The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group

I have a vintage Graflex clamp, does that count? :lol

Seriously though, I would have no idea where to even start looking to acquire the other parts (aside from the bubble strip) except maybe getting insanely lucky in the JY.

I tell you Foe Hammer ... once I acquired an ANM2 booster (thx to Franz Bolo) ... and an Armitage Shanks Handwheel (thx to Kurtyboy) after searching ebay for I don't know how many hours ... I knew I could do it ... eventhough for now my vintage BP is a converted male :)

Chaïm

The balance pipe on my Obi is also a corrected male. I almost had a genuine correct female BP, but the person offering it was really holding out to trade it for an ANM2. Which I totally understand, but I was kicking myself because when I bought my booster, the seller had 2. If I had bought the 2nd booster, I would've had the perfect trade bait to score that balance pipe. Lesson learned.

Still way more than happy to have what I have though.

Thanks James ... that's about the size of those from my old stash ... I put 2 of the most weathered away in my all real parts bin for now ... in case I feel the urge to build a Mechanismo/Chronicles variant :)

Chaïm

I would love to have a complete real found parts saber but alas out of my price range for real parts so so jealous of you chaps very nice work

Amazing sabers guys, I saved all the pictures in a folder as references if ever I start on that path :) they really are beautiful.
I don't know if this is appropriate but I have a few questions, reading that thread, it seems you guys kind of teamed up to buy an engine and splitted the parts between you or something. I would like to know if someone can nowedays hope to start collecting parts for that saber or if this really was something exeptional and there is no ways to find those parts anymore.
Second, and maybe this is the inapropriate question, I saw one of those completed sabers sell for 7000 dollars on ebay I think, I was wondering what kind of money you should kind of expect to pay to complete this saber from scratch?
I'm asking all those questions because I really love that saber, I love sabers made of authentic vintage parts but really don't know if this is something I can even consider starting or if this is not even possible to dream about it and I should just consider ordering a Romans replica and be happy about that already.
thanks a lot and congrats again on your sabers :)

There are definitely parts still out there. Two engines were found last year alone (the last one pretty close to where you are, too!). It's tough - and getting tougher (those boosters... woof) - but not impossible yet.

Regarding total cost, I can tell you it's not a cheap build, but things will always be more expensive if you find it with the work already done. Consider that there are years of scavenging, research, contacts made, and deals struck built into each of the sabers you see in this thread. That's a lot of legwork! Personally, I consider mine priceless because of the energy it took to find and source each part. I don't have it in me to do it twice (Chris is obviously superhuman, and capable of more than mere man... it's seriously impressive). All that aside, expect to pay around half that in raw parts, but that depends entirely on where you find them.

Should you start? Mine took 1.5 years of working pretty much every night trying to find stuff. You know you're deep in it when you're calling junkyards halfway across the world because you think you see a jet engine in a blurry image that came up on a google search for "warbird scrap yard" ya know? It takes ahold of you, man. The thing I usually tell people who ask is only start if you LOVE scavenger hunts.

And definitely get a Roman's, man - they're awesome :)

Amazing sabers guys, I saved all the pictures in a folder as references if ever I start on that path :) they really are beautiful.
I don't know if this is appropriate but I have a few questions, reading that thread, it seems you guys kind of teamed up to buy an engine and splitted the parts between you or something. I would like to know if someone can nowedays hope to start collecting parts for that saber or if this really was something exeptional and there is no ways to find those parts anymore.
Second, and maybe this is the inapropriate question, I saw one of those completed sabers sell for 7000 dollars on ebay I think, I was wondering what kind of money you should kind of expect to pay to complete this saber from scratch?
I'm asking all those questions because I really love that saber, I love sabers made of authentic vintage parts but really don't know if this is something I can even consider starting or if this is not even possible to dream about it and I should just consider ordering a Romans replica and be happy about that already.
thanks a lot and congrats again on your sabers :)

Thanks a lot veektohr for your exhaustive answer, it's really nice of you.
your story of contacting junkyards because of a blury image is awesome. I actually love this kind of thing but I think the prices we are talking about here are a bit frightening to me as well as the lack of time. I'm already looking everywhere every night for several vintage guitars models, graflexes, heilands, peaks, budds and other vintage flashes, 4x20 scopes, paterson viewers, blade runner blasters on top of my job and trying to spend as much time as possible building my own guitar models to try to change job...
I guess I'll start with the Roman's and see where I go with that...
thanks a lot again, and keep showing great pictures guys, it's amazing :thumbsup

Hi eethan,

I'm in the Netherlands ... and been on this quest for a long time with hardly any budget at all ... I just got lucky at times and sometimes totally went for broke to get my hands on a particular part ... that said ... for me it's also the quest which is still going to finetune certain vintage parts for another second saber, though as veektohr said the emitters and boosters are getting scarce to track down, so I'll have to make due with a steel replicas instead until I get lucky in the Junkyard or some members give up on there spare parts - hint - hint - ... for now I'm content with the vintage parts I collected sofar ... I just need to put them together ... properly :)

Chaïm

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back