Star Trek Discovery - Type III Phaser Rifle Build

phil83er

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey,

I thought I‘d share a small private project I‘m currently working on.

Since I needed a short break from another project (link here), and since I'm somewhat starting to enjoy Star Trek Discovery more and more, I thought I‘d start building my own Type III phaser rifle.

Currently I‘m in the modelling stage, preparing everything for 3d printing.

I still gotta work on some detail, but overall making good progress :)
Here are some images:)

Let me know what you think, and if you have any suggestions or input.

And just to be on the safe side:
Nothing to sell here, this is is just a funny side project for myself :)

Greetings,
Phil

0ekhKKJ.jpg

iIAy6uj.jpg

k0hbZnU.jpg

jhKBbii.jpg

EBR88Hx.jpg

mkIKXLI.jpg

Awesome! Will there be any moving parts?

Thanks! :)

Yeah, for know I'm definitely planning the front grip to be able to fold up. The trigger might be one extra piece, as well as maybe some of the dials.

I also want to add the lighting for the rear dial, as well as a display for the kill count, as seen in Episode6
And also, I thought about adding the mount for the flashlight :)

- - - Updated - - -

That is beautiful 3d work!

thanks! :D

I hope that by next week I can start a test print :)
still have to figure out how to split the parts though.

I think I may have already posted these over at The Fleet Workshop, but in case you have not seen them here are a handful of photos of the one that was on display in Vegas (click for bigger):

awesome! thanks! :)

I've found some of those via gogle image search, however the front ones, and the top rear detail one I haven't seen yet in this resolution! so that's going to be a huge help :)

About the size of the rifle I've come to the conclusion, that it is probably about 62 - 64 cm in length.
I've used some images to get a rough reference.

since Shazad Latif is about 185cm in height, and the rifle in the frame is around 34.16% of the Ash Tylers height it would be around 63,2cm in length.
The second picture is not perfect, as Jason Isaacs is in a bit crouched stance. But if I make an estimate of his size when fully standing, the rifle would result to 34.9% of his height. Isaacs is around 180cm so we'd get around 62.8cm.

tZzPkbG.png

VpyTfW2.png

this is really just a rough estimate. Is there by any chance some info on the size? :)

I don't have any concrete size info but your estimate seems very reasonable! It's not a huge prop. Another useful thing will be when the Anovos phasers are delivered. Since the type II and III were exhibited next to each other at SDCC and Vegas, once we know the length of the Anovos type II, that can be used to check scaling as well.

The three "cylinders" on the TOS rifle would rotate and I expected the Discovery rifle might do the same, but from the looks of the prop, they wouldn't. Still, have you thought about making yours have that feature, or is it just too problematic?

I don't have any concrete size info but your estimate seems very reasonable! It's not a huge prop. Another useful thing will be when the Anovos phasers are delivered. Since the type II and III were exhibited next to each other at SDCC and Vegas, once we know the length of the Anovos type II, that can be used to check scaling as well.

I've recently been to Vienna Comic Con, and there also got the info, that my asumption of around 62cm in length should be quite ok.
So I think I'm going to continue with this size. :)

Here's a new image of the progress. The 3d print files are prepared, and the next step will be, making some test prints.

ERXtSze.jpg

The three "cylinders" on the TOS rifle would rotate and I expected the Discovery rifle might do the same, but from the looks of the prop, they wouldn't. Still, have you thought about making yours have that feature, or is it just too problematic?

To be honest, since I couldn't find a reference that the parts would rotate, I didn't consider it.
Though the way the prop is modelled, it wouldn't be to hard to implement some motors :)

That looks great, cant wait to see progress.

Oh man, that is awesome, great work!

Thanks! Hopefully I can show a printed version soon :)

To be honest, since I couldn't find a reference that the parts would rotate, I didn't consider it.
Though the way the prop is modelled, it wouldn't be to hard to implement some motors :)

The TOS rifle was manually rotated, with each "barrel" clicking into place like loading a fresh power source.
You're work is fantastic - looking forwarded to the finished prop!

Just sharing a little update here. Phil and I are working on the rifle at the moment. We printed a prototype and refining some mistakes we found afterwards but so far we are pleased with the results. Attached you see a more or less up to date picture of the rifle. Some parts are missing but already in production at the moment.

Attachments

• philrifle.jpg
    philrifle.jpg
    462.4 KB · Views: 510
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back