Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm (after 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm?

I'm working on a little write up about my thoughts on Luke in TLJ, and all the films in general . Where would be the best place to post it? I thought about doing it here. But it wouldn't necessarily be about this topic.

I'm working on a little write up about my thoughts on Luke in TLJ, and all the films in general . Where would be the best place to post it? I thought about doing it here. But it wouldn't necessarily be about this topic.

Probably a thread or an existing thread on that subject matter.

I don't think it's necessarily even projection. It's just grasping for some excuse to brush off the negative feedback. Racism & bigotry work as well as anything. They are hot subjects these days.

No, it is most definitely projection. It is an obsession with absolute most shallow tool to judge someone being thrown about to derail a legit critcism. If anything, the aliens in TLJ were treated worse that the humans because they seem to die first. In general, I dont walk into rooms and count the minorities and gender representation, but the people who do, and they are searching for a trigger, searching for relevance, and looking for a way to get their way. Think of the self-proclaimed "tolerant", open-minded people who shout down different opinions. They dont have an argument, thry just have shouting.

It is a psychiatric defense mechanism, "projection." Where they accuse others of *their* issues.

This is absolutely a problem for a certain kind of person.

I saw a report today that Kevin Feige`s contract with Marvel is up in autumn, can anyone confirm this? To say that he would be absolutely the person Star Wars needs right now would be an understatement. Bob Iger, now is the time for your best Vito Corleone impression.

That's implying he isnt already in negotiations to resign with marvel. Hes got that gravytrain rolling and I doubt he'll go anywhere.

This is absolutely a problem for a certain kind of person.

I saw a report today that Kevin Feige`s contract with Marvel is up in autumn, can anyone confirm this? To say that he would be absolutely the person Star Wars needs right now would be an understatement. Bob Iger, now is the time for your best Vito Corleone impression.

But if you live with this belief system and now have a chance to put your mark on a major movie franchise...

What better opportunity would the virtue signaling lot have than a Star Wars film?

I worry about Fiege because Thanos, for instance, was supposed to be in love with Death, in the comics that is his true reason for wanting the EDIT : stones was to attract her by killing off half the universe. They changed that for Infinity War, I hope he doesnt use all of his Marvel momentum to start virtue signaling.

Hopefully, the fan reaction to TLJ will correct this pandering. If they do the opposite, if they kuck into overdrive, then our future *entertainment* is screwed.

But if you live with this belief system and now have a chance to put your mark on a major movie franchise...

What better opportunity would the virtue signaling lot have than a Star Wars film?

I worry about Fiege because Thanos, for instance, was supposed to be in love with Death, in the comics that is his true reason for wanting the EDIT : stones was to attract her by killing off half the universe. They changed that for Infinity War, I hope he doesnt use all of his Marvel momentum to start virtue signaling.

Hopefully, the fan reaction to TLJ will correct this pandering. If they do the opposite, if they kuck into overdrive, then our future *entertainment* is screwed.

To be honest I know very little about the Marvel universe but I do read a lot of good things about him especially that he oversees an organisation that cares very deeply about the characters and is big on having a plan for the movies. Even the most dedicated of KK supporters cannot say that.

Star Wars was the number one franchise for a very long time and is supposedly Disney`s number one IP so if they are keen to make that the case again they are more than capable of paying Fiege an astronomical amount of money, astronomical. And the prospect of restoring that former glory might appeal to someone of his standing as it seems now that Marvel is bulletproof.

However, that being said... can we agree on one fact? The Last Jedi is the most divisive of all the movies to divide the fandom. While I think that our beloved characters have been... altered in a way I don't agree with. The biggest disrespect being what was done to Luke. I beg you - if you have not, please read that article I posted about his character assassination.

I certainly agree that it appears to be the most divisive... though since I was only 10 when ESB came out, I can't say for certain. I have heard that many were up in arms when it came out...but I was just a wee lass, and was happy for more Star Wars. :)

I don't agree that it's a character assassination, however. I think the director decided to take a radical position with the future of the character, and Mark Hamill did a fantastic job of realizing that vision--regardless of whether or not he personally agreed with it.

I would like to say that i will absolutely like the person that i shall become in 30 more years...but who can know? I may well not.

- - - Updated - - -

BRAVO! Somebody gets it. Look up the names of those people I listed in the earlier post - they have lots of posts harassing people. They outright try to stir the pot any way they can. Here's one of several dummies.

Edit for photographic evidence:

View attachment 830060View attachment 830061

You don't say this crap to the people you want to see your movies, buy your books, comics, toys, etc. It's rude, tasteless, and unprofessional.

That's not an employee of LFL or Disney, though. that is a FREELANCE writer for Star Wars.com.

And that change was clearly the right choice. Thanos makes a much better foil if the audience believes he thinks he's doing the right thing for the universe. Verses a clearly selfish motivation like impressing a girl.

I certainly agree that it appears to be the most divisive... though since I was only 10 when ESB came out, I can't say for certain. I have heard that many were up in arms when it came out...but I was just a wee lass, and was happy for more Star Wars. :)

I don't agree that it's a character assassination, however. I think the director decided to take a radical position with the future of the character, and Mark Hamill did a fantastic job of realizing that vision--regardless of whether or not he personally agreed with it.

I would like to say that i will absolutely like the person that i shall become in 30 more years...but who can know? I may well not.

- - - Updated - - -

That's not an employee of LFL or Disney, though. that is a FREELANCE writer for Star Wars.com.

The biggest problem is the direction that RJ took with what choices he made with respect to Luke Skywalker, Anakin Skywalker, and the struggles that came before hand. This whole, 'let the past die' is a blatant attack on everything we hold with affection. Star Wars is a franchise that gets you emotionally invested and always has been. To say none of those journeys matter and that Luke Skywalker became what he did is an assassination of his character. How can it not be? He tried to murder Ben Solo. Granted he did not and it played a part in his self imposed exile... when did you know Luke to try to murder someone? When did you know Luke to turn his back on all his friends and allies? When did you know Luke to put himself before the galaxy? Why would Luke not bat an eye at the news his good friend, Han Solo, had been killed by Kylo Ren (Ben Solo)? These traits are not Luke Skywalker. Nothing about that signifies anything even remotely approaching who Luke Skywalker was/is. Change for the sake of change, even radical change... doesn't mean good. This is but one of a dozen changes."that are meant to "subvert your expectations." Destroying the morale character of our beloved franchise heroes isn't awesome, cool, hip, or fun... it's a horrible design choice that violates everything in what makes an epic journey.

In narratology and comparative mythology, the monomyth, or the hero's journey, is a common template of a broad category of tales that involve a hero who goes on an adventure, and in indecisive crisis wins a victory, and then comes out changed or transformed. The Iliad, The Odyssey, and yes, even Star Wars I would put up there with the timeless Epics of the hero's journey. Granted it has a sci-fi opera flair, but the point is no less valid. Rian's vision lacks all of this. It has none of it. His new characters are poorly written, disjointed, and filled with horrible, preachy, lazy writing.

Onto twitter girl,

Are we ignoring what she said though? She writes for a place called www.starwars.com - the very source for everything Star Wars related. When you have those in your credentials and you say stuff like that to fans, who feel betrayed... that is very bad. Freelance authors/writers are still employees by contract, and can be held in breach of contract IF there is an ethics clause in the contract, or sued if there is damages done during the contractual work (IANAL). I'm sure that LucasFilm/Disney/Star Wars must have something in their contracts that prohibits actions like this (or I would hope).

Last edited:

when did you know Luke to try to murder someone?

Darth Vader. He almost killed him... then took a second and realized that it was his anger that had driven him to that point, and he pulled back. I reckon the fact that he was about to make a similar mistake many years later is what caused him to snap, and decide to cloister himself away.

When did you know Luke to put himself before the galaxy?

He was certainly more like this in the beginning of ANH... before he knew of Leia, Han, and the plight of the rebellion. Before he answered the call of the Hero's Journey.

One could argue that when he decided to blow off Yoda's training to save Han and Leia (his friends) that he was turning his back on the Galaxy at that point because Yoda was trying to show him that if he rushed to face Vader at that point he would fall into the hands of the Emperor, and the entire cause of the rebellion would be lost. But Luke couldn't see the bigger picture just then... just as he couldn't see the bigger picture when he almost executed his nephew for having taken a path other than what Luke had chosen for him. I imagine that is why Yoda appeared to him once again to help course correct him

Again, i don't have too much trouble imagining Luke being utterly disillusioned in himself to have found all of this at the end of what he'd believed was the "right thing to do". Self hatred is a vile beast, and drives many to make very poor choices....and to continue to lie to oneself while in the midst of it.

In narratology and comparative mythology, the monomyth, or the hero's journey, is a common template of a broad category of tales that involve a hero who goes on an adventure, and in indecisive crisis wins a victory, and then comes out changed or transformed.

It is also often quite usual to see said hero struggle with inner conflict during the story, and just because *that* conflict brings him victory, it doesn't necessarily follow that the rest of their lives will be perfect and free of struggle, conflict, self hate and bad choices. We can be changed in an instant to be sure... but what after that? Is it not up to us to continue in that vein? And does that guarantee that we will not fall again later?

Onto twitter girl,

Are we ignoring what she said though? She writes for a place called www.starwars.com - the very source for everything Star Wars related. Freelance authors/writers are still employees by contract, and can be held in breach of contract IF there is an ethics clause in the contract, or sued if there is damages done during the contractual work (IANAL). I'm sure that LucasFilm/Disney/Star Wars must have something in their contracts that prohibits actions like this (or I would hope).

Certainly not ignoring what she said, but the assertion was that it was unprofessional for someone of LFL or Disney to attack fans. She isn't employed by either, and thus while some may take issue with what she said, she is not acting as an agent of either of those companies which control Star Wars...she is merely expressing her opinion, as are many of us. She also writes for Slashfilm, and various other websites. She is FREELANCE... meaning she is essentially like any other blogger on the net. She isn't an employee of anyone who controls Star Wars, so trying to pin her comments on unprofessional ism within the organization which does control the brand is misguided.

If LFL or Disney feels that she misrepresented the brand, I have no doubt they will terminate whatever contract she has with them. Above all i do not believe the idea some are trying to float that Disney /LFL are so callous that they blatantly don't care about public opinion. It is a business, after all. Disney goes to great lengths to protect it's sterling image. While other sub-companies are allowed to make R rated films for example, Disney will not put their name on the title card... even if it is produced by a subsidiary of Disney.

Last edited:

Murder (noun): the crime of unlawfully killing a person especially with malice aforethought.

Yoda and Obi-Wan make it a point in The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi that Luke must confront Vader. Luke did not outright try to kill Vader. He did not try to murder him. He did not strike out in anger when Emperor Palpatine instructed him to do so in order to kill Vader. In that final fight with Vader, Luke had to do something and he had to do something then and there... confronting Vader and redeeming him. That was his ultimate plan...which was successful (dat speech check doh. Level 100 charisma)! Hope succeeded.

Furthermore, in that scene Luke did not strike Palpatine down or turn to the dark side... he never embraced it. Never. The emotion, tension, and combat in this particular scene are as masterful as any and not as flashy or fast as the prequels. Vader, attempts to use fear and intimidation to make Luke fearful of losing his friends... and his sister. Luke struck back, to defend his friends... to defend Leia. He continued to finish the fight (this is the crescendo of the fight!) and disarmed Vader (figuratively and literally!) Once Vader no longer posed a threat, Luke ceased his attack. He did not strike Vader down and kill him. Murder requires malice aforethought. Intent. Luke never had intent to kill his father. It was at this point Palpatine told Luke if he didn't embrace the dark side, he would die. Vader saw the suffering of his son...knew if he did not turn upon his former master, Luke would die. He begged his father to help. Vader made a choice. He turned away from the dark side... he embraced the good still left in him that Luke sensed. Vader destroyed Emperor Palpatine, finally fulfilling the prophecy of the chosen one and bringing balance to the Force.

Yes, Luke was like that at the beginning of ANH because it was the beginning of his character development. He learned. He faced conflict. He failed. He progressed. He achieved victory and ultimately redeemed a villain. Something nobody else did, not even Obi-Wan. Self hatred and self loathing is what Rian created, they ignore the entire character development of the OT completely.

Luke did struggle. The Empire Strikes back explores this deeply in the cave on Dagobah. His struggles, his insecurities, and even... his fear. If you stick your hand on the eye of a range and burn yourself... do you learn to not do it again? I would certainly hope you learn from your lessons and avoid future failures. Because as the movies have always preached... failure is the greatest teacher.

Last edited by a moderator:

While i understand your point, how many of us after learning from a mistake in our lives are then NEVER tempted to make that mistake again? How many of us nevertheless find we are weaker than we'd imagined ourselves to be, and instead find ourselves making that or a similar mistake--even though we ought to have learned?

What I'm saying is that given what I see in human beings around me--indeed within myself--I don't have trouble believing that Luke made a bad choice at some point and went off the rails. But then i don't tend to go in for the "happily ever after" storylines, anyway. I suppose I prefer a more realistic scenario where it is possible that the hero can still take a misstep, and needs his old teacher to come in and show him where he missed the mark yet again.

Because as the movies have always preached... failure is the greatest teacher.

Agreed... and to my thinking, this is rather the point. Luke FAILED... and (with a bit of help from Yoda and Rey) he was made to see this, to embrace it, and to do what must be done to correct that failure... I.E. help to ensure that Rey will carry on the fight. As Yoda indicated, they are what she grows beyond...and that is the end goal of the teacher: for the student to exceed them. I believe in that moment Luke realized that Rey was the galaxy's best hope to answer the Snoke/Kylo/First order question, and so he got behind using up the rest of his power here in this world to enable her to take that shot, and then he received his eternal reward.

This is merely my view.

Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm?

Luke was engaged in confrontation/battle with Vader and the Emperor when he started to momentarily let his anger take over, a *little* bit different than sneaking up on a child in his jammies tucked into bed and thinking about slaughtering him.

One can’t seriously draw a parallel between those two situations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Luke was engaged in confrontation/battle with Vader and the Emperor when he started to momentarily let his anger take over, a *little* bit different than sneaking up on a child in his jammies tucked into bed and thinking about slaughtering him.

This. The two situations are not even remotely the same. Not even in the same zip code.

Murder (noun): the crime of unlawfully killing a person especially with malice aforethought.

Yoda and Obi-Wan make it a point in The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi that Luke must confront Vader.

Actually in Return of the Jedi Ben fully expected Luke to kill Vader.

From the script:

Ben: You cannot escape your destiny. You must face Darth Vader again.
Luke: I can't kill my own father.
Ben: Then the Emperor has already won. You were our only hope.

Not really getting in on this discussion but I just thought I'd point out that the idea of a Jedi killing a Sith/Fallen Jedi isn't new. Yeah, it's Ben asking but it's a very real option when all seems dark. Yes of course, at that time, Luke refuses because he's young and being young is all about optimism and hope. Luke got older. He changed. It's not an unrealistic truth.

Or maybe the Jedi just get crazy bloodthirsty when they get old.

Yoda and Obi-Wan make it a point in The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi that Luke must confront Vader. Luke did not outright try to kill Vader. He did not try to murder him. He did not strike out in anger when Emperor Palpatine instructed him to do so in order to kill Vader. In that final fight with Vader, Luke had to do something and he had to do something then and there... confronting Vader and redeeming him. That was his ultimate plan...which was successful (dat speech check doh. Level 100 charisma)! Hope succeeded.

Furthermore, in that scene Luke did not strike Palpatine down or turn to the dark side... he never embraced it. Never. The emotion, tension, and combat in this particular scene are as masterful as any and not as flashy or fast as the prequels. Vader, attempts to use fear and intimidation to make Luke fearful of losing his friends... and his sister. Luke struck back, to defend his friends... to defend Leia. He continued to finish the fight (this is the crescendo of the fight!) and disarmed Vader (figuratively and literally!) Once Vader no longer posed a threat, Luke ceased his attack. He did not strike Vader down and kill him. Murder requires malice aforethought. Intent. Luke never had intent to kill his father. It was at this point Palpatine told Luke if he didn't embrace the dark side, he would die. Vader saw the suffering of his son...knew if he did not turn upon his former master, Luke would die. He begged his father to help. Vader made a choice. He turned away from the dark side... he embraced the good still left in him that Luke sensed. Vader destroyed Emperor Palpatine, finally fulfilling the prophecy of the chosen one and bringing balance to the Force.

Yes, Luke was like that at the beginning of ANH because it was the beginning of his character development. He learned. He faced conflict. He failed. He progressed. He achieved victory and ultimately redeemed a villain. Something nobody else did, not even Obi-Wan. Self hatred and self loathing is what Rian created, they ignore the entire character development of the OT completely.

Luke did struggle. The Empire Strikes back explores this deeply in the cave on Dagobah. His struggles, his insecurities, and even... his fear. If you stick your hand on the eye of a range and burn yourself... do you learn to not do it again? I would certainly hope you learn from your lessons and avoid future failures. Because as the movies have always preached... failure is the greatest teacher.

Luke so tries to kill his father in ROTJ. I just rewatched the scene, you can see the rage in his eyes. It isn't until the Emperor complements him on his actions does he realized what he's doing.

Luke confronts his father with the hope of turning him. Luke is already feeling the tug of the Dark Side. And Emperor begins to stoke those embers. He offers himself as a target, much like he did with Mace. Goading Luke into trying to kill him. Luke gives into his hate and attempts to kill the Emperor, but like in ROTS, Anakin intervenes. Luke in his anger begins to fight Vader, but in a lull, the Emperor applauds him for using his anger, Luke realizes what he's doing and recenters himself. This when he gives his famous "I will not fight you father."

The Dark Side is at work with Luke. The Dark Side will make you do things you would otherwise not.

Anakin- Slaughters the sand people, kills a bunch Jedi including little kids, tries to kill his wife and unborn children, tries and later kills his best friend.

Luke- arrogantly kills Jabba and henchmen, tries to kill a man who's asking him to kill him, tries to kill his father, briefly contemplates killing his nephew.

Ben- Kills his uncle's students and turns the rest, stabs his father through the chest.

So is Luke out of character when he comes into Ben's room? Yes, and no. The Dark Side will make you do things "out of character".

Also remember, Master Yoda says that the path to the Dark Side is "Fear. Fear leads to anger, anger to hatred, hatred to suffering" In the scene from TLJ, as in everytime Luke trips up, you see Luke go through fear, anger, hatred. In essence, if you are letting your emotions control you, then chances are the Dark Side is at work in you. But if you are calm and centered, and you are in charge of your emotions, then Light Side can freely flow through you.

Luke- arrogantly kills Jabba and henchmen, tries to kill a man who's asking him to kill him, tries to kill his father, briefly contemplates killing his nephew.

Leia actually killed Jabba..

Luke killed henchmen *trying to kill him and his friends*, and *technically* Leia is also the one who fired the cannon into the deck of the sail barge killing the majority of Jabba’s crew.

Luke’s aggression was always displayed to meet aggression during battle or confrontation. It was never premeditated until RJ had him sneaking into a little kid’s bedroom.

It seems like if RJ had written him just sneaking in and watching a kid sleep with a lustful look in his eyes some of you would defend THAT saying he has a history of being a deviate because he’s into incest as evidenced by liking his sister’s kiss lol.

TLJ’s Luke was not the OT’s Luke, it’s just that simple

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back