Guardians Of The Galaxy Volume 3

Well that's sad news for me. I know the team changes all the time in comics, your head can spin keeping up with ten zillion characters in some of the comics. But I'm not a big Stallone fan myself, I may not embrace that as much and I'm huge Rocket fan so I hope Rocket gets a stand alone, he surely could carry it as he has in comics.

3 being the last incarnation of 'this team'.

Technically speaking, just 1 person has to leave for it to be a 'different incarnation'.

After volume 2, I'd be happy if the Guardians just made appearances in other Marvel movies. 2 was ok, but it didn't leave me wanting more.

The tricky part about this is that, at least in my opinion, a big part of why the current Guardians films have been successful is their emphasis on self-created families. And that includes the audience itself. You start taking family members out of the equation, and the audience will feel less of a connection to the people on screen. Now, if it's managed well, it won't be an issue, but otherwise, I think it could be a problem.

As for the Stallone team? Meh. I was fine with them just being a hat-tip in the film. If I want more Stallone -- or other ageing action stars -- there's the Expendables films.

The tricky part about this is that, at least in my opinion, a big part of why the current Guardians films have been successful is their emphasis on self-created families. And that includes the audience itself. You start taking family members out of the equation, and the audience will feel less of a connection to the people on screen. Now, if it's managed well, it won't be an issue, but otherwise, I think it could be a problem.

As for the Stallone team? Meh. I was fine with them just being a hat-tip in the film. If I want more Stallone -- or other ageing action stars -- there's the Expendables films.

I was just getting technical...stuff like that gets tossed out all the time. They could ALL up for more post Vol 3 as well. Staying technical you could argue the 'family' changed from Vol 1 to Vol 2 with the addition into the family of Yondu, Nebula, and what's her name (Kurt Russel's assistant :) So, adding another 1 or 2 to the list makes it a different incarnation as well.

I just hope Vol3 gives us Guardians that aren't going through growing pains anymore. My biggest dislike was that Vol2 gave them very little time for growth as it followed the first so closely. I want to see Peter have a little more weight on his shoulders, not so happy go lucky all the time. A home base at KNOWHERE with Cosmo on the crew is another hope of mine

NO MORE STALLONE!.. (please!)

Was the single worst point of the movie for me. Totally took me out of the 'movie'

It is very hard to see him as a character other than "Stallone" after many decades of massive public exposure.
Sort of becomes Stallone in space basically.

I think it could work - even with Stallone. I thought he was able to put aside his typical moviestar "swagger" and honored the role as written.

Before watching the film I completely expected him to take me out of GotGv2 but he didn't. I was impressed at how much restraint he put forth in his acting. He didn't chew scenery or try to consume every scene. Stallone didn't spoil the Ravager funeral scene and I still cried. That's enough for me.

He had more "stillness" than I can ever recall. Sure, some of that has to do with the director and writing but a lot of it has to do with the actor himself. Stallone has a lot more professional discipline than I give him credit for. In the hands of James Gunn I could see this working.

Last edited:
I didn't mind Stallone. He was okay in Vol 2.

I honestly don't want this version of the Guardians to end. The films are a lot of fun. All the characters have their comedic side and while some may find that annoying that they can't take somebody like Drax seriously, I really don't care because these movies are really enjoyable. I feel like we haven't seen enough of them. There are so much more stories to tell with all the non-Star-Lord characters. If Stallone's group turns out to be the new iteration, then I feel like we're in for a big tonal shift from lighthearted humor that most people enjoy down to dad joke type comedy.

I thought it would be fun to speculate on the music that could feature in Volume 3.

I thought this Stevie Nicks, Don Henley track could be a good opener to the film, with Starlord searching for Gamora and listening to this through his headphones feeling a bit melancholic before being called out for moping by Rocket or Fat Thor, changing the mood and giving a moment of levity in that brilliant way that Marvel does.

I'm looking forward to, yet slightly nervous about, Vol 3. When they announced JG was back, I was overjoyed. When he finished the script, he posted a photo of the printout with the added note "all my heart", which could mean something really good... or really bad... for our plucky band of three-time (counting Endgame) galaxy saviors.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back