Shy Guy

Seraph77

I’ve always thought the shy guys from Mario were awesome, especially in the Paper Mario games. The problem I ran into is that shy guy is too small to wear as a full body costume and be to scale. I decided that I could just make it into a hood that I wear on my head and then wear black everywhere else.

thumbnail_IMG_20171105_172933.jpg

I looked around for frisbees, but I couldn’t find any that were quite the right size. I finally found some cheap plastic plates at the dollar store that were big enough around and had the correct curve at the edge.

Plastic Plate Back.jpgPlastic Plate.jpg

I don’t have any pictures but I drew out the ovals in Microsoft paint and printed them off so that I could trace them onto the plate and make sure they were the same size.

I cut the plate with my Dremel and sanded the whole surface to get rid of the glossy surface (and pencil marks that wouldn’t erase).

I found an old belt at a second-hand store for about a dollar that was a good brown color and the correct width. Sometimes half the fun for me is looking for costume parts at stores throughout the year.

Mask Front.jpg

I used an old nylon to line the inside of the eyes and mouth. After that I hot glued the belt on the mask (this needs to change because it keeps popping off), along with some foam padding for my face. I added an elastic at the bottom to help shape the mask because when I put on the belt at the top it makes it narrower at the top than the bottom.

Mask Back.jpg

I looked for a red hoodie that I could wear the mask over but found that because of my large head it would be better to just custom make a hood. The material I used was also much lighter and cooler. I sewed in two little cone shaped arms without too much trouble. The belt buckle is just yellow felt on a brown cotton belt.

Belt Buckle.jpgHood.jpgArm.jpg

I haven’t done it yet but I will add a propeller so it makes sense for shy guy to be floating around. I also plan on adding some other props because my favorite shy guys were the Mariachi band shy guys with the sombreros and guitars.

Front View.jpgSide View.jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back