Ghostbusters Attempting Spirit Halloween Proton Pack Repair - Advice Needed

Alphatone

Hello RPF,

My first post. I am attempting to repair a Spirit Halloween Proton Pack.

Pack_Repair_0.jpg

I have pulled the wand apart, and found that there is a broken wire.

Pack_Repair_2.jpg

The contact that the wire needs to be reattached to is under a glob of hot glue:

Pack_Repair_4.jpg

1.) How would you remove the hot glue to get at the contact to resolder it?

-Hot glue removal methods alread tried: I tried getting a hot glue gun tip in there to get it out. Couldn't maneuver it because of how the casing is set up.
-I do not own a hot knife.
-I'm nervous a heat gun would warp the casing, since I don't know what the plastic's melting point is as opposed to the hot glue.

Should I just take an exacto blade and try to cut it away?

I have a soldering pencil that I haven't used much, but I'm hoping I'll be able to re-connect the wire to its contact after I get the glue off.

Thanks to anyone who has suggestions for how to get this wire cleaned up and reconnected.

The melting temp of the hot glue should be well below that of the plastic. Use your lowest temperature setting and keep the gun moving. Good luck with your repair!

Either that or just try to bypass the wiring by adding new wire. You could try power mechanical means to remove the glue, but you risk damaging the plastic, so I think you have the right idea with trying to remove bits and pieces of the hot glue away, but this would be a tedious process. Could you just replace the wiring altogether? Are the other end of the wires attached to something you can't desolder or disassemble?

TazMan2000

Can you just tap into the red wire that is still connected and not mess with the hot glue at all?
Just carefully remove a bit of insulation on the red wire and solder there. They both will go to the same place.
Unless of course you've already fixed it :)

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back