ANH all Vintage build

Seneca

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So I've been doing a ton of research on ANH graflex and I'm trying to make this build 100% vintage. I know that this might not be 100% movie accurate, but I'm trying to get it as close as I can to promo/screen accuracy while keeping it 100% vintage. It has taken me quite a bit of time to hunt down and acquire these parts. Now that I have all the parts I need for this all vintage build, I though I would share my findings. When I can find the time I will post pic's of it all together. First is the early Folmer No, patent # Graflex.
IMG_6055.JPG IMG_6045.JPG
Next is the Exactra 20 calculator. Thanks to Crucible Custom Props! Scott is milling the bubble strip to size for me ATM.

IMG_5815.PNG

Next we have the saberfreak vintage T-tracks. I know that no one really knows for sure where the original grips come from. I personally believe that most likely, a few different types of T-tracks were used over the years and Roger Christian has said a few conflicting things over the years. It's understandable that at his age and how fast he put this lightsaber prop together over 40yr ago that he doesn't recall every detail about the prop, and if there were different sources on different sabers/blasters. That being said I was able to source the last of Kal's T-tracks (Thanks man!) These are the same tracks that Kal sent to Roger Christian when he was recreating the original ANH prop for his personal collection. Here is a photo of the T-tracks before I have cut, sanded and paint them. Also a photo of Roger holding the same T-tracks in this lap that I'm using, and a screen shot of an interview with Christian saying these are the same grips he used on the original prop. As I stated before I'm going for 100% vintage so these work for my build.

T-tracks.jpg IMG_6595.PNG IMG_6317.PNG

Last but not least! This pain in the ass D-ring and ring bracket. So we do not have a photo of the bottom of ANH flex as of today. So all I can do is go off the info we do have. Using the photos that are available and WW. reverse engineering, I had come to conclusion that the ( ring bracket ) is made of aluminum and the D-ring is stainless steel. I was able to get the right size D-ring off of an old vintage case. Here are the measurements of the WW. D-ring and my vintage one. IMG_6603.JPGIMG_6604.JPGIMG_6240.JPGIMG_6216.JPG
I was pretty happy to have found the correct size vintage d-ring! The ring bracket that I was going to use was off the case also, but it just didn't seem right. I really believe that the bracket is aluminum. So I was on the hunt again... Eventually I came across this old, WWII German helmet. I happen to walk by it and just decided to take a look.when I look inside.. I say to my self ( that looks an awful lot like the WW bracket and it's ALUMINUM! SOLD!

Attachments

• IMG_6414.JPG
    IMG_6414.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 114
Last edited:
here are some helmet photos
IMG_6414.JPG IMG_6450.JPG
So I took that bracket out rounded the tip, put the D-ring in it can came up with this. The shiny one is WW.
IMG_6605.JPG IMG_6454.PNGIMG_6613.JPG
It's two toned in color like the movie photos.
IMG_6619.PNGIMG_6618.PNG

This why I think it is aluminum. the color contrast from the stainless D-ring and the color of the bracket don't match. Also in the famous toe pic that's black and white, the bracket look a bit white in the photo.. So I took some black and white photos of mine to try to do a little comparison

IMG_6499.PNGIMG_6606 (2).JPGIMG_6559.PNGIMG_6546.JPG

So now I just have to get it all together!

Excellent work! If I can throw another option into the mix if you are scratch making the bracket; in my opinion aluminum is a little weak for the ring bracket. When I made mine I used a piece of galvanized sheet. It's much more resilient and, to my eye at least, approximates the tone and somewhat matte finish we see in the "Toe" picture. Keep up the good work!

Dave

Dave Graflex_03sm.jpg

Thx Dave, that looks good! The the bracket is not a scratch build I just rounded the top edge a bit. It seem to be very strong. I had to
pry it open with two screwdrivers. I couldn't do it by hand.

- - - Updated - - -

Thx, man!

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. All of you guys who are putting in the work to create 100% accurate, authentic part builds are awesome! It really makes me hope to start one of my own someday.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back