wars is pure fantasy, not science fiction. Science as an argument is pointless. I wouldn't apply real world anything to Star Wars. Things like PTSD. Meh. Star Wars is to escape the BS of real life.

Good vs Evil. Plain and simple. Take the grey and R1 and shove it. I want the good guys to beat the bad guys. And I still want the bad guys to look cool.

The sequels squandered so many opportunities to have the original heroes actually mentor the newbies in great ways. It's a shame, but I try not to even think of it. I'll still watch Star Wars because I'm a sucker for glimpses of something that could have been great.

Now Star Wars is about arms dealers getting rich. Two incompetent armies killing each other.

Good vs Evil, and epic love as well. Not, "I taxed EDIT Tazed you 18 hours ago for wanting to abandon us, we freed some greyhounds, Ay Papi! I'm in love!"

As someone else pointed out, that wasn't in the movie, you had to learn about it elsewhere. Hyperspace was also used to bypass shields in TFA, so, your explanation doesn't work.

Poor writing, poor storytelling.

The people who questioned it have a legitimate concern. So legitimate, the writer had to make up/come up with an excuse.

We here on Earth came up with that conclusion while watching the movie, meanwhile, people in the Star Wars galaxy, who actually HAVE hyperspace didn't come to that conclusion?!?!

Seriously, thousands of years! Not even hyperspace missiles?

Of course hyperspace can bypass shields. Its alternate dimension. The Raddus strikes the Supremacy right before it crosses over into hyperspace. The ship is still in realspace. And it was the experimental shields that did the damage. Pablo Hildago said if hadn't been for the shields, the Raddus would have just blown away chunk out of the Supremacy.

This. We are, after all, talking about a film series where characters landed inside the belly of a creature that lived in an atmosphere-less asteroid and then went for a jaunt outside the ship (effectively the same as walking around in the vacuum of space) wearing nothing more than a breathing mask. And that's in the *best* of the SW films.

M

Well to be fair , we don’t know how far down the ‘ slug hole ‘ they traveled into the asteroid , nor whether the creature could have supplied a form of artificial gravity due to it’s very nature and size !? ... :lol

;)Ged

He is a Sith! Just because he says, "help me!" It doesn't mean he is surrendering.

This idea that Jedi CANNOT understand that evil people might be manipulative is a false argument. Honest doesn't mean gullible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=larzCyTk59I

Why are supporters of TLJ so easy to read evil into every jedi's actions, while they accept a truly evil person's words, even when they are clearly lying?

Still doesn't justify killing a man that you are not actively fighting. There is a very very fine line between a lawful justified killing. I'm going to try to quote Gandalf here. "Who's to say who should live and die. Many have died who deserved to lived. And many have lived that deserved to die" Yeah I know I butchered that :D

It's still a matter of taking justice into your hands.

Of course hyperspace can bypass shields. Its alternate dimension. The Raddus strikes the Supremacy right before it crosses over into hyperspace. The ship is still in realspace. And it was the experimental shields that did the damage. Pablo Hildago said if hadn't been for the shields, the Raddus would have just blown away chunk out of the Supremacy.

Now you are just dodging...

Hyperspace missiles not commonplace. Viewers needed to get answers elsewhere, Lazy writing and storytelling. Used in TFA. Energy debt. Inconsistencies, etc..

You want us to buy your explanations while you refuse to acknowledge ours. Moreover, we cited the holes in your explanations.

What doe’s that say about Heroic Rey’s character ?

Where are you getting all that Darkside information from , and more importantly - why do you ( no offence intended btw ) keep harping on about it ? ... as if it justifies how poorly certain characters where written and portrayed .

Ged

You mean that fact she's takes a trip to the Dark Side?

Kinda own opinions. I've been trying to piece how the Force works between all the films. The different aspects and all that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back