NEW (OLD) MILLENNIUM FALCON from SOLO the movie

the Falcon was seen earlier in her life in the prequels, blue stripes and new paint, this is an abomination and historically wrong

It's a barely legible spec in a blink and you'll miss it, throwaway east egg background scene, and only even identified as the Falcon outside of the film. I'd hardly call that solid. It's the same as the Outrider from Shadows on the Empire being CG'd into ANH. Yeah it's "supposed to be there" but it's just a grey blob flying through the sky for half a second in the background.

Something that always ticked me off about the EU and the YT-1300 anyway, is that they always had some carbon copy of the Falcon. Han states in the film, that it's modified. It's clearly patched together and is the spaceship equal to a beat up old muscle car put together with parts from the scrap yard. So, why does every other YT look exactly the same? Every cross section book and cutaway lists all kinds of add on parts and non-standard parts, yet again, every other YT features the same parts. It's lazy and uninspired and I say the same for the cameo in the prequel trilogy. Oh boy, it's got a paint job you can barely make out on screen and someone said it's got dual cannons instead of quads. Super original. :rolleyes

At least this new one does something different. No one ever seems to think "what would the Falcon look like factory fresh?", "what if it had a body kit?", "what if it was some different smuggler's ship?" it's always the same tired clone.

This thing is kinda' ugly but it's at least an ugly breath of fresh air.

Sorry for the rant, I've been holding onto that one for awhile. Ever since the days of Rebel Assault 2 where I finally got to pilot the Falcon... er, the "Correllia Star". :facepalm

Whether it's a pixelated spec or not in ROTS. It was confirmed by Lucas himself that it was the Falcon or Stellar Envoy. We scrutinized the smallest details on this board but want to throw out some others. I can even tell in the pixelated version that it looks more like the Falcon we know instead of the shiny new looking one from the Solo movie. So yes, it is a continuity problem.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Whether it's a pixelated spec or not in ROTS. It was confirmed by Lucas himself that it was the Falcon or Stellar Envoy. We scrutinized the smallest details on this board but want to throw out some others. I can even tell in the pixelated version that it looks more like the Falcon we know instead of the shiny new looking one from the Solo movie. So yes, it is a continuity problem.

I see no continuity problem.....the shiny new Falcon is just a make-over,....all the panelling & extras is a facade,.....under that is the Falcon which could be 60 years old.....Even the interior which looks brand new could be a make-over.....under the yellow upholstery at the seating area could be the same worn cream material

Until we are told that this Falcon is fresh off the production line,...the Stellar Envoy is still Canon

J

Yeah, about Lucas...he says lots of crazy things...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

It's true that Lucas himself said the ROTS Easter egg was the Falcon. But it's an Easter egg. I will lose no sleep -- and I doubt either will he -- if the new canon decides it wasn't the Falcon after all. In fact, I can see Lucas easily making that decision himself -- not because he's EVIL or LAZY or CRAZY but because he's an artist and doesn't take this crap too seriously. Art is more fluid than people sometimes want to accept. In the realm of things he cares about, I'm sure something like this is waaaaay near the bottom.

Even if Lucasfilm decides that, yes, the ROTS Falcon is the same ship that we now see in Solo, it's not impossible to figure out a workaround that keeps the fabric of the universe from unraveling. It had a different paint job during the week it arrived on Coruscant in ROTS. It had just delivered a cargo and the front mandible plug was missing. Who knows, but it's kind of silly IMHO to use the ROTS Easter egg to justify anyone's dislike of the new design on canon grounds. Subjectively, sure, everyone is free to love it or hate it, but the in-universe issues easily work themselves out. There's a 20 year gap between ROTS and ANH. A lot can happen in 20 years.

I still feel it’s a double standard since it’s ok to revise the hell out of the ship pre ANH because it’s convenient for Kathleen and her strategy but they changed pretty much nothing in the thirty years following ROTJ except the known radar dish issue to suck us fanboys in. Kathleen - you should have stopped at Lincoln. I liked you after Lincoln! You didn’t change Abe’s top hat in Lincoln!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I still feel it’s a double standard since it’s ok to revise the hell out of the ship pre ANH because it’s convenient for Kathleen and her strategy but they changed pretty much nothing in the thirty years following ROTJ except the known radar dish issue to suck us fanboys in. Kathleen - you should have stopped at Lincoln. I liked you after Lincoln! You didn’t change Abe’s top hat in Lincoln!

I don't think you can lay that all on Kennedy. I'd argue the more accurate knock on Kennedy is that she gives her directors too much freedom (hence, Rian Johnson jettisoning all of TFA's set-up because reasons). The decision not to change the Falcon that much for TFA was likely more JJ's since giving fans a cleansing "we're not making the prequels, we even kicked George to the curb, here's everything you liked about the OT" porgasm was his main motivation. If JJ wanted to paint flames and puts fins on the Falcon I'm sure KK would've given her blessing. So I really doubt she's so hands on that she's dictating the specific look of ships. Everyone on the production surely knew that the Falcon had to look newer and I suspect Disney marketing played a role in making sure the ship looked different enough to justify selling more toys and kits of a ship that fans have known for 40 years.

Poor Joe Johnston. We all wish we had designed the Millennium Falcon, but would we get our due credit? Ralph McQuarrie's paintings are almost entirely based on Joe Johnston's original sketches right down to some very specific detail. Ralph was adding vision and color to what the ship designers were sketching. Even though the kit-bashed detail which defines our favorite ship was added on the spot by several model builders, the five-foot model was started based on Joe's sketches right down to the four still present slots (top and bottom) in the acrylic rear flaps that were eventually covered up by the 13 "articulating" flaps as the model was evolving. I just want to see our boy Joe get mentioned more often instead of Ralph getting all the credit. They're doing this regarding the Solo Falcon all over the internet because of Ralph's pretty paintings, but it is Joe Johnston who designed the most iconic ship of all time.

They're doing this regarding the Solo Falcon all over the internet because of Ralph's pretty paintings, but it is Joe Johnston who designed the most iconic ship of all time.

I agree, Johnston deserves to be mentioned in the same breath with McQuarrie. To be fair, however, the initial creator/designer was George Lucas. He was the one who put the brakes on the original pirate ship/blockade runner design and gave the team a new direction by suggesting a hamburger shape. He's the one who approved each design and pushed the artists in certain directions and not others. But the current Lucasfilm regime knows the name "Lucas" is hated in some fan quarters while McQuarrie is universally admired.

There will have to happen a lot of "backward-refurbishing" inside the falcon too, to get from "Solo" to Episode IV :
solocopared.jpg

I agree, Johnston deserves to be mentioned in the same breath with McQuarrie. To be fair, however, the initial creator/designer was George Lucas. He was the one who put the brakes on the original pirate ship/blockade runner design and gave the team a new direction by suggesting a hamburger shape. He's the one who approved each design and pushed the artists in certain directions and not others. But the current Lucasfilm regime knows the name "Lucas" is hated in some fan quarters while McQuarrie is universally admired.

I certainly give Lucas credit where it is due regarding initial inspiration for many things, including direction and final approval of things, but I am one who believes the hamburger story is one of the many myths that grew out of the couple of decades following the OT where Lucas stayed conveniently quiet regarding the enormous creative input of other people. If his vision was adhered to strictly, we would have the "kids movies" that he insists to this day Star Wars is. The sublime efforts of the team of designers, production people, actors and story influencers that put this stuff together were working far above kids material while Lucas was busy flying between England and the US trying to manage this operation. We finally got to see what a purer version of his input would have been when the prequels came out. Listen to him speak. The dude still doesn't understand what Star Wars is. Largely because he never took a step back and considered what other peoples' efforts made out of his initial vision. I believe that initially the world convinced itself that everything we see on screen came right out of Lucas' head, while Lucas was all too happy not to mention people like Kurtz, Cantwell, Barry and the many other people whose names were known, but rarely mentioned. Star Wars was a massive group effort made by a bunch of people doing amazing things and it has taken decades for these people to be truly given their due credit.

No offense to those who disagree with my characterization of history. :cheers

To be clear, I do recognize that if Lucas had not reacted to the Space 1999 ship and suggested a non-linear design, we wouldn't have our beloved ship. Thanks, George. ;)

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Factory 1932 Ford Coupe.

LFL hot rod version.

Which one do you choose to do the earthbound Kessel Run?

:)

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back