Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves Tree cut down

peterquill

A man in his sixties has been arrested in connection with the felling of the tree

sycamoregap.jpg

Last edited:
The UK is notoriously soft on pretty much all crime so they wont do any real time. It's a damn shame.
While sad and senseless, the crime is criminal damage which is a pretty low ranked crime in the UK.
I think the max sentence is 10years if damage is over £5k, I'm not sure how you value a tree? There has been reforms over damage to memorials so it may fall under that too, not up on that these days.
If convicted I think these guys will get the thicker end of sentencing due to the public outcry.

Well, if they can determine how much wood could be produced, and go by the 2020-2021 prices of lumber, that should put it in that price range for the 10 years sentence.

It's just hard to fathom.

I mean, how do you punish it enough? Is it sensible to give a kid 10+ years in prison over it? Some people commit violent rapes & murders, or steal hundreds of millions of dollars, and do less time than that.

Well, if they can determine how much wood could be produced, and go by the 2020-2021 prices of lumber, that should put it in that price range for the 10 years sentence.
It is a tourist attraction, so there is probably capability to estimate lost revenue over an indefinate future timespan. That would certainly get it over the threshold.
Got to prove it was them 1st though.

While sad and senseless, the crime is criminal damage which is a pretty low ranked crime in the UK.
I think the max sentence is 10years if damage is over £5k, I'm not sure how you value a tree? There has been reforms over damage to memorials so it may fall under that too, not up on that these days.
If convicted I think these guys will get the thicker end of sentencing due to the public outcry.
Well, they plan to release hundreds of prisoners due to prisons bursting at the seams...so I would be very surprised at a prison sentence for this crime. A fine would be...fine (no pun intended)(y);)

Well, they plan to release hundreds of prisoners due to prisons bursting at the seams...so I would be very surprised at a prison sentence for this crime. A fine would be...fine (no pun intended)(y);)
I'm not sure with this one, the public reaction may swing a custodial, its still making regular news round ups.
I know they're going all out on forensics, which is expensive and not the norm unless extensive. Even then, not to the level they have for this.

I was showing this to my parents tonight. They visited to that area a few years back. They are thinking they probably dove close to the tree, but do not remember the tree itself, so probably missed it. But totally remember it from the movie.
So of course were disgusted with what people do like this.

I was showing this to my parents tonight. They visited to that area a few years back. They are thinking they probably dove close to the tree, but do not remember the tree itself, so probably missed it. But totally remember it from the movie.
So of course were disgusted with what people do like this.
To be fair, a lot of people round here had never heard of it until it was cut down and its half hour from my house.
I only learned about it last year!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back