Subscribe
  1. Trooper_trent's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2000
    From
    Fort Worth TX
    Messages
    3,068
    Sep 13, 2017, 3:25 PM - The Disaster Artist - Movie about the making of "The Room" - Tommy Wiseau #1

    This isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea. But if you've seen the cult (so bad it's good) movie "The Room" and at least laughed at it, or get any of the thousands of memes it spurred, then you may want to give this a watch.

    I am super excited for this. That movie is SOOO terrible, I can't wait to watch a recreation of the train wreck it must have been to make it.

  2. Mystery Chunk RPF Premium Member PoopaPapaPalps's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2010
    From
    IA, USA
    Messages
    2,885
    Sep 13, 2017, 3:42 PM - Re: The Disaster Artist - Movie about the making of "The Room" - Tommy Wiseau #2

    I'm looking forward to this myself but I'm wondering if it isn't worth picking up the book first to read before seeing the film.
  3. Axlotl's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2001
    Messages
    2,492
    Sep 13, 2017, 7:35 PM - Re: The Disaster Artist - Movie about the making of "The Room" - Tommy Wiseau #3

    This.
    Looks.
    Effing.
    GREAT!
  4. Member Since
    Nov 2009
    Messages
    330
    Sep 13, 2017, 7:58 PM - Re: The Disaster Artist - Movie about the making of "The Room" - Tommy Wiseau #4

    Just from looking at the trailer, James Franco deserves on Oscar! He does a greatjob of nailing Wiseau's weird speech pattern.
  5. Trooper_trent's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2000
    From
    Fort Worth TX
    Messages
    3,068
    Sep 14, 2017, 9:05 PM - Re: The Disaster Artist - Movie about the making of "The Room" - Tommy Wiseau #5

    tcsmit29 said: View Post
    Just from looking at the trailer, James Franco deserves on Oscar! He does a greatjob of nailing Wiseau's weird speech pattern.
    I did naaaaahhhtt. Oh Hai Mark!
  6. RPF Premium Member
    Member Since
    Apr 2010
    Messages
    781
    Sep 14, 2017, 9:20 PM - Re: The Disaster Artist - Movie about the making of "The Room" - Tommy Wiseau #6

    PoopaPapaPalps said: View Post
    I'm looking forward to this myself but I'm wondering if it isn't worth picking up the book first to read before seeing the film.
    never read the book BEFORE the movie.
  7. RPF Premium Member kalkamel's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2005
    From
    Malaysia
    Messages
    1,832
    Sep 14, 2017, 11:50 PM - Re: The Disaster Artist - Movie about the making of "The Room" - Tommy Wiseau #7

    On the contrary, I recommend reading the book! It's one of the funniest I've read and goes into a lot more detail than (I suspect) the movie. You should also listen to the audiobook narrated by Greg Sestero himself. He acts out most of the book and does the wackiest Tommy Wiseau impression ever!

    Can't wait for this movie.
  8. RPF Premium Member NeoRutty's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2013
    From
    Vancouver, BC. Canada
    Messages
    3,888
    Sep 15, 2017, 12:26 AM - Re: The Disaster Artist - Movie about the making of "The Room" - Tommy Wiseau #8

    I'm on the movie before book side.

    I've never liked a book and had the movie be better...

    but I've seen dozens of movies where I enjoyed the flick and then the book was just better and made the flick better.
  9. RPF Premium Member
    Member Since
    Apr 2010
    Messages
    781
    Sep 15, 2017, 4:25 PM - Re: The Disaster Artist - Movie about the making of "The Room" - Tommy Wiseau #9

    totally agree
  10. glunark's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2013
    From
    Hull
    Messages
    2,137
    Sep 16, 2017, 8:59 AM - Re: The Disaster Artist - Movie about the making of "The Room" - Tommy Wiseau #10

    NeoRutty said: View Post
    I'm on the movie before book side.

    I've never liked a book and had the movie be better...

    but I've seen dozens of movies where I enjoyed the flick and then the book was just better and made the flick better.
    Ever read goldfinger?

    - - - Updated - - -

    NeoRutty said: View Post
    I'm on the movie before book side.

    I've never liked a book and had the movie be better...

    but I've seen dozens of movies where I enjoyed the flick and then the book was just better and made the flick better.
    Ever read goldfinger?
  11. RPF Premium Member The Mad Professor's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2012
    From
    Tampa Bay Area, FL
    Messages
    7,025
    Sep 16, 2017, 12:29 PM - Re: The Disaster Artist - Movie about the making of "The Room" - Tommy Wiseau #11

    I can imagine this winning a couple of Oscars and then being marketed as "the best movie ever made about the worst movie ever made."

    - - - Updated - - -

    I can imagine this winning a couple of Oscars and then being marketed as "the best movie ever made about the worst movie ever made."
  12. Nth's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2014
    From
    N.S. Canada
    Messages
    392
    Sep 17, 2017, 1:10 PM - Re: The Disaster Artist - Movie about the making of "The Room" - Tommy Wiseau #12

    Ordering the book tonight. I've watched the Nostalgia Critic review of The Room at least ten times and have been obsessed with Wiseau's strangeness ever since.
  13. cayman shen's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2005
    From
    New Hampshire, USA
    Messages
    7,151
    1 Week Ago  Dec 1, 2017, 8:22 AM - Re: The Disaster Artist - Movie about the making of "The Room" - Tommy Wiseau #13

    Watched The Room last night to prepare for this. My god, the cringy love scenes alone would be enough to catapult this into cult "bad movie" status. It was like a non-English speaking robot who had never met a woman stumbled on an old Christian self-help book on how to spice up a marriage and attempted to interpret it for actual human beings. Wtf?
  14. Nth's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2014
    From
    N.S. Canada
    Messages
    392
    1 Week Ago  Dec 1, 2017, 4:32 PM - Re: The Disaster Artist - Movie about the making of "The Room" - Tommy Wiseau #14

    I actually got the audio book. It is just under 12 hours long. I brought it to work with me and could not stop listening to it, even through my breaks and lunch. I listened to the whole thing in one playthrough and already want to listen to it again. Greg Sestero, the author and Mark in The Room, narrates the book and does all of Tommy's dialogue in a spot on perfect impression of him. He also goes into depth on a lot of the behind the scenes bizarre things that went on during the making of the movie that will really make you appreciate it more when you watch it again, like why Tommy has the water bottle in the famous rooftop scene. I am definitely buying this movie when it comes out.
  15. Trooper_trent's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2000
    From
    Fort Worth TX
    Messages
    3,068
    1 Week Ago  Dec 1, 2017, 9:56 PM - Re: The Disaster Artist - Movie about the making of "The Room" - Tommy Wiseau #15

    Nth said: View Post
    I actually got the audio book. It is just under 12 hours long. I brought it to work with me and could not stop listening to it, even through my breaks and lunch. I listened to the whole thing in one playthrough and already want to listen to it again. Greg Sestero, the author and Mark in The Room, narrates the book and does all of Tommy's dialogue in a spot on perfect impression of him. He also goes into depth on a lot of the behind the scenes bizarre things that went on during the making of the movie that will really make you appreciate it more when you watch it again, like why Tommy has the water bottle in the famous rooftop scene. I am definitely buying this movie when it comes out.
    I know right? I was so pleasantly surprised about the audio book. Greg's impression of Tommy is SPOT ON PERFECT! I laugh every time he speaks as Tommy.
  16. cayman shen's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2005
    From
    New Hampshire, USA
    Messages
    7,151
    1 Week Ago  Dec 4, 2017, 8:09 AM - Re: The Disaster Artist - Movie about the making of "The Room" - Tommy Wiseau #16

    I just bought the print book. I can't wait to dig in.
  17. Rupert_Angier's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2006
    From
    Haleiwa, HI
    Messages
    614
    5 Days Ago  Dec 7, 2017, 6:12 PM - Re: The Disaster Artist - Movie about the making of "The Room" - Tommy Wiseau #17

    I'm seeing this tomorrow night, dressed as Tommy. I hope that if anyone does see it, they'll know what I'm doing.

    On another note, in certain Regal Cinemas, they're doing a double-feature of The Room and The Disaster Artist. Unfortunately, none of the Regal theatres in Hawaii are participating.
  18. Rupert_Angier's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2006
    From
    Haleiwa, HI
    Messages
    614
    3 Days Ago  Dec 9, 2017, 5:04 AM - Re: The Disaster Artist - Movie about the making of "The Room" - Tommy Wiseau #18

    Saw this tonight, and loved it! The Franco boys, as well as the entire cast was utterly brilliant. I’d definitely see this again.
    3293606D-76E3-4997-A8CC-C39D9B9C2AD7.jpeg
  19. Formerly known as Vegeta JoMamma_Smurf's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2000
    From
    St. Pete, FL
    Messages
    3,040
    2 Days Ago  Dec 10, 2017, 6:59 PM - Re: The Disaster Artist - Movie about the making of "The Room" - Tommy Wiseau #19

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 35
    Last Post: Aug 28, 2013, 9:52 PM
  2. Replies: 50
    Last Post: Sep 13, 2010, 2:22 PM